Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Keyforged Tavernkeeper's Guild  (Read 1255 times)

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:incessant muttering]
    • View Profile
Keyforged Tavernkeeper's Guild
« on: September 18, 2023, 09:37:08 pm »

Deep in the kitchens of the guild, there's an eight foot giant working a few pots and pans, sampling sauces from the back of spoons and surveying a large flat griddle with frying meats. He motions you over, and asks what you'd like to eat.

This thread is part of the Keyforged forum game. The main thread can be found here.

Guild Members:

The guild will order Ingredients for potential Recipes every Sunday at noon, from the Merchant's Guild. PM me if I'm late for the announcement. Individual characters may also purchase things directly, without using the guild funds.

Each Recipe uses anywhere from three to six Ingredients, ranging from prime meats to foreign spices. The more Ingredients you use, the higher your roll must be to create a successful, tasty Recipe. Cooking Recipes uses your cooking stat, which levels up semi-arbitrarily at a rate we will determine later. You may also Brew using Ingredients, and create Beers, Wines, Liquors and Liqueurs. This uses your Brewing stat, which levels up similarly to the Cooking stat.

Feel free to roll your own cooking checks. The guild's chefs will document and research additional recipes for non-affiliated cooks to use. Additionally, if non-affiliated cooks have ideas for additional recipes, they may post their ideas to Elliot.

Additionally, you may Serve patrons, which uses your People skills. These level up when you make good conversation, faster when your character converses better.
Spoiler: Menu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Larder (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:18:12 am by sodafoutain »
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Richard Stallman's Kind Communication Guidelines

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keyforged Tavernkeeper's Guild
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 09:41:57 pm »

Name: Elliot March
Brewing: 1
Cooking: 3
People: 0
Brief Description: Elliot March is a half-giant from the frigid north, and he came to Keyforged as part of the founding guilds to establish a place to share the recipes of his ancestors. He likes long nights, short mornings, and delicious beer. He will usually cook meat roasts and savoury, starchy sides.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 09:42:33 pm »

Nice members roster. Nice and visible.

Name: Blacktooth Ripclaw
Brewing: 0
Cooking: 4
People: 0
Brief Description: He is a very matter-of-fact lizardfolk. If you ask for something, that is exactly what he will prepare. Meals in the marshes often are made of large insects, and small rodents and amphibians. If that doesn't match your pallet, best not to ask to be surprised. The dwarves and other races in the south are naturally more resistant to diseases and hearty of stomach, so Ripclaw is not accustomed to catering to allergies and special dietary needs. The king of flavor, those served often finish anyway if the food can get past their eyes to their tongue. Blacktooth gives full happy bellies, with maybe some morning sickness to the more sensitive northern races.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 01:55:20 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 11:12:50 pm »

Name: Mysterious Stranger
Brewing: 4
Cooking: 0
People: -1
Brief Description: You can't describe Mysterious Stranger in a civil manner, he has limbs and all the makings of a person, but hes just not right, furthermore from the smell of things he's already drunk! He comes from elsewhere to here for the purpose of making and consuming booze, quite clearly.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 03:06:20 pm »

Finally finishing getting setup, Elliot takes stock of his stores. Two barrels of salt pork, each about 150 lbs, plenty of carrots, potatoes and celery and cookery enough for a whole kitchen. The provided gold from the guildhall in his homeland, numbering 150 coins, should be enough to stabilize for a while without taking too much into the red. Numbers didn't come easy to him, but he was already reasoning it would be amenable to pay 5 gold to cooks per weekand about three to people who waited. The water could prove to be a problem, so he was hoping a construction guild got here quickly enough before he had to try drilling his own well. He expected there to be much hunting in addition to purchasing, and the greatsword he brought with him from the armoury of his clan would assist in that. Lovely, buttery, monstrous prime ribs and delicious roasted hocks danced across his vision as he started a fire in front of the tent, balancing a massive stewpot on a set of wrought stakes he brought with him. Good, by the time the adventurers get their boots on, he'd have something warm to feed them.

