Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Matchless KungFu  (Read 17681 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The Matchless KungFu
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2023, 07:46:33 am »

What's the fortune jade for? How do I 'obtain new blessings'? Or what even are blessings anyway?
edit: nevermind. I'm just daft. You can simply use them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 10:36:36 am by Il Palazzo »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2023, 12:55:56 pm »

Alright tried this out a bit, seems fun enough. Just ended my first life by challenging an inner disciple, winning, and then figuring I could go challenge her mother, who was also an inner disciple. The Old Lady then beat me to death  :o.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2023, 06:16:01 pm »

One of my most neglected training areas has been defense. I generally do a pretty good job of avoiding overwhelming opponents, and my tactical prowess allows me to dispatch evenly matched opponents quickly, so I just don't end up getting hit very much.

But recently I came across a briar of deadly thorns, presenting an opportunity I could not pass up. After carefully making my way to the center of the prickly patch of piercing plants, I set up a campfire and aligned my meridians so that the gentle warmth of the fire would allow my flesh to mend just as quickly as it was pierced. Thus embraced by the opposing yet balanced forces of harm and healing, I settled into a deep meditation.

When I awoke I found that my repeatedly pierced and rejuvenated bones had become hard as iron! I no longer fear fang nor flail, so let my opponents do their worst!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2023, 05:24:31 am »

How do you land on that demon island again? My new character gets eaten by the shark, dumped at the 'dock', and then invariably killed off-combat before he can get out of the water. What am I supposed to do there?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2023, 09:28:07 am »

You can apparently take the shark route if you "have a great deal of vigor", but the alternative is to just use Fly on Water to skip your way across the water over there, so... Considering how easy it is to get that, I'm not sure who the shark route is supposed to appeal to, honestly.

Anyway yeah, the island is just due north of the main area, you can even scroll out there on the map screen and look at it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2023, 09:40:40 am »

I can't jump on water for shit. I've got the skill, but it's either my horrible timing or some janky lag with inputs that makes me just plunge into water four out of five tries. Or maybe I don't understand what the skill does. Like, it's just about jumping off the surface of the water, right? Like how you first train it?
The shark doesn't eat a whole lot of your vigour, btw. Like maybe 200. But then it dumps me at the dock, and the jumpy fuckers that wait for me there take like 700 every second with their concealed weapons (at least I think that's what this is).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2023, 10:18:26 am »

Yeah, there's definitely some timing to it... You basically want to hit the jump button the moment before hitting the water, but not too early that it counts as a double-jump and you lose out on some momentum. Still, better to err a little on the early side than on the late side. Properly timed, water skimming is a very speedy mode of travel.

No idea about the welcoming committee though, haven't been over there yet myself. Could potentially try sneaking? Although there are occasions where someone locked onto you will stay locked even through stealth...

On that note, for anyone who hasn't used a midnight robe yet, give it a go for funsies. It doesn't actually seem to care about time of day, it's reusable, and it goes on top of your armor/equipment instead of supplanting it. And the detection decrease is massive; your detection circles are reduced to like half of their normal size.

EDIT: Okay yeah, just took a quick trip over there, and I'm pretty sure that's supposed to happen. The dudes will target you regardless of stealth and do that funky move of theirs to delete you so the story can progress. If you're quick, you can actually run up to them while they're on the ground and initiate a proper battle with them, where they're not nearly as dangerous... Still very much playing by their own rules, but eminently beatable. I ended up killing like 7 of them with my loadout before going down, despite there only being about 5 of them on the island... They come back shortly after being defeated (even after massive overkill) to add their hurled owies to the crowd until you're eventually overwhelmed.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2023, 12:24:09 pm »

Yeah, but the story progressed when my first character going there was snuffed (well, captured). Nothing new happens when my current character dies there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2023, 03:42:07 pm »

You're supposed to rescue your previous character.
Apparently, best strategy is to just run with a high vigor character, probably eating Shell pills and Astringents like pez.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2023, 08:22:18 pm »

The first time I climbed up the side of the mountain and jumped straight across to the top of the tower. Almost did the thing too.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2023, 05:28:35 pm »

Cool new feature(s): If you have a sect then have a child, the child will give you the Bulletin Board when they join you as an adult!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Training hint that should save you a lot of time: The wooden weapon(s) and covert weapon(s) that increase Kung Fu gain add their value to your training!
You can accumulate training experience MUCH quicker!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2023, 03:30:10 am »

Uhhhhh... There appears to be a taming bug. I'm not sure of the details currently, but fighting an animal and applying at least 5 stacks of misfortune, using Ordeal Sigil, and then conceding the fight appears to result in the animal demanding items from you (of a value at least greater than... 0), and then... Becoming tamed.

This allows you to tame more than one animal of a type if you don't have the Beast Speech karma.

...it, uh, it also allows you to tame elite animals. Like lizards and dragons.

So some of the worst skills and debuffs in the game combine to become hilariously powerful in a way that makes absolutely zero sense. Haven't tamed a dragon quite yet, but the lizards I've made into pets would contribute to combat by automatically activating their very powerful skills on my behalf, despite my not having fulfilled the move criteria for activating it.

EDIT: Also I've noticed people running around with pets of their own now. A man just ran past with a chicken and dog (both listed as the man's pets) in tow. Never seen that before.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2023, 10:59:15 am »

I've seen people with pet dogs (and I think chickens) before in previous versions; so that's probably not connected with the bug.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2023, 11:44:05 am »

I better get me a pet dragon before they fix this bug...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2023, 04:53:17 am »

So I have a question I've been pondering. All of yall talk like there is a map. But for me there's no map, you just unlock new squares as you go and make your own map. Am I missing something?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5