Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Let's Make a Map: Day 8a - Smile Harder  (Read 4723 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 5 - The Northern Gradient
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2024, 02:24:55 pm »

Quote from:  The BOAT (Box Of All Time)
Evergreen Reach (2): Maxim, Quarque

Voting for the proposal in its original form, I like the rain shadow explanation. It makes a lot of sense and it's a cool idea.
It's orginal form or it's edited form? Cause something did change in the west.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2024, 02:30:30 pm »

oh

i think i'm a little lost now, give me the one with bacon

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2024, 02:35:17 pm »

Quote from: The BOAT (Box Of All Time)
Evergreen Reach (2): Maxim, Quarque, TricMagic
I'm mostly fine with Powder's current version. If you want the original, Maxim quoted it.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2024, 02:37:06 pm »

Evergreen Reach (4): Maxim, Quarque, TricMagic, Powder Miner
Quarque is talking about the current version with tropical rainforest and rain-shadow (given the mention of the rain-shadow).

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2024, 02:46:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is unfinished, but I forgot what it's missing.
Pm demanded I unspoilered this.
Vulcania
The area just southwest of Monsoon Point is defined by Mount Moirai, the most massive stratovolcano on the continent. The shadow this titan of basalt casts over the desert of 'Amit is partly why that sun parched land is so dry. Beyond this massive and thankfully dormant volcano the region is shaped by various smaller expressions of vulcanism. Geothermal springs dot the rocky landscape, some safe for humans, others only fit for extremophile bacteria. Metrosideros polymorpha rapidly colonizes after a lava flow, and then slowly gets outcompeted by other species over decades. Until another lava flow clears out more land for it to colonize. Thus in spite of the largely rocky terrain the windward side of mount moirai remains quite green. Of course the greenery and hot springs are not what makes this area coveted in spite of its danger, but the rich ore veins that cross the region.

The land just south of Monsoon point has far gentler, rolling hills (if a bit less gentle near the volcano,) and the forests that cover it have a distinct gradient as more warm weather species shift into dominance over their temperate kin. While still quite rainy, the hills have Monsoon point as a buffer against the worst of its stormy weather, unlike the lands either side of it. The river has carved out a distinct valley through the center of this region, with few tributaries or distributaries. It along with the ash enriched soil gives this area great potential for farmland, if requiring a bit of terracing to get there.

Eastward the hills slowly fade into bogland, though never quite disappearing. The ice wall and high latitude makes this section of land some of the chilliest to inhabit (thankfully peat makes good fuel.) The bog can be difficult to navigate given how samey the vast fields of moss are, but a central ring of hills-cum-fens give a rapid shift to far more diverse plant life. Furthermore, the flora that populate these hill-fens changes north to south and east to west, so it is said that a skilled explorer can determine their exact location with a mere glance at a hill-fen's flowers. On the surface the bog seems fairly resource-poor, bad soil, acidic water, and the hill-fens (while pretty and distinctive) don't offer any valuable commodities, but dig down below this surface view and you'll find vast fossil fuel reserves matched by only one other area on the continent.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 02:55:02 pm by m1895 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2024, 02:50:43 pm »

Vulcania (1): Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2024, 02:53:35 pm »

Vulcania (2): Doomblade, m1895

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2024, 03:15:37 pm »

Evergreen Reach + Kash Floodplain (1): Kashyyk

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2024, 04:08:30 pm »

I think I’d prefer the Evergreen Reach (except, with the cold hills in the eastern region replaced by the cold boglands and oilfields of Vulcania.

I’d also, like to do Vulcania for one of the other swathes (using the cold hills from the original Evergreen Reach proposal for Vulcania’s eastern region).

Evergreen Reach, but with Vulcania’s eastern region (1):  A_Curious_Cat
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 05:08:27 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2024, 06:30:20 pm »

Vulcania (3): Doomblade, m1895, D7
Evergreen Reach, but with Vulcania’s eastern region (1):  A_Curious_Cat

Gahhhhh making a decision here hurts. I like both of them a lot, but I want that volcano.

Avanti!

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2024, 07:34:12 pm »

Gahhhhh making a decision here hurts. I like both of them a lot, but I want that volcano.

I have volcano plans for the south don't worry.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2024, 08:32:16 pm »

I have volcano plans for the south don't worry.

Vulcania and the Evergreen Reach would both be better if they swapped their eastern regions and Vulcania was reserved for one of the swathes further south.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Make a Map: Day 6 - The Southern Gradient
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2024, 08:34:44 pm »

You have decided to give priority to the following proposal for the final map vote:

Quote from: Powder Miner's Evergreen Reach
Evergreen Reach

Evergreen Reach is the broad name for the general area that spills out from Monsoon Point between 'Amit and the Ice Wall - although this is a very large area and crosses distinct biomes, there are some clear commonalities as a result of the intense weather patterns to the north: the presence of heavily forested terrain (usually, go figure, plenty of evergreen pine trees), and heavy inclement weather that lashes across the Reach, albeit usually much more intermittently than in Monsoon Point.

The specifics of the Evergreen Reach vary from West to East, though. In the East of the Evergreen Reach, temperatures drop dramatically and the rough hilly terrain present in Monsoon Point in fact heightens significantly, leading to mostly beautiful alpine forest terrain - except that it is beset by vicious snowstorms for most of the year. A notable landmark out here is a point of the land where the hills flatten out into much shorter, rolling little hillocks with curiously far fewer trees. Though seemingly more hospitable, this area, the Frosthollows, is in fact so much sparser because it is full of... well, frosthollows so cold that they don't let trees grow in them.

