Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13112 times)

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2023, 01:50:26 pm »

Wackiness would be the point of such a vote. Not common sense.

Experimental is any semiautomatic too.

I don't even know what to say to this.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2023, 02:10:30 pm »

Nothing really. Just that it isn't the practicality of steam weaponry that matters when voting that. It's fundamentally unpractical, the only reason to vote that way is for steampunk designs. (Or Steampunk mechs.)

As for the latter, it is noted semi-automatics are not tried and tested at this time point.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2023, 02:26:10 pm »

Nothing really. Just that it isn't the practicality of steam weaponry that matters when voting that. It's fundamentally unpractical, the only reason to vote that way is for steampunk designs. (Or Steampunk mechs.)

As for the latter, it is noted semi-automatics are not tried and tested at this time point.

Why vote for something fundamentally impractical as our starter design that will be used by every person in our army because of the chance of funni steampunk mechs. You're saying we should purposefully give ourselves a handicap because it might lead to something funny.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2023, 02:46:15 pm »

Because it's fun. That is literally the only reason to vote for it. (Also, still waiting on critics to tear apart my design for flaws.)

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2023, 03:13:50 pm »

Because it's fun. That is literally the only reason to vote for it. (Also, still waiting on critics to tear apart my design for flaws.)

Its a rifle what do you want.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2023, 03:30:32 pm »

To be told rather or not it's completely bonkers for using AP rounds, or can't reach the distances it says. I don't know much about guns.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2023, 03:34:47 pm »

To be told rather or not it's completely bonkers for using AP rounds, or can't reach the distances it says. I don't know much about guns.

Tric you've been doing this song and dance for years now of proposing absolutely batshit things and falling back on the defense of "Its just for fun lmao" or "I don't know anything don't judge me!".

You either need to just stop clogging up serious discussions with inane topics and proposals or open a fucking Wikipedia page or watch a youtube video for God's sake and bother to learn about guns.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2023, 03:41:40 pm »

Why vote for something fundamentally impractical as our starter design that will be used by every person in our army because of the chance of funni steampunk mechs. You're saying we should purposefully give ourselves a handicap because it might lead to something funny.
Yes, I'm saying that.

I'd rather try something interesting and unique (in terms of what has been done in prior arms races), instead of something reliable and practical.

I'm aware that coolness is a psychological construct, but I find steam guns to be cool and exciting. I don't find a 'standard' bolt action gunpowder based rifle to be cool or exciting.

Your viewpoint is also valid, and I won't be salty if the rest of our team goes for something more practical than a steam rifle.

It's just a game, and we're all on the same team anyways.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 04:53:12 pm »

Yes, I'm saying that.

I'd rather try something interesting and unique (in terms of what has been done in prior arms races), instead of something reliable and practical.

I'm aware that coolness is a psychological construct, but I find steam guns to be cool and exciting. I don't find a 'standard' bolt action gunpowder based rifle to be cool or exciting.

Your viewpoint is also valid, and I won't be salty if the rest of our team goes for something more practical than a steam rifle.

It's just a game, and we're all on the same team anyways.

1: So yes you're agreeing to be purposefully choosing a handicap.

2: I don't find a steampunk rifle to be cool or exciting, its somewhat north of useless even with rule of cool applied to it.

3: Yes we're all on the same team, its why I'm saying its a silly idea because I don't want to be stuck with it.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2023, 05:06:29 pm »

1: So yes you're agreeing to be purposefully choosing a handicap.

Yes. I think it's worth it in exchange for getting to do something more unique and interesting.

2: I don't find a steampunk rifle to be cool or exciting, its somewhat north of useless even with rule of cool applied to it.

It's okay if you don't share my perspective, the voters will decide, and we'll go with whatever the consensus is.

I disagree that it'll be useless or near useless, unless the game-master himself states that.

3: Yes we're all on the same team, its why I'm saying its a silly idea because I don't want to be stuck with it.

Would you change your mind if we rolled the design and it turned out to be workable?
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2023, 05:45:35 pm »

Tric you've been doing this song and dance for years now of proposing absolutely batshit things and falling back on the defense of "Its just for fun lmao" or "I don't know anything don't judge me!".

You either need to just stop clogging up serious discussions with inane topics and proposals or open a fucking Wikipedia page or watch a youtube video for God's sake and bother to learn about guns.
I did do some research when writing it. But a second opinion is a good point of being on a team.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2023, 05:59:06 pm »

Anyways, here's a votebox.

Keep in mind game rules state each player can only vote for one design.

Quote from: Votebox
0 - Świnka-Kröte M12 Rifle -
0 - Gryf's Szybki Rifle -
0 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle -
0 - Míngxīng Shèshǒu Rifle -

I didn't assign anyone's votes for them, but anyone who wants to vote can just copy the votebox, then add theirs.

Quote from: Line Format
number of votes - name of design - comma-separated list of players voting
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 06:02:05 pm by FallacyofUrist »

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2023, 06:12:20 pm »

For the love if all that is holy please do not do stupid designs.

Steam rifle is unhinged

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2023, 06:24:09 pm »

You know, in Wands Race, I voted for a 'Berserker Array', which is a cannon that uses live soldiers as ammunition. That's my standard for unhinged.

Meanwhile, steam-powered guns, while rare, do actually historically exist.

You are free to vote for something other than the Standard Steam Rifle if you don't want it to exist, though.

Our society is a society of freedom! And of course imperial rulership, but that's only natural.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2023, 08:10:12 pm »

While I agree with the general sentiment that the steam rifle is pretty much the worst possible thing we could vote for we might as well hold a vote and let democracy decide that’s the whole point of these suggestion games anyways. If I wasn’t on mobile I’d make up the vote box myself but just count me as plus +1 for the traditional rifle
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31