Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Escape from Motel Hell 3 [Community Thread: Turn 3B]  (Read 2864 times)

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Motel Hell 3 [Community Thread: Turn 2B]
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2023, 11:57:11 am »

How about no guns? At least not on the imps.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2023, 12:59:09 am »

I like the sound of giving critters guns, but maybe not give them out for a bit, gotta make the players earn them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2023, 03:00:39 am »

I also think we should avoid giving the imps guns just yet.  We don’t want a TPK just yet…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2023, 06:31:09 am »

Turn 3A [Community Phase]

So there were a lot of ideas... I included what I could and left some stuff to be resolved later, taking into consideration what seemed to be the most popular along with what seemed to work best with everything else. This is all tentative so if you guys would like changes, big or small, do bring them up! Also I didn’t make a lot of the smaller images just yet - figured making those wouldn’t be very relevant right now, but they’ll be included in the Player update. There is a big summarizing image at the end though.

"I serve none! Have at you!"

Acquire chair leg from furniture pile; bludgeon Pseudo-Zopyrus into submission.

Code: [Select]
d20… 20. Critical success!
Attribute bonuses negated due to critical success.

Zopyrus Clone's reaction roll:
d20… 5.

The sturdy wooden chair leg feels like a majestic mace as it is pulled out of its resting place and into the hands of its new owner. [Prince Zopyrus acquires item: Superior Chair Leg]

Suddenly, the ground beneath the furniture pile begins to crumble! But with heroic sense, the prince manages to leap away just before the floor collapses along with the furniture pile into the darkness below with a loud crash. Through the gaping hole, a sub-basement level can be seen, infested with spiderwebs. Pipes seem to be running along parts of the room, as an unsavory scent wafts from below. ...A sewer system?

Turning toward his now pale-looking clone, Zopyrus paces forward and swings his new weapon in disciplinary fashion, the bludgeon landing hard against his target’s shoulder!

“OWW! OKAY, OKAY, STOP!” the clone cowers in retreat, hands covering himself as he is reduced to a quivering ball of fancy clothes. “I concede to your terms! A shared rule would be most… acceptable!”

Meanwhile, near the collapsed flooring, a swarm of ants emerges out of a nearby anthill, congregating near the triumphant Zopyrus. The mass of tiny insects seem to be dutifully lining up, as if ready to do the Prince’s bidding.

Fienna hurls wind-cutter magical attacks towards the rotting floor until it breaks open into a gap she could fit through, and then peers into it to check safety.

d20… 14.
Attribute modifier: +7 (INT)
Total Roll: 14 + 7 = 21.

Fienna’s fierce magic slashes through the rotting floorboards, which turn out to be much more durable than they appear. It’s soon evident that the boards were not damaged at all, but made to appear that way, as one of the destroyed planks reveals a text stamped on its back that reads "ACME Fake Rotting Boards: Diverting attention from your actual structural weaknesses since 1930".

Fake rotting or not, the boards eventually give way to force, and a hole is revealed extending down into a room below. The passage down is dark, as is the room itself, but certain striking peculiarities can be seen as far as the candlelight from above reaches. The familiar diagram of the occult symbol drawn on the floor of the current room can be seen in identical fashion on the floor of the room below, the hint of burnt out candles lurking around it. The rest of the room is in darkness, but as far as one can tell, it bears a disturbing resemblance to the room the group is currently in.

(There were several possibilities for where the floorboards might lead - the recursion room, a set of sewer tunnels, or simply another entrance into the sub-basement. Decided on the recursion room for now… I realize it was supposed to be connected by a door, but this sort of works, I think?... Alternatively we could have a door from the starting room lead into the recursion room (as was originally suggested), and have this area be something else. Honestly I have no idea what works best here XD)

If safe:
With more wind magic, she whispers at the Fienna clone in the distance
who's being verbally hurled at with conspiracy theories. "Viens ici.", meaning "come here". Then, glowing green sigils appear on her hands and she begins to float downward through the hole.

d20… 7.
Attribute modifier: +2 (CHA)
Total Roll: 7 + 2 = 9

The passageway down looks to be safe enough, as Fienna delivers her beckoning whispers to her clone. The other Fienna glances her direction, but makes no immediate move forward, seeming hesitant to comply.

