Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natural_skill and automatic job assignment  (Read 486 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Natural_skill and automatic job assignment
« on: August 03, 2023, 09:31:55 am »

The wiki states that trained gremlins will hunt, because of there natural ambusher skill. How is that? Is this because of automatic job assingment? Will this also wor with other skills and labour? If I create a intelligent-pet-mole with natural_skill miner, will he help mining?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Natural_skill and automatic job assignment
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 12:11:35 pm »

I don't think it affects the actual hunting labor nor would it provide free feline laborers should one modify it as you suggest.

i believe this is due to the way cat behavior is implemented, or rather, any creature that has a natural skill in ambusher, will perform the various 'hunt' activities of cats or, less commonly, peregrine falcons.

that means running around killing fluffy wamblers and leaving them to die on the lip of your barrel of spiced rum so when you go to take a swig you get a little bit of rotten wambler in your mouth GOD DAMN IT

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 01:13:37 pm »

Natural skills that intelligent pets have show up as activated jobs (at least in 0.47.05). But if you want a mole to mine, they'd have to be able to equip items (a pick in this case), so they'll need the tag EQUIPS and a body part with GRASP. (I might be forgetting something -- been a while since I tried something similar.)

i believe this is due to the way cat behavior is implemented, or rather, any creature that has a natural skill in ambusher, will perform the various 'hunt' activities of cats or, less commonly, peregrine falcons.

Vermin hunting is governed by HUNTS_VERMIN and DIVE_HUNTS_VERMIN, not the ambusher skill. There's also VERMINHUNTER (=cat behaviour) which combines several tokens.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 01:30:08 pm »

Oh thats right about the mining.

But say I give an ape a natural skill in crafting, will he do the crafting I set as task in the workshop?
Will bears do beekeeping if I give them the appropriate skill? even if I can't set the job manually?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 01:48:05 pm »

Those might also require a GRASP body part, but I'm not sure.

But yeah, they should do the tasks they have a natural skill in (unless I remember horribly wrong).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 03:42:02 pm »

But yeah, they should do the tasks they have a natural skill in (unless I remember horribly wrong).

You're spot on. It's one of the selling points in Masterwork's fisher gremlins - they have natural skill, so they'd go out and fish up fish, though they lacked some kind of token to let them bring the fish back to storage themselves. But this basically meant you only needed one hauler to handle collection while the gremlins dredged up potentially huge amounts of fish.

So basically make sure they got a grasp and if you want some extra insurance, can wear stuff, and boom, got you some free labor.

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 04:41:01 am »

Cats and falcons hunt because of the HUNTS_VERMIN and DIVE_HUNTS_VERMIN tokens respectively, not because of any natural skills. Neither have ambusher natural skill anyway
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)