Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas?  (Read 1249 times)

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas?
« on: April 15, 2023, 01:01:27 pm »

Hey guys I have resetup my Dell Inspiron 1520 on windows XP. This website is one of the few that still work. Is there any games/stuff left I can do on this is?
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 02:46:39 pm »

I'd be worried about connecting an XP machine to the internet, seems like a good way to get viruses.

That said, it looks like the 1520 only came out in 2007. It's old, but it's not like you've gotten a DOS-based machine up and running.

BioShock, Portal, and the first Mass Effect, all classics, came out that year.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 02:53:19 pm »

Viruses are a joke, you know. Browsers are viruses. Games are viruses. Half of programs on the computer are viruses. Antiviruses are viruses. Entire systems are viruses. What does it matter if there are some more to the pile? And they don't even make internet viruses for XP anymore. Downloaded a program to XP once, worked fine. Moved it to 10 - whoop de doo, ads.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:00:18 pm by MCreeper »

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 05:50:57 pm »

A lot of games from the Windows 95/98 era should work really well, better than most modern operating systems.  Try Dune 2000.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 08:28:24 pm »

Hey guys I have resetup my Dell Inspiron 1520 on windows XP. This website is one of the few that still work. Is there any games/stuff left I can do on this is?

No One Lives Forever? Spy game from around that time, but nobody seems to own the rights anymore.

You can unlock new tools as you progress, which gives you new options in parts of the story you've already completed. But mostly it's about being a female spy in the 1960's, and being the best isn't good enough to get you recognition.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 08:47:34 pm »

I'd suggest NOX by Westwood Studios, 1999 game that's like Baldur's gate- but with less disk swapping and more of an odd steampunk and sorcery vibe to its art direction.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 09:27:17 pm »

Knights of the Old Republic, Starcraft classic, OpenMW (Morrowind), and SystemShock should all run fine! What more could you need?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 09:29:43 pm »

A couple of us are into Simcity 4, and the Sims 2 came out around that time.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 03:33:22 am »

I'm not sure I'd play Simcity 4 on XP, because I had it on ME and after 100,000 people it started to run like crap.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 03:41:00 am »

I'm not sure I'd play Simcity 4 on XP, because I had it on ME and after 100,000 people it started to run like crap.
Oh crap I'm stupid I forgot that XP came after ME. Just ignore me I'll just sit over here and be stupid.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 09:24:29 pm »

Rome total war.
The Stalker series.
Age of empires.
Simes 2.
GTA san andreas. 
Mount an blade.
Black and white.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 02:01:12 am »

Black and white.
I bought a copy of that awhile back and still haven't gotten around to playing it, is it any good?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 05:27:37 am »

Black and white.
I bought a copy of that awhile back and still haven't gotten around to playing it, is it any good?

I thought it was conceptually interesting, but ultimately a giant 'meh'. If it were redone with something closer to an actual learning AI as opposed to what it had, and gameplay was something other than "weak RTS with a titan", it'd go better. Also, the last time I played it, my game got bugged out and I finished 99% of the game with no creature. I kind of spent the afternoon going 'I don't remember the tutorial being this long.'
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 05:59:45 am »

Black and White 2 had a similar issue. Fun game still, but my creature mostly just wandered around the town pooping while I threw chain lightning into enemy towns.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2023, 10:21:47 am »

Most anything in the GOG catalog would run in XP in original form.
Pages: [1] 2