In the center, the hills flatten out. The central Evergreen Reach is a temperate rainforest - unbelievably lush, unbelievably green, fed both by brunt of the rainstorms coming down from Monsoon Point and the wide, fast-flowing arterial continental river flowing down from Monsoon Point, central Evergreen Reach is... well, it's wet as hell. The riverine environment leads to plenty of mud, fallen logs, ponds, small lakes, and streams, but other than that it's actually quite a pleasant place to be in, if humid.

In the west, the temperate rainforest grows hotter and transforms into a tropical rainforest, the nature of the forest and species of its inhabitants changing with it (though, somehow, there's even a tropical goddamned pine). The tropical rainforest is, while still most CERTAINLY wet, less wet than the temperate rainforest - you can still expect to get soaked, but it isn't very riverine. Instead, the tropical rainforest rolls across gentle hills, fed by the Monsoon Point rainstorms which gather here and bowl against the Cholades, a short mountain range at the edge of the 'Amit which reinforces it with rainshadow. What you have to deal with in the tropical rainforest is more the underbrush, the fact that the canopy is thick enough that the light is dim, and the many forms of wildlife.

Now that the northern regions of the map have been defined, we will hop over to the southern end for approximately the next 24 hours. Once more, wedged between the Desert of 'Amit and The Ice Wall, north of The Painted Land, sits another large stretch of territory making up roughly another 1/3 of the future warzone. This region will act as the rearmost lines protecting the capital region of The Painted Land. While the terrain may vary wildly, there is something that can be consistently identified across all the region should it ever be divided into three fronts. When determining what sort of terrain makes up these regions, consider the following:

What sort of terrain makes up the region? Is there any difference across the East, Center, or Western fronts?
What sort of weather occurs in the region? Is there any difference across the East, Center, or Western fronts?
Are there any natural resources, landmarks, or otherwise noteworthy aspects of the East, Center, or Western fronts that'd draw the eye/imagination?

Also, just for 100% certainty, keep in mind that the central third of the map remains undefined and the region you are defining now is separated entirely from the northern region in the last prompt by that central undefined region.

Selected Regions:

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 6 - The Southern Gradient
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2024, 09:17:32 pm »

The Solaran Arroyo:

The Solaran Arroyo is the name given to the landscape around the Painted Land that receives some benefit of the river that flows from Monsoon Point to the south but is a stark contrast to the relative greenery of the capital region and generally divided into three distinct zones.

To the West is the Great Dry Sea. Believed to once have been an ancient inland ocean the Dry Sea is a massive salt flat that exists in a depression stretching from the edges of the Painted Land and out into the 'Amit desert where the ground begins to elevate once more and transfers from salt into sand. While outwardly unremarkable the Dry Sea holds a unique characteristic of being regularly flooded by distributaries of the river flowing from Monsoon Point during the rainier season up north. While this outwardly doesn't change the region more than being a bit marshy a month or two out of the year to unwary travelers it presents a grave hazard. While most of the water simply evaporates away over time some of it gathers in rocky depressions and gets trapped under a thick layer of salty crust that prevents its complete evaporation. This resulting in turning the Dry Sea into an invisible minefield where one false step can send a man plummeting into a thick brine pool if he's lucky, or a many dozen foot drop to his death if unlucky. The reprieve for these hazards is the rises in the flats that ages ago were once islands surrounded by water but now are encased in salt, dotted across the Dry Sea like freckles and few in number these little hills covered in vegetation provide landmarks for navigation in the flat expanse.

In the Center is the Sandoras Thornsea, the many mile wide valley entrance to the Painted Lands is host to many myriad of cactus families that take advantage of the presence of water. Here a thousand species of cactus can be cataloged ranging in size from as small as a child's fist to taller than a man interspersed among a splattering of cork oaks and stunted juniper trees. Not impassible but certainly unappealing to cross without proper precautions, the cactus mainly sticks to the banks of the river and the distributaries that break off from it to flow into other parts of the south creating thick bands of cactus that form the main hazard in crossing this region.

To the East stands the Motoro Conelands where volcanic energy is just powerful enough to breach the surface before running out of energy and forming the squat towers of basalt known as splatter cones that give the region its name. Ranging from only one meter in height to over twenty these miniature volcanoes pocket the land in the thousands with many of them still active and needing only a slight disturbance to ooze molten rock from the ground. Despite the danger the Conelands have long been a source of intense mining efforts as the splatter cones have the unique quality of having high amounts of metal in them ranging from common industrial metals to vast quantities of gold. Recent years have seen the innovation of forced eruption where the splatter cones found to be under sufficient pressure are breached and allowed to erupt depositing mineral rich lava to the surface, this done typically during the winter months when the cold winds coming off of the Ice Wall are the strongest allowing for a more rapid cooling of the lava. Besides this in the portion of the region populated by less active and even dormant volcanic vents there is a large coverage of greenery that feeds off the rich volcanic soil and distributaries from the Monsoon Point river that allow for a floral bloom rivaled only by the Painted Lands in its abundance.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 12:39:24 am by Maxim_inc »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 6 - The Southern Gradient
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2024, 09:21:55 pm »

Eh fuck it
Quote from: votebox
Solaran Arroyo: (1) m1895
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9