Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to change the direction of the bridge?  (Read 920 times)

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
How to change the direction of the bridge?
« on: July 04, 2023, 12:32:38 am »

:'(As a new player of the dwarf fortress,I have tried a lot of different strategies to defend my fortress, however the construction of a bridge really confuse me!How could I change the direction of the bridge when constructing ,which button do I need to press in the building menu ?
 :P  Please help me ,fans from all over the world !
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to change the direction of the bridge?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 01:38:50 pm »

This question really belongs in Gameplay Questions.  That being said, I’d direct you to the wiki article for “Bridge”, however I’ve just looked at it and it appears to be lacking when it comes to answering your question…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 02:03:19 pm »

While placing the bridge -so after pressing "b" then "g", but before pressing enter to finalize- it will start as retractable, but you can change it to raising by pressing w,a,d,x to choose the direction it raises in. The direction chosen will show as an arrow at the top, after "Bridge," and you can play around with it until you hit enter.

If you've already built a bridge it's too late, deconstruct it and start over.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 03:34:07 pm »

These keys are listed in-game with the following appearance:

waxds:
Raise Dir

w up
a west
x south
d east
s default / no direction

the most confusing thing about bridges is that when you select the "direction", you are selecting which edge will become the closed gate. you can confirm your selected direction by looking at the white arrow that appears next to the building name.

So if you press 'w', to select north, when the bridge is raised with a connected lever, an impenetrable wall will appear at the north edge of that bridge. if you press 'a', to select west, the same thing will happen, and so on...

's' reverts the bridge to its default state, which is to simply disappear when a connected lever is pulled.

This question really belongs in Gameplay Questions.  That being said, I’d direct you to the wiki article for “Bridge”, however I’ve just looked at it and it appears to be lacking when it comes to answering your question…

why even reply lol

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 08:03:25 pm »

Greetings from a far easten country, China!As it was the first few posts in the Bay12 game forum,words fail to express my gratitude.
As the version of my DF is v50.06,its construction seems to be different from the classic one.Firstly, in the new version, the construction of the bridge is pressing'b''n''b'.Then, because in the new version if you press wasd,it will move the map .I've just press'x',however,nothing happened.
Thanks for your remind, I'll mention it!
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 05:01:17 am »

One quick question.  Are you running Steam, or Classic?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 08:34:01 am »

Um…to be frankly, the DF version that I play is just downloaded from the official website of Bay12Games the day before yesterday .You know, the youth as my age in China was unable to get economical independence .Considering such fact and my poor English level so I choose the classic version.

By the way ,I’d want to say that the DF was not so popular in my country ,before I came to this official forum, I’ve searched every corner and tutorials in the Chinese social media about the construction of bridges in DF(or 矮人要塞 in Chinese )but failed ,what I found was just some basic introduction ,they were all very interesting but useless to me .

Hopefully great master DF players could pay attention to the players on the other side of the world ,DF has no boundaries !☺️ However, if you couldn’t help me solve the problem I’ll still thank you a lot for the mention , because in DF ,’losing is fun!’
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 04:50:48 pm »

Um…to be frankly, the DF version that I play is just downloaded from the official website of Bay12Games the day before yesterday .You know, the youth as my age in China was unable to get economical independence .Considering such fact and my poor English level so I choose the classic version.

By the way ,I’d want to say that the DF was not so popular in my country ,before I came to this official forum, I’ve searched every corner and tutorials in the Chinese social media about the construction of bridges in DF(or 矮人要塞 in Chinese )but failed ,what I found was just some basic introduction ,they were all very interesting but useless to me .

Hopefully great master DF players could pay attention to the players on the other side of the world ,DF has no boundaries !☺️ However, if you couldn’t help me solve the problem I’ll still thank you a lot for the mention , because in DF ,’losing is fun!’

See this post and the replies to it.  I would suggest that you try downloading the latest version (v50.09 as of this post) and see if the problem is still present.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 11:38:22 pm »

Thanks a lot for your kind replies and guidance. Now I am more clear about the bugs of the new version DF ,anyway in such a fantastic game some small bugs were not so crucial .
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