Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: Post whatever you want  (Read 12049 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Post whatever you want
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2023, 09:25:48 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_Officers%27_Training_Corps

Yeah, sounds a bit like it.

Boot camp in the States is equal parts indoctrination and breaking down your mindset with very basic handling of tools your branch might be exposed to.  I was on a submarine, for instance, but I still had to go through all of the destroyer and carrier related stuff.

We had to stand watch with a gun that was clogged with concrete.  The gun had a laser pointer on it though, so people could tell if we screwed around with it.
We got tear gassed.
We used a fire extinguisher to extinguish what looked like 1 propane fire in the floor.  When it was my turn the nozzle was stuck in the floor grating and they yelled at me because I didnt yank it out fast enough.
We also did basic swimming and using wet clothing as a bouy.
We fired like 20 rounds and 4 shotgun shells off.
We did a moderate amount of marching drills too.  Mostly basic stuff like dressing and walking in step.

And 'battlestations'.  The grand test was something that they made an effort to discourage us from talking about.  It included stuff like maneuvering a mannequin that moaned at you if you moved to fast and working together to move 'dud' munitions out of a flooding room.

Overall, the basic training was for breaking down our resistance to military living more than to prepare us for actual skilled service.  After basic I went to another school for my actual job.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2023, 09:28:53 am »

I can not open the website, but thank you for your introduction!
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2023, 06:05:33 pm »

Someone please invent a better medical scanner.

Having to drink polyethylene glycol is seriously annoying.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2023, 05:29:36 am »

Someone please invent a better medical scanner.

Having to drink polyethylene glycol is seriously annoying.
At least it's not as bad as having some radioactive dye nonsense injected into your blood. Feels weird feeling cold stuff pumped around your body, your brain just telling you "bro why do you feel your blood"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2023, 04:00:27 am »

But radioactive dyes are a part of balanced breakfast!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2023, 07:40:01 am »

Good night ! And hoping that you can have a good time with your family during this wonderful festival !
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2023, 10:44:11 am »

ONE-UP
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2023, 02:25:30 am »

Took me a minute to remember that this isn't a Novel thread.

Also Novel what does the stuff in your signature even mean?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2023, 04:26:53 am »

Good night ! And hoping that you can have a good time with your family during this wonderful festival !
I actually managed to get a mooncake over the weekend. A lot harder to get them in the UK :P

Took me a minute to remember that this isn't a Novel thread.

Also Novel what does the stuff in your signature even mean?
Hums with potential is a pretty good line. It has spirit, like an engine roaring to be used

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2023, 08:57:32 am »

For someone who glories in the use of words a particular person currently much in the news appears to be continually unconcerned about his misuse of the word "refute", when he seemingly just means "deny" (or, if he will, repudiate) rather than provide anything approaching actual rebuttal.

(This is just to loquaciously vent something that's been bothering me since the original news first broke. I have no firm opinion on his guilt.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 09:16:17 am by Starver »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2023, 09:05:03 am »

It's on point... he popped up in my autoplay once and I was like, sigh give a chance... 10 minutes I clicked him away thinking somebody is acting smarter than they are, and it's a little too obvious.
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2023, 11:04:41 am »

It's on point... he popped up in my autoplay once and I was like, sigh give a chance... 10 minutes I clicked him away thinking somebody is acting smarter than they are, and it's a little too obvious.
I remember when he told his audience to tear up their ballots as voting was pointless then a week later asked his audience to vote for Ed Miliband

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2023, 06:26:25 pm »

Lol imagine voting for Ed
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2023, 06:31:43 pm »

Funny thing is if it's humming, it's not potential - that shit's kinetic!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2023, 04:51:22 am »

Oh come on.... I was there a week or so ago when the laptop[1] was started up, configured for UK, I had typed on it on the UK keyboard and had produced the quotes-character from <shift>2 (and probably £ from <shift>3). It was a working UK keyboard, everything was UK personalised.

I just had to go over and look at it because instead of "s it was giving @s (and probably vice-versa, didn't check; but it was also giving #s in the place of £, etc). Went through the entire Time & Language settings, nothing changed, nothing obviously US-Keyboard/language, sole Language Pack is English (United Kingdom), and all the rest of the choices are UK-centric where it seemed necessary. There's even "ENG UK" explicitly in the systray, but it's all US typing (tested in applications, command prompt, Start|Run... given that prior windowses could certainly not synchronise GUI, application and command prompt language settings under certain circumstances).

But I fixed it, eventually. You want to know how? "Time & Language>Typing>Advanced keyboard settings".  It was set at "Use language list (recommended)", which should have been suffucient - after all, there's only the one language pack (UK one) even installed according to elsewhere in the Settings hierarchy. But, it turns out that if I change it to the sole other option of "English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom" then we get our £ back and " in the right place (where it definitely originally was).

Much apart from the godsawful reorganisation of the Settings under the latest version(s?) of Windows (seems like a drive to reduce the 'top level' classifications, by nesting and redirecting further in the 'tree' of selections), it definitely changed without any obvious reason (or indication), or even having US(/generic-international)-keyboard down as being used anywhere. (In-between checking if this was anything to do with it, I also went into "Text Services and Input Languages>Advanced Key Settings" and changed both the Switch Input Language and Switch Keyboard Layout sequences to Not Assigned. The "To English {UK, etc}" was already "(None)", and the only explicit shift possible. The ">Language Bar" is hidden, and "Docked in the taskbar" is greyed out, leaving only "Floating On Desktop", which is of course unselected.)

...so solved. For now. Until some update/restart undoes my probable-kludge. Grrr...

[1] Mentioned, both before and after the fact, over in the Computer Help thread. But, as I've just helped myself, I'm definitely not seeking assistance on this issue. Just venting about it. I really dislike how Windows has been made to look simpler and more intuitive but actually become drastically more complicated and less easy to use, behind the camoflage...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19