Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Work order conditionals  (Read 2070 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Work order conditionals
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2023, 10:29:40 pm »

Grazers which are not assigned to a pasture (such as pets) must be fed.
Pets? you mean "cavern and lava exploration probes"? those only need to be fed if they aren't "put to work".
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2023, 04:31:03 pm »

So if you take a look in your "\Dwarf Fortress 0.47.05\dfhack-config\orders\library" folder (if you aren't using DFHack I have no words for you) you'll find a pretty comprehensive set of work orders that Myk and I put together. Including meal prep. While they aren't perfect we worked hard to minimize cancellation spam (it makes me insane) and they are pretty good examples of how to use work orders (I'm particularly proud of the armor & weapons ones).
I generally embark with a slightly modified version of clinodev's craftswarves embark, with enough ores to start out smelting bronze immediately and arm all dwarves and furnish at least reasonably good quarters immediately.

Other critical workflows with multiple steps that generally benefit from conditionals are soap and steel. 

I find if I clutter up the manager menu with too much stuff, I end up with tasks that never get done, so I try to use it for the critical, complicated ones, while keeping it simple (i.e. if less than X produce Y) with the others.

I try to use custom stockpiles and other things (like limiting workshops to Legendaries in the relevant skill) for when I want only quality craftsdwarfship for certain substances (like candy or aluminum or cut gems), or to manage stress if someone is going batty from hauling rocks outdoors while it rains elf mucus or something vile like that.

I'll definitely take a look at these.  I'm sure there's something I'm doing wrong that I could be doing better at.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2023, 05:32:08 pm »

while it rains elf mucus or something vile like that.
I read that while eating  :(
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 05:34:54 pm »

Grazers which are not assigned to a pasture (such as pets) must be fed.
Pets? you mean "cavern and lava exploration probes"? those only need to be fed if they aren't "put to work".

Seems an awful waste of good meat...
I've got a pretty strict no livestock as pets policy, I'll let them keep their dogs and cats but for everything else:
1. Select offending meatbag in game.
2. Type gui/gm-editor into dfhack window.
3. Expand flags1, find "important_historical_figure", change this to false.
4. Do the same in flags2.
5. Scroll down to 2nd page and find "relationship_ids", expand, change "Pet" to -1 (this seems to be bilateral and the former owner will get no bad feelings)
6. Butcher!

So if you take a look in your "\Dwarf Fortress 0.47.05\dfhack-config\orders\library" folder (if you aren't using DFHack I have no words for you) you'll find a pretty comprehensive set of work orders that Myk and I put together. Including meal prep. While they aren't perfect we worked hard to minimize cancellation spam (it makes me insane) and they are pretty good examples of how to use work orders (I'm particularly proud of the armor & weapons ones).
I generally embark with a slightly modified version of clinodev's craftswarves embark, with enough ores to start out smelting bronze immediately and arm all dwarves and furnish at least reasonably good quarters immediately.

Other critical workflows with multiple steps that generally benefit from conditionals are soap and steel. 

I find if I clutter up the manager menu with too much stuff, I end up with tasks that never get done, so I try to use it for the critical, complicated ones, while keeping it simple (i.e. if less than X produce Y) with the others.

I try to use custom stockpiles and other things (like limiting workshops to Legendaries in the relevant skill) for when I want only quality craftsdwarfship for certain substances (like candy or aluminum or cut gems), or to manage stress if someone is going batty from hauling rocks outdoors while it rains elf mucus or something vile like that.

I'll definitely take a look at these.  I'm sure there's something I'm doing wrong that I could be doing better at.

Myk and I have tested them pretty extensively. Myk for those who aren't aware is one of the Dfhack rockstars. I did a lot of playtesting for the Dreamfort and I came up with a lot of the complex workorders (making the best weapons/armor out of what you have available but always keeping you stocked, and it is geared for constantly melting lower quality gear since that is something I do as well), but Myk's code made it all possible. Being able to add new features/correct vanilla bugs is pretty handy.

I know clinodevs embark profile well, my own embarks were all based on it. I do like to bring both materials for bronze and a pair of picks though. Although it doesn't seem as critical as it used to to dig in fast, old habits die hard. I honestly have trouble getting sieges anymore. Even with towers, the necromancers all come as immigrants for me. Anyone need a complementary copy of "Secrets of life and death" ?
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 07:02:27 pm »

Anyone need a complementary copy of "Secrets of life and death" ?
I never seem to get this in a book.  The game taunts me with slab after slab.  But never a book anyone can actually read.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2023, 10:35:12 am »

Anyone need a complementary copy of "Secrets of life and death" ?
I never seem to get this in a book.  The game taunts me with slab after slab.  But never a book anyone can actually read.

Yeah, apparently you cannot make them write them in fortress mode either. Between that and the slowdown from not drinking (it is very real) they are just useless twats. Actually they are worse than useless if you don't want the kind of fun they create in battle. It is just not dwarfy to not drink booze and I don't allow vampires in my fort for that same reason. Much as I hate weres too, at least they drink. Depending how old the necro is, you can uncurse them and they will either die of old age or become normal dwarfs.

So conferring with Myk, the simple meals thing was some video he watched which seemed to make sense at the time but then he was unaware that you still get 1 meal per ingredient no matter what kind of meal it is. So 5 each of 4 ingredients makes 20 lavish meals in 1 job, or it makes 20 easy meals in 2 jobs, but either way it is 20 meals. So they are pretty pointless, but if you want to make them for whatever reason it isn't horrible either. I suppose your cooks will skill up twice as fast if you make simple meals (because the xp gain is per job and you are doing twice as many jobs per ingredient).

We're also going to remove the platinum weapons from the work orders (that was more involved than you'd think because of all the chained conditionals) as well as the silver crossbows (I moved silver mace and war hammer down under steel in the priority order...so we'll make silver ones if we don't have steel instead of as an upgrade from steel). So if you want to see how I did the platinum it is there, Myk will probably put new files up on the dfhack git soon but being as I'm pretty sure LNP is dead you'll have to update them yourself (or am I the only one left who refuses to upgrade?). I mean I'm sure I'll breakdown and get the Steam version sooner or later but I assume the work orders are still compatible and relevant.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.
Pages: 1 [2]