Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103143 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1965 on: March 10, 2024, 09:22:52 pm »

laughs in Protestantism
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 10, 2024, 09:49:04 pm »

Considering how much of protestantism has aligned more with russia than ukraine at this point, you might want to laugh in something else, heh. Though I guess that might be the point, I'unno.

... I'm actually not sure which broad religious grouping's really covered themselves in glory in regards to ukraine, tbh. Divisive at best when it really, really shouldn't be.

Catholicism's (both by way of the pope and more general authoritarian sympathies, blech) dropped the ball, protestantism's fractured as hell and too aligned with authoritarian horsecrap to have a good general position on the invasion, most other varieties of christian that aren't directly involved are distant enough they don't seem to care too much, judaism (by way of israel directly and reactions to it among the diaspora indirectly) basically shit the bed so hard it's drawn support away from the ukraine conflict... most muslim stuff has their own problems (and what don't are probably more likely to be sympathetic to russia than ukraine), and if anything outside the abrahamic trio has really thrown support behind ukraine (or russia, for that matter) I haven't noticed.

Haven't exactly been paying attention to the organized (or disorganized, for that matter) religious sentiment, though, especially considering how shit it is stateside... entirely possible I've missed something major.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: March 10, 2024, 10:45:21 pm »

laughs in Protestantism

Because protestant churches, especially American ones, are so consistently anti-authoritarian nowadays....

Speaking about some American protestants, or rather about the guy they love more than Christ.

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, who met with US presidential candidate Donald Trump on 8 March, has claimed that Trump has "quite detailed plans" to end the war in Ukraine and will not be giving "a single penny" to fight Russian aggression in Ukraine.

Quote: "He has a very clear vision that is hard to disagree with. He says the following: first, he will not give a single penny for the Russo-Ukrainian war. That's why the war will end, because it's obvious that Ukraine cannot stand on its own two feet. If the Americans don't give money and weapons along with the Europeans, the war will end. And if the Americans don't give money, then the Europeans won't be able to fund this war alone. And then the war will end."

Heh, will end. Sure! 2025 may be very... fun.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 10, 2024, 11:29:54 pm »

I dunk on the fundies too, frankly I consider them worse than radical atheists despite technically being broadly on "my side" (but not really). tbh my post was mostly a joke, there's more division in Protestantism than between Catholicism and Orthodoxy.
I don't really like being lumped with them. This isn't a TDM, this is a FFA at this point.

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, who met with US presidential candidate Donald Trump on 8 March, has claimed that Trump has "quite detailed plans" to end the war in Ukraine and will not be giving "a single penny" to fight Russian aggression in Ukraine.

Quote: "He has a very clear vision that is hard to disagree with. He says the following: first, he will not give a single penny for the Russo-Ukrainian war. That's why the war will end, because it's obvious that Ukraine cannot stand on its own two feet. If the Americans don't give money and weapons along with the Europeans, the war will end. And if the Americans don't give money, then the Europeans won't be able to fund this war alone. And then the war will end."

OK, Trump may have just blundered away a sizable chunk of his voter base. Namely, the Cold-War