Fienna soon begins her floating descent down, slowly making out more familiar shapes in the dark. From where she now stands, she can make out the same eerie outline of a different but identical pile of broken furniture in the same relative location, and a scattering of boxes much like the ones she had investigated earlier, near the far wall. In the corner, a cryptic sheet of paper rests near a familiar patch of rotted flooring, a hole already present in them, leading further down. And all about the room, eight sets of skeletal remains lie in faded disarray.

Sora attacks the foul "Fienna Clone" woman with a jumpkick.

d20… 14.
Attribute modifier: +3 (STR/AGI)
Total Roll: 14 + 3 = 17.

Fienna Clone's reaction roll:
d20… 15.

Sora’s jumpkick is swift and his aim is true, as he launches himself at the frigid mage. Fienna clone is quick to react however, dodging to the side, but not before taking a minor glancing blow to the arm. She grunts out in discomfort, retreating before examining her limb, though the damage seems trivial.

With gritted teeth she growls, the hostility in her eyes growing fiery. “Agh! You bully! You're just like the rest of them!” She points at the other clones, her glare shifting briefly towards them, before darting back to Sora, arms raising in preparation to defend herself.

Meanwhile, Sora clone smiles in satisfaction, joining the real Sora at his side. "Yes, good! Let us teach this demon a lesson!"

I go up to the brawling Zopyrodes, make a thoughtful face, point to where the demon witch is trying to escape through the floor, and say, "A true royal like yourself would always be the first to lead the rest of us into a potentially dangerous situation like that, right?"

d20… 15.
Attribute modifier: +4 (CHA)
Total Roll: 15 + 4 = 19.

The cowering Zopyrus hears the suggestion, nodding emphatically as he takes the opportunity to retreat away from his counterpart. “Y-yes! W-what a sound idea! I shall lead us into the unknown, then!...” he stammers, more than eager to disengage from the beating he was taking. “...Err–I’ll just be over there then, leading the charge, heh!…” He shoots a nervous glance at his club-wielding twin before hurrying towards the hole in the corner.

Peering down into the darkness where Fienna is exploring, the clone prince carefully makes his way down, grumbling irritably to himself. Soon he is down in the room along with Fienna, looking around in the dark. “Uhh… so what is this place, anyway…” he ponders idly, before seeing the sets of bones clattered all about the ground. “AGH! What the hell!? T-this is too freaky!” he shrieks, taking cover behind Fienna, his head jerking around anxiously.

(Slightly unsure what the imps’ reaction to the recursion room should be)

Meanwhile, near Mephi, a fly is buzzing about, whizzing past his ear every so often and being a mild nuisance. The ground soon shakes again to the periodic tremors of unknown origin.

(Decided to have the fly follow Mephi since he seems to be the least occupied character atm)

Spoiler: Community GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Motel Hell 3 [Community Thread: Turn 3A]
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2023, 07:25:33 am »

Did this count for progress? ehh... maybe? probably not though. Besides, i'd be inclined to count the players immediately jumping to violence negatively in that equation.

I think the imps' reaction should be feigned, whatever it is. They should be aware of it's nature in reality. Though Finna's clone won't be going into the recursion room, her reaction would just be rolling her eyes and sighing at the others' acting. Maybe she can do that, before jumping down to the hole next to her, to escape the fight, since the hole is so close. Maybe it'll get the players to follow?

It might be a bit early for this, but I do have a few ideas regarding the recursion hell room. Going down the hole under the furniture in the recursion room, should deposit them in the next intended area (the sewer) via non-Euclidian geometry, as if they had jumped down the hole in the starting room.
As should the furniture piles in any further versions of the recursion room.

Going down the other hole (in the top right) should bring them to the next version of the recursion room, one looking like it literally has been there for hundreds of years, with the entire structure crumbling.

