Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Battleship: HMS Invincible (Detonating Magazines for Everyone)  (Read 4023 times)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Battleship: HMS Invincible (Detonating Magazines for Everyone)
« on: September 08, 2023, 06:17:17 pm »

Approximately 15 miles off the coast of the Isle of Glastov, HMS Invincible, The greatest battleship that has ever been built, is steaming along at 11 knots. The sun is high in the sky, the water blue-green beneath the ship, the sounds of sailors grumbling about this or that punctuated with hearty laughter and jaunty stories. Below decks, the berthings are near silent, shipmates playing poker, reading, or sleeping for later. The engines thrum softly beneath all of that, driving the ship through the water, leaving short trails of smoke. The guns are manned only by the normal skeleton crew to stop fires and unwanted firing. The bridge is relaxed and talking about their most recent patrol in the north sea. The mess deck is being cleaned. All in all, It's peaceful.
   One of the lookouts reports to the bridge via sound powered phone. "Air contacts! Bearing 290 relative! My god..." He drops the phone. Those air contacts are carrying torpedoes and bombs.

GENERAL QUARTERS, GENERAL QUARTERS! ALL HANDS MAN BATTLESTATIONS! GENERAL QUARTERS, GENERAL QUARTERS. ALL HANDS MAN BATTLESTATIONS!

Quote from: ENS Chadwick

You were hanging out in the ship's armory as the new JO in weapons division. The small arms before you are great. Several machine guns of various calibers, weights, and rates of fire, some small cannons, pistols beyond reason, short rifles, and shotguns, plenty of small grenades and ammo to last at least 1 day of brutal close quarters combat, should it come down to it. When the call came to man battlestations, [19] you were more than prepared. You memorized your battlestation: assistant gunnery officer for #3 Turret.

Spoiler: ENS Chadwick (click to show/hide)

Quote from: HMSN Johnson

You had just finished patching up some poor shipmate who had broken his hand in an unfortunate altercation with a wall. You knew better, but the "wall" wasn't in bad shape. As you clean up, doc walks in. "Johnson, we've another patient. I'll need your help in the surgery room."
   When General Quarters was called [13] You were about as prepared as most others, having been caught a bit off guard. Luckily, you're in the right place as a corpsman.

Spoiler: HMSN Johnson (click to show/hide)

Quote from: DCFN Jones

You were tired. Like ridiculously so. Ludicrously even. After a quick shower, you were out like a light when you hit the rack. [2] You do not wake to the sound of General Quarters. God help you.

Spoiler: DCFN Jones (click to show/hide)

Quote from: GMSN Goldstine

After a quick inventory of all the ammo in the aft magazine, you stop to actually just admire the rounds. Massive fuckers those are. 15 inch shells, both armor piercing and high explosive. Jesus H Christ, there's nothing that could possibly survive that kind of shell. [11] When General Quarters sounded, you were as prepared as most others. Your battlestation is in #1 magazine.

Spoiler: GMSN Goldstine (click to show/hide)

Quote from: LTJG Sorn

As you sit on the bridge and entertain the bridge watchstanders with the tough life questions (and blaze some lower enlisted's QA qual card), the lookout can be heard through the 1XJV1 circuit. He repeats what was written above. A cursory glance outside shows dozens of planes all marked with the crest of Cantolia. They are carrying bombs and torpedoes. Even as this knowledge enters your brain, more planes crest the horizon from over Glastov. [17] Relatively calmly, you pick up the 1MC and give the order to set General Quarters. God help us all.

Spoiler: LTJG Sorn (click to show/hide)

(I plan on this being a bloodbath. We shall see if it is.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 07:59:22 am by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: HMS Invincible
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 07:03:40 pm »

Dream about shore leave, that one island we visited where they mix rum and soda. Fireworks light up the night sky at the beach, the smell of roast pork in the air. All your worldly troubles fade when you fall asleep!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 07:05:49 pm »

Ensign Chadwick immediately heads in the direction of his battle station. Will he pass any of the other players' locations on the way?

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 01:07:58 am »

Seaman Johnson would be readying up for future casualties. Does the new patient needs surgery now actually? Assist the doc if so, otherwise just prepare and do HM stuff
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 01:24:09 am by The Canadian kitten »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 01:15:26 am »

Ensign Johnson
Bro, you are a seaman. Ensign is O-1.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 01:24:35 am »

Ensign Johnson
Bro, you are a seaman. Ensign is O-1.

whoops, fixed

wouldn't want to be demoted mid battle

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 11:14:12 am »

(Just waiting on Sorn and Goldstine.)
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 09:46:46 pm »

TURN 1

Sailors scurry about, going to their various GQ stations, many looking distraught, hopeless and otherwise disgruntled. Many are caught unprepared and are thus going to their battlestations with no flash gear. Some are prepared, donning their flash gear and manning the rep lockers in record times. Yet more still are asleep, having slept through the alarms (Ahem, looking at you DCFN Jones.).

Ensign Chadwick immediately heads in the direction of his battle station. Will he pass any of the other players' locations on the way?

You head down to the lower deck, as is the pathing to your battlestation. You’re quite a ways away, but to your knowledge, there’s yet to be enemy ships spotted. You pass by GMSN Goldstine, on his way to help load ammo to the #1 and #2 guns. He passes without comment. On your way to your battlestations, you see sailors terrified at the thought of dying here and now. You also see sailors dutifully prepping for the oncoming onslaught, prepping the fire hoses, donning FFEs, bringing gear from the repair locker. You sprint to you station at #3 Turret. [9] You stumble when the first bombs strike home. You don’t lose your footing, but you do slow to make sure your feet land fleetly. Behind you, the passage collapses as the bombs go off.

