Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13108 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Design)
« Reply #375 on: October 23, 2023, 06:33:03 pm »

Quote from: votebox
1 - 'Glass Cannon' Glass-Firing Mortar - Fallacy
7 - Piorun Automatic Fowling Piece - Maxim, IronyOwl, TCK, Thanatos Russ, force200, C2M, TricMagic
3 - L'Arsenal De Sa Majesté Modèle 1913 "Fleurs Rouges" Heavy Machinegun - , m1895, Kashyyk, UristMcRiley
--> 1 - But put the name through French-Polish Google translate first: Kashyyk

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 23, 2023, 06:45:01 pm »

The Montagnards will have their time in the sun another day.
1 - 'Glass Cannon' Glass-Firing Mortar - Fallacy
8 - Piorun Automatic Fowling Piece - Maxim, IronyOwl, TCK, Thanatos Russ, force200, C2M, Tricmagic, m1895
2 - L'Arsenal De Sa Majesté Modèle 1913 "Fleurs Rouges" Heavy Machinegun - Kashyyk, UristMcRiley

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 23, 2023, 07:14:09 pm »

I just thought "Automatic Fowling Piece" would be a funny name to be honest, compared to HMG, MMG or Heavy Automatic Shotgun.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2023, 07:20:11 pm »

I can't say I prefer the current top design, but I don't really have a good machine-gun alternative, especially since the vehicle idea turned out to be illegal.

I feel bad about passing on glasstech, but machine shotgun.

For turn four, I'll write up a glass-shell firing artillery piece. I'd love it if that one got some support.

0 - 'Glass Cannon' Glass-Firing Mortar -
9 - Piorun Automatic Fowling Piece - Maxim, IronyOwl, TCK, Thanatos Russ, force200, C2M, Tricmagic, m1895, Fallacy
2 - L'Arsenal De Sa Majesté Modèle 1913 "Fleurs Rouges" Heavy Machinegun - Kashyyk, UristMcRiley

Mainly voting to make it clear that we should go ahead and get the design rolled. If this is going to be our design for the turn we may as well get moving so we can get to the next turns with opportunities for more interesting designs.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

force200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 23, 2023, 07:24:38 pm »

For turn four, I'll write up a glass-shell firing artillery piece. I'd love it if that one got some support.

And even if not, you could always write up a new type of glass-based shell/bullet for existing guns as a revision.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 23, 2023, 07:40:02 pm »

And even if not, you could always write up a new type of glass-based shell/bullet for existing guns as a revision.
Doing a technology that stretches physics as a revision seems difficult, and it'd be opposed because we already have exploding bullets (and barring a complete breakdown of the machine gun due to a terrible roll, we're probably revising the bomb ammo this turn).

It really does have to be a design.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2023, 07:44:04 pm »

Glass bullets do not play with rifling of modern guns. Checked with a quick search, and those grooves cause the glass to compress and crack. They're a bit too hard, so that's the main science that needs explaining to work.

A glass core for our current bullets might work for mass production of explosive bullets? Something like that.

Nin.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 23, 2023, 07:47:33 pm »

I figured a revision for the Piorun would be stripping it down into a more mobile magazine fed Medium Machinegun form that could also be stuck into armored vehicles. 

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 23, 2023, 07:50:57 pm »

I figured a revision for the Piorun would be stripping it down into a more mobile magazine fed Medium Machinegun form that could also be stuck into armored vehicles.
Yeah, but is that more important than getting our exploding bullets functional?

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 23, 2023, 08:21:59 pm »

Maybe!?

force200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 23, 2023, 08:38:17 pm »

Glass bullets do not play with rifling of modern guns. Checked with a quick search, and those grooves cause the glass to compress and crack.
What grooves? The Piorun has polygonal rifling . And for conventional rifling, the problem is easily solved with a sabot.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 23, 2023, 10:35:28 pm »

Glass bullets do not play with rifling of modern guns. Checked with a quick search, and those grooves cause the glass to compress and crack.
What grooves? The Piorun has polygonal rifling . And for conventional rifling, the problem is easily solved with a sabot.

Yeah the Piorun only works because its using unjacketed lead, good luck making a gun that perfectly inserts polygonal bullets into the chamber in the correct orientation every time at a rapid rate of fire. You'd need a completely controlled feed 100% of the way until the gun is fired or casings that aren't cylindrical which compromises the structural integrity of it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 11:04:16 pm by Maxim_inc »

force200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 23, 2023, 11:14:25 pm »

Yeah the Piorun only works because its using unjacketed lead, good luck making a gun that perfectly inserts polygonal bullets into the chamber in the correct orientation every time at a rapid rate of fire. You'd need a completely controlled feed 100% of the way until the gun is fired or casings that aren't cylindrical which compromises the structural integrity of it.
Actually, polygonal rifling also works with normal bullets. Glock pistols, the MG 3 and several modern H&K rifles use polygonal rifling.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 23, 2023, 11:49:21 pm »

Actually, polygonal rifling also works with normal bullets. Glock pistols, the MG 3 and several modern H&K rifles use polygonal rifling.
Uhuh, with nice malleable copper jacketed rounds that under massive pressures of firing deform to the grooves of the rifling.

force200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 24, 2023, 04:22:38 pm »

Uhuh, with nice malleable copper jacketed rounds that under massive pressures of firing deform to the grooves of the rifling.
Polygonal rifling doesn't have any grooves, that's its entire point. It also leaves next to no deformations on the bullet to the point of making forensics more difficult.

And this discussion is kinda pointless anyways now that I think about it, as the soultion to the problem of a glass bullet not playing nice with rifling is to put a sabot that does around it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 04:37:00 pm by force200 »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31