After that, the next version of the recursion room is the illusion of a massive cavern underground with large lakes and the floor covered with sand. This is an illusion of course, and trying to go outside of the physical bounds of the room, the players will simply be met with an "invisible" wall, possibly bonking their head on the wall. The furniture pile, the magic circle, and the hole to the next recursion level are still there, of course.

As for those who want monsters with guns, i do have an idea for a certain encounter with goblins, as part of an half-formed idea for a (quite silly) puzzle, involving a (possibly bottomless) jug of (highly dubious) milk, a cat with telekinetic powers and the aforementioned goblins. Which i suppose could be gangster goblins now. Any interest?

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2023, 10:40:35 am »

Please continue, I love silly ideas.
Also please ensure that the milk is those the cat can digest without probelms

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2023, 12:35:31 pm »

Also please ensure that the milk is those the cat can digest without probelms
You shall have to be my guide in that regard, then.
But if you're worried i intended it to be some vegan plant "milk", hell no. The initial intent was for the milk (meaning it's source) to be something far weirder. An infamous little piece of Bay12 forum lore. >:D for teh meeeeeeeeeeems!!!

Though i'm flexible on that front. Besides, i'd need the community's effort to flesh out the puzzle anyway, as i'm genuinely an unimaginative person.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2023, 01:40:01 pm »

As someone who haven't been on the forums long enough, I'm scared

For some reason the first thought that popped into my head was the classic chicken, fox, seeds puzzle

Which would be pretty boring.

Is there a half formed outline of an idea for the gangster goblins?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2023, 02:09:38 pm »

We should avoid making things more confusing for no reason, since I can't tell what is going on anymore >_>

The new room should have the two new clones, for the people who didn't have any before, hiding in the new boxes. One of them rustles and the clones who arn't occupied elsewhere go over to investigate. Then the two clones can give exposition on "what happened here" later.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2023, 02:30:27 pm »

As someone who haven't been on the forums long enough, I'm scared
Wait for King Zultan to come on. He knows exactly what i'm talking about. I just need someone else to name it. Else it'll seem like i'm trying to force some weird shit into the game. To be fair, i am weird, but this isn't my invention. I'm just making a joke out of it.

Is there a half formed outline of an idea for the gangster goblins?
Nope, i don't even know where i came up with the idea for goblins to have that damn jug in their possession. The gangster part was only tacked on to make the whole scenario funnier, and because someone wanted monsters with guns.
To be truthful. I literally only have a partial skeleton of the whole scenario. The cat, the goblins, the jug. With the real puzzle i guess being "how to get that damn jug." rather than the whole scenario. The inclusion of guns on the goblins is an unexpected boon though, as it prevents the players from simply roflstomping the goblins. Now a puzzle needs to be constructed around that skeleton.

The basic idea i had with the goblins is that this is a gang of goblins hiding out in the sewers (the next area we're going to) and they have this room... basically a hoard of random pieces of useless junk. With the jug being the centerpiece of their pile of trash... because it's actually worth something... to an extent. If one's incredibly hungry/thirsty. This room is meant to be off from the "main" path, which leads to the room with The Cat.

We should avoid making things more confusing for no reason, since I can't tell what is going on anymore >_>
Oh no worries. I'm just making future-future plans here. nothing related to immediate stuff.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2023, 06:20:50 pm »

The jug has the signature of a legendary milker known only as “The Master” written on it.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2023, 11:52:46 pm »

The jug has the signature of a legendary milker known only as “The Master” written on it.

Yup... :P

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2023, 04:43:06 am »

I feel that misuse of that milk could anger the spirit of the milker and summon his spirit, who would then tell the members of the party that they aren't doing things right and how he'd do things.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2023, 04:57:24 am »

I feel that misuse of that milk could anger the spirit of the milker and summon his spirit, who would then tell the members of the party that they aren't doing things right and how he'd do things.

The imps’ real names are all “Pathos”.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2023, 11:19:54 am »

Turn 3B [Player Phase] is now in progress!

During this time, suggestions can still be made, but keep in mind that players are currently inputting their actions.

Spoiler: Community GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5