Seaman Johnson would be readying up for future casualties. Does the new patient needs surgery now actually? Assist the doc if so, otherwise just prepare and do HM stuff

Luckily, you were in the right place at the right time. You quickly and efficiently set material condition zebra as you go about your standard GQ duties. It is kinda weird to run a drill like this right now, but you’re not one to judge. You go to the surgeon. He has a patient with a broken arm needing fixed. You have plenty of gear around for use to help the patient. He’s a bit squeamish, though. [19] You don’t flinch or even clench as the bombs hit. Not even once. You count five hits. That’s a lot of potential casualties. This one might have to wait, but the surgeon is already trying to set the bone, seemingly unphased by the explosions.   

Dream about shore leave, that one island we visited where they mix rum and soda. Fireworks light up the night sky at the beach, the smell of roast pork in the air. All your worldly troubles fade when you fall asleep!

Dreams of your last port call enter your mind. Off the island of Gortunga and the Junju Archipelago, where the rum was plenty and the women plenty-er. The smell of roast pork is distant. In fact, you don’t even know if that’s in real life or just the dream. You relax into the dream, letting all your worldly troubles fall away with them.
   [11] At least they would be if those god damned bombers would leave you… You awaken to all the lights being on, nobody in berthing, and utter silence aside from the groaning of beams as they sag under their own weight. After just a few moments, you realize you’re at GQ. Not only that, but you’ve been hit. At this point, it hardly matters what repair locker you go to.

Quote from: GMSN Goldstine

You make your way through the deck and toward #1 Magazine. [7] You briefly fall when the bombs hit. You pick yourself up and continue on your way.

The bridge is in utter chaos. You see the initial bombs fall. [9][15] The bride is hit with shrapnel from one of the bombs hitting the deck. You are barely hurt and as such are able to keep up morale on the bridge.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 02:11:08 am »

Keep heading towards Magazine #1.

(Sorry about not posting yesterday, had some stuff come up.)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 02:16:41 am »

Ensign Chadwick looks around for a split second. Wait, this isn't Turret #3! I must continue until my task is complete. Although if I pass Berthing 0-3-320, I should probably give a little shout, like, "hey, get out of there, man!" or something.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 05:58:29 am »

(Sorry about not posting yesterday, had some stuff come up.)

((You're good. If you gots stuff going on, that's more important than some rando's game. If push comes to shove, I'll just have your character wait where you were/should be fo you to come back.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 01:26:35 pm »

If it hardly matters, I'll go to the nearest one while the adrenaline wakes me up. Hopefully I haven't been out long enough for the ship to sink on us.

If someone passes by shouting something like "Hey, get out of there, man!" I'll reply something like "Aye Aye sir!" and get out of there, man.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2023, 01:35:48 pm »

Wait for wounded to arrive

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 10:50:19 pm »

TURN 2

As the bombs fall and impact the ship, sailors are thrown here and there from the explosions. Many are fine, but a few don't survive.

Ensign Chadwick looks around for a split second. Wait, this isn't Turret #3! I must continue until my task is complete. Although if I pass Berthing 0-3-320, I should probably give a little shout, like, "hey, get out of there, man!" or something.

You know where you're at. This is because you know where you aren't. Using this, you can deduce your current location by where you should be, but aren't. You don't pass that particular berthing, but you do pass by a ton of scared sailors. [19] You are basically fine when the ship is rocked by another explosion. You manage to get a bit closer to your station. You are in the Aft Mess Deck. All around are sailors being treated for minor injuries, fitting out for rapid DC and overall readying to fight the ship.

Wait for wounded to arrive

The first wounded man stumbles in, assisted by his shipmates. He has a broken leg, the bone protruding from his thigh, blood oozing from the wound. He has a bit of ripped cloth as an ad hoc bandage. Then another patient. Then another. Then another. Plenty of patients. (3) ((I'm not going to put too many patients to deal with, because that would be ridiculous to deal with)) [7] The continuing explosions make you unsteady and you lose your balance for a second.   

If it hardly matters, I'll go to the nearest one while the adrenaline wakes me up. Hopefully I haven't been out long enough for the ship to sink on us.

If someone passes by shouting something like "Hey, get out of there, man!" I'll reply something like "Aye Aye sir!" and get out of there, man.

[5] You roll out of your rack, obviously not prepared to suddenly be awake for GQ. As you gather your bearings, one of the other damage controlmen happens by. "GET THE FUCK UP! WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!" You're response is an affirmative. After slapping on your uniform haphazardly, you stumble into the passageway. The nearest repair locker to you is aft at about 2-0-347. You make it there in time for another explosion. [7] The nearby explosion of a bomb penetration knocks you over in the passage.

Keep heading towards Magazine #1.

You continue to make your way to the forward magazine. You pass by a ton of sailors, but you are making great time. [7] A bomb blast aft sends you reeling. You manage to stay awake, but it definitely slows you down.

The bridge is still in chaos as they run around like chickens with their heads cut off. [11] You are relatively unaffected by the bomb blast aft. There's more pressing matters, like dealing with the enemy attacks.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 12:02:14 pm by Sosoku234 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2023, 12:47:31 pm »

Get up and check what equipment is left, hopefully the whole ship isn't on fire already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6