Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Cathay and Formosa discussion thread  (Read 13652 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of China discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2023, 12:46:18 pm »

Edit: Turns out the article is trash that had no fact checking done. It's just "China say, China says"
For example?

Space excerpt:
China is a great power in space with its civilian programs. The country’s ambitious goals reflect this: China aims to establish a permanent base on the Moon by 2036, demonstrate a gigawatt-level power generation capability via its space-based solar power project by 2050, conduct a human Mars mission between 2033-2049, and an asteroid exploration mission by 2025.

China is also the only nation with its own independent Low Earth Orbit (LEO) space station, the Tiangong. Recently, China announced that they had successfully tested a 100 percent regeneration of oxygen supplies onboard the Tiangong space station. Bian Qiang, the director of the environmental control and life-support engineering office under the Astronaut Center of China, explained its significance, as paraphrased by China Daily: “the development reflects a fundamental transformation of the environmental control and life-support system for China’s manned spacecraft from ‘replenishment’ to ‘regeneration.’” More importantly, the system was able to regenerate 95 percent of its own water as well, which meant resupply to the space station from the ground via China’s Tianzhou cargo spacecraft would be reduced by 6 tonnes a year.

This development will also help China understand better how to develop a regenerative system for the Moon, since they have plans for a crewed mission to the Moon after 2036 and are looking to extract resources on the Moon like Helium 3 and water-ice.

China has its own independent BeiDou navigation system comprising 35 satellites; nearly 250 military satellites for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and targeting; as well as both kinetic and non-kinetic ASAT capabilities.

In China’s 2021 white paper on its space activities, planetary defense was identified as a key mission. China’s planetary defense mission also includes the tracking of asteroids and meteorites and developing deflection technologies. Consequently, China has identified asteroid 2019 VL5, which is about 108 feet (33 meters) in diameter and orbits the Sun every 365 days, as the destination of a planetary defense mission, wherein China will launch both an observer and an impactor spacecraft in 2025. While one spacecraft will study the asteroid, the other spacecraft will collide with the asteroid to deflect it.

Wu Weiren, one of the chief scientists and architects of China’s space program, to include its lunar mission, explained that the impactor spacecraft will aim to deflect the asteroid 1 or 2 inches, which might increase to a distance of 620 miles in three months. The dual nature application is rather obvious; used for military purposes, the same technology can crash into satellites and “deflect” them.

China is constructing a deep-space observation facility in southwest China’s Chongqing Municipality, which includes 25 radars with a 30-meter aperture, to detect asteroids over 10 million kilometers away. Called China Fuyan, this far-reaching radar system will build China’s planetary defense as well as space traffic management capabilities.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 12:50:03 pm by jipehog »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2023, 07:08:21 pm »

China Prioritizes 3 Strategic Technologies in Its Great Power Competition
Space, AI, and quantum computing and communication are China’s top technology priorities.
"...four! Our four main priorities are Space, AI, Quantum Computing and Communications and Nice Red Uniforms oh drat...  ...I'll come back in again."

(Nobody expects the Monty Python references!)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2023, 08:03:40 pm »

Edit: Turns out the article is trash that had no fact checking done. It's just "China say, China says"
For example?

Space excerpt:
China is a great power in space with its civilian programs. The country’s ambitious goals reflect this: China aims to establish a permanent base on the Moon by 2036, demonstrate a gigawatt-level power generation capability via its space-based solar power project by 2050, conduct a human Mars mission between 2033-2049, and an asteroid exploration mission by 2025.

China is also the only nation with its own independent Low Earth Orbit (LEO) space station, the Tiangong. Recently, China announced that they had successfully tested a 100 percent regeneration of oxygen supplies onboard the Tiangong space station. Bian Qiang, the director of the environmental control and life-support engineering office under the Astronaut Center of China, explained its significance, as paraphrased by China Daily: “the development reflects a fundamental transformation of the environmental control and life-support system for China’s manned spacecraft from ‘replenishment’ to ‘regeneration.’” More importantly, the system was able to regenerate 95 percent of its own water as well, which meant resupply to the space station from the ground via China’s Tianzhou cargo spacecraft would be reduced by 6 tonnes a year.

This development will also help China understand better how to develop a regenerative system for the Moon, since they have plans for a crewed mission to the Moon after 2036 and are looking to extract resources on the Moon like Helium 3 and water-ice.

China has its own independent BeiDou navigation system comprising 35 satellites; nearly 250 military satellites for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and targeting; as well as both kinetic and non-kinetic ASAT capabilities.

In China’s 2021 white paper on its space activities, planetary defense was identified as a key mission. China’s planetary defense mission also includes the tracking of asteroids and meteorites and developing deflection technologies. Consequently, China has identified asteroid 2019 VL5, which is about 108 feet (33 meters) in diameter and orbits the Sun every 365 days, as the destination of a planetary defense mission, wherein China will launch both an observer and an impactor spacecraft in 2025. While one spacecraft will study the asteroid, the other spacecraft will collide with the asteroid to deflect it.

Wu Weiren, one of the chief scientists and architects of China’s space program, to include its lunar mission, explained that the impactor spacecraft will aim to deflect the asteroid 1 or 2 inches, which might increase to a distance of 620 miles in three months. The dual nature application is rather obvious; used for military purposes, the same technology can crash into satellites and “deflect” them.

China is constructing a deep-space observation facility in southwest China’s Chongqing Municipality, which includes 25 radars with a 30-meter aperture, to detect asteroids over 10 million kilometers away. Called China Fuyan, this far-reaching radar system will build China’s planetary defense as well as space traffic management capabilities.
If you can't read, why should I write?
This is the only thing that didn't come directly from China, it's scientists, or it's periodicals: "China is also the only nation with its own independent Low Earth Orbit (LEO) space station, the Tiangong."

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2023, 03:47:49 am »

We seem to be coming to this from very different angles. I see great value in studying policy changes and emphasis (e.g. many people regarded president Trump as a buffoon whose statements doesn't necessarily correlate to reality, but only idiots have ignored the president of the USA policy changes)

I have no problem with your original comment, white papers do not necessarily correlate to actual progress. However, I am curious as to how you graduated from 'probably' to trashing the article and author. Is there anything specific that you believe to be false or failed your fact check? because otherwise this seem to be on the level of most things I seen you post.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 03:49:31 am by jipehog »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2023, 05:53:47 pm »

We seem to be coming to this from very different angles. I see great value in studying policy changes and emphasis (e.g. many people regarded president Trump as a buffoon whose statements doesn't necessarily correlate to reality, but only idiots have ignored the president of the USA policy changes)

I have no problem with your original comment, white papers do not necessarily correlate to actual progress. However, I am curious as to how you graduated from 'probably' to trashing the article and author. Is there anything specific that you believe to be false or failed your fact check? because otherwise this seem to be on the level of most things I seen you post.
And do I have a journalist degree, a job as a professor, or get paid for what I post?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2023, 07:15:05 pm »

[THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED BY THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA]
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2023, 07:17:55 pm »

Damn, didn't know Taiwan could do that...

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2023, 07:21:53 pm »

Dang, I forgot China was the People's Republic...
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2023, 02:38:47 am »

Dang, I forgot China was the People's Republic...

Kinda reminds you of Life of Brian with the People's Front of Judea and the Judean People's Front.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2023, 05:51:15 am »

And do I have a journalist degree, a job as a professor, or get paid for what I post?
So you just don't have faith in advanced China? That unfortunate because China is the leading force in several industries, and the focus on these sectors which are in the forefront of the forth industrial revolution is notable.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2023, 02:26:14 am »

China is totally next-gen
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2023, 02:42:19 am »

So you just don't have faith in advanced China? That unfortunate because China is the leading force in several industries, and the focus on these sectors which are in the forefront of the forth industrial revolution is notable.
China has had the capability to become the Greatest Nation on Earth for over 100 years, if not 1000 years.  They've always fallen short, largely because they always assume they're better than everyone else.  They spend more on looking good than getting good.

Ironically, Mainland China needs the one thing that they refuse in order to break this cycle: Democracy
With a Democratic form of government, they could continue their cyclical passing of the Mandate of Heaven peacefully, with more stability in the long run.  But it'll take one more violent rebellion, I wager.  Hopefully that will be the last time that a violent rebellion is how the Mandate changes hands.

This is also a prerequisite for Taiwan to ever rejoin Mainland China in one country, although by the time it occurs, Taiwan will probably have its own identity.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2023, 06:01:13 am »

China has had the capability to become the Greatest Nation on Earth for over 100 years, if not 1000 years.  They've always fallen short, largely because they always assume they're better than everyone else.

What China achieved in the last 100 years is unprecedented. Prior to that foreign imperialism played a part in the period of economic and social turmoil of otherwise very long and rich history.

Otherwise you seem to be chasing windmills no one said that China will become the Greatest Nation nor endorsed its politics, you seem to be knee jerking at overview of what China is doing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2023, 06:11:07 am »

What have they achieved that's unprecedented?
Love, scriver~

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2023, 08:35:33 am »

China's had unprecedented economic growth since 1978, lifting close to billion people out of extreme poverty. Now large part of china has better infrastructure than in the USA.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12