Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Timelines and bug fixes- Archery, Civ alert, missing squads  (Read 1071 times)

Quizmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Timelines and bug fixes- Archery, Civ alert, missing squads
« on: March 16, 2023, 05:37:23 pm »

Hello, first of all, I understand the nature of DF development "time is subjective".
At the same time it feels like two big features are missing and my experience of the game is suffering because of it. Specifically civilian alert and assigning ammo to ranged squads. I am aware of how to operate the new burrow system, but when you have 150+ dwarves manually canceling their tasks and making sure they are all in the burrow is extremely tedious. Its frustrating to me that there used to be a feature for this, and a way to assign ammo to squads, but these functions are missing in steam version. I am aware of the complicated workarounds to getting squads to equip and use ammo, but they don't always work. In the about 10 forts i've tried to get ranged squads training in, I was only able to get a single one working, and not even for that long before they stopped. I am unsure what is happening to my squads, a lot of people have been reporting it as a bug, and I know that sometimes the squad all dies or defects or such, but when I send 70+ axe and spearlords to raid a 20 population goblin pit and they dont return, that's a bug. Its happened on a few occasions and has resulted in me either loading a save, abandoning the fort entirely, or deciding "screw it". It makes me sad when I dedicate an entire fort to making a badass military only to be forced by bugs to be entirely insular.
My question is: are these issues in the queue? Is there a way to see the queue?
I know its extremely unrealistic but it would be nice to get updates on what the team is working on, so I can decide if i should step away from the game until these issues are fixed, and see a timeline for that.
It seems like by purchasing the game I had a little bit of an expectation that things like this would be done in a more timely fashion, but I am unable to determine if that is or is not the case because I don't have any feedback on this, only the published bug releases. I am assuming that a lot is being done under the hood.
If there have been statements about timelines that I have missed, please provide them

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Timelines and bug fixes- Archery, Civ alert, missing squads
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 06:52:01 pm »

Tarn posts a progress report in DF Announcements every month (which indicates that he was away traveling during February and March and hopes to get back to normal in April).
He holds a monthly Q&A in the thread "Future of the Fortress" in "General DF Discussions".

On Discord, Putnam posts on his bug fixes and optimizations sporadically. He summarized progress in a video recently.

The info is all there. Loads of it. Everything you mentioned. Just have to search a bit.

The game didn't suddenly become a AAA studio with hundreds of programmers. I wouldn't expect it progress any faster than it's ever done (but maybe more optimizations/bug fixing in each release since there's someone else working on that).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 06:54:39 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 06:57:56 pm »

Sending dwarves out to war and having them never return does not sound like a bug in any reasonable simulation (It's 20 goblins plus all their monsters of course).

Getting notice of what's going on somehow would be nice though, yes. But that might take a while. I guess goblins delivering your dwarves heads on spikes? Prisoner exchange requests - the latter is definitely planned for Better Sieges. These are all features though, not bug fixes. They'll take longer.

Quizmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 12:26:50 am »

Tarn posts a progress report in DF Announcements every month (which indicates that he was away traveling during February and March and hopes to get back to normal in April).
He holds a monthly Q&A in the thread "Future of the Fortress" in "General DF Discussions".

On Discord, Putnam posts on his bug fixes and optimizations sporadically. He summarized progress in a video recently.

The info is all there. Loads of it. Everything you mentioned. Just have to search a bit.

The game didn't suddenly become a AAA studio with hundreds of programmers. I wouldn't expect it progress any faster than it's ever done (but maybe more optimizations/bug fixing in each release since there's someone else working on that).
Do you know if the updates are available somewhere off discord? I was Kitfox'd from that server. Honestly it's just good to hear that there's a stream of communications from the devs, and that the main issue is that I should have looked a bit harder. I have looked at some of the monthly Q&A stuff, but that seems more like the thinking and musing about the future than the specifics of what is currently underway. Thanks for the info I appreciate it

Sending dwarves out to war and having them never return does not sound like a bug in any reasonable simulation (It's 20 goblins plus all their monsters of course).

Getting notice of what's going on somehow would be nice though, yes. But that might take a while. I guess goblins delivering your dwarves heads on spikes? Prisoner exchange requests - the latter is definitely planned for Better Sieges. These are all features though, not bug fixes. They'll take longer.

I understand how there are lots of circumstances where dwarves wouldn't return, but many times, like dozens probably, I have sent overwhelming odds to very small villages only to have my dwarves not return. I'm talking 60+ master level fighters, steel weapons and chainmail, full iron armor, and high level tacticians all with dogs not return. More often than not in the case of a catastrophic defeat usually 1 or 2 dwarves will make it back. Something is up with it I'm sure its not an ordinary thing. I don't remember this happening in the small amount of classic i played a few years ago

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 02:02:31 am »

Like I said there's a video, look on YouTube. Search "Putnam" and "Dwarf Fortress".
Discord is where people, including Putnam go to chat randomly about whatever's on their mind. Nobody is stalking them writing down everything they say. And if you got kicked off, well, that's your realtime source of info gone. Just have to wait for the next video or whatever summarizing method someone decides to make.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 03:22:00 am by Shonai_Dweller »

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 02:05:19 pm »

If you look at what the recent changes have been, you’d probably agree that the developers made the right priority choices: Crash and save corruption fixes, major modes (classic, arena) coming online for the first time. A few were graphics and audio improvements but those are the newest features so of course there are easy/safe fixes to be made. Plus there are dependencies on art…other team members may need code changes in order for their work to proceed.

So, it’s not surprising that some bugs that have been in the game for a while are still unfixed. Raiding was one of the newest huge features added before Steam so it’s not really finished. It’s an optional part of the game anyway, so just save your game in case the squad doesn’t come back, or if that seems lame then don’t make raids until the problem is fixed…but expect to wait a while longer.