He finds 20 pounds each of carrots, potatoes, and celery, in addition to the 300 lbs. of salted pork. Using a previously memorized recipe, Elliot Cooks a hearty stew, combining half a pound each of carrots, potatoes and celery. Elliot rolls a 16! Adding his cooking stat, the quality of the food comes to 19, meaning he has cooked a High Quality Adventurer's Stew He sets the price for a bowl at 2 Gold, derived from the cost of the ingredients (five silver each) and the quality of the meal.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 07:41:04 pm »

Mysterious Stranger Plunders some of the Guild's Carrots, more Carrots, and yet more Carrots for the purposes of Brewing into a slow yet deadly poison that simultaneously kills the brain and liver Carrot flavored Booze to help warm his stomachs er and the guts of anyone else who pays for it supposedly.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 09:17:49 pm »

Mysterious Stranger Plunders some of the Guild's Carrots, more Carrots, and yet more Carrots for the purposes of Brewing into a slow yet deadly poison that simultaneously kills the brain and liver Carrot flavored Booze to help warm his stomachs er and the guts of anyone else who pays for it supposedly.

The Mysterious Stranger Brews a Carrot ...Wine? by using five pounds of the guilds carrots. He rolls a 13! Combining his brewing stat for a 17. This means he's brewed a High Quality Carrot ...Wine? This produces 3 bottles of Carrot ...Wine?, for 12 servings. It's worth eight gold per serving.

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 12:45:13 am »

Over in The Adventurer's Guild we have decided that some food will give buffs to certain situations. So maybe ya'll can cook or brew something to deal with the roles dealing with cold in the arctic cave dungeon!
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 12:49:59 am »

Mysterious stranger takes 5 pounds of Potatoes to be Brewed down into Woodka, an alcohol that warms the heart, and the stomach, and the bladder. . .
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 02:57:41 am »

Speaking on behalf of the Cartographers, this guild has 3, would you like to describe your building guildmaster? Or shall I simply assume a generic tavern?
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 08:24:41 am »

Speaking on behalf of the Cartographers, this guild has 3, would you like to describe your building guildmaster? Or shall I simply assume a generic tavern?
Likely a single story building with the kitchens in the middle, where the cook can look out to the rest of the patrons. Kind of like a yaranga, but built tall, so Elliot can stand up straight comfortably.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 08:29:22 am »

Alright, the point of a guild is to expand gameplay for everyone, not just guildmembers.

If this is a cooking themed guild, we should have a way for people to prepare produce and meat to eat.

Getting edible plants could be something to collaborate with the Alchemy Guild on, but let's assume there are foods that can be prepared with stuff readily available to Keyforged. Such as Rabbit Stew. It can be a given players can hunt a rabbit and pick some potatoes, so it can be a "free" meal. This can alternatively be a vegetable stew, and people can use those two interchangeably.

I think players should be able to say:

I attempt to cook rabbit stew

In the IC thread, and one of our members flip a coin 3 times. If any of those times were a heads, the stew succeeds. If it fails, it is ruined. Players may only attempt to cook once a day.

There isn't any benefits or even ability to keep it yet, but it will be something to do for fun that working with other guilds can have a benefit.

Is this acceptable GM March? Or would you like a different way for the guild to expand activities for all Keyforged players?

He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 11:48:06 am »

I think extending the concept of the cooking to all players makes more sense, but only guild members may use the guild's Ingredients and Serve Patrons. So long as everyone is fine with keeping track of their cooking stats, but your method might be preferable to lower the average sheet cruft.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2023, 10:26:30 am »

Da'Lir scuttles into the Tavernkeeper's guild. It's a little odd to see him here as he's very much a scavenger and known to eat all kinds of things he comes across. However, he comes with a request; he wants someone to brew him some very pure, high-proof alcohol. The taste will be unimportant.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 06:33:22 pm »

I've been selling a lot of food in the merchant guild, but maybe we should have some limitations on success rate, or times per day or ingredients required?

I see there is a start to it in OP but maybe we should iron it out. I did propose coin flips.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 06:35:18 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.
Pages: [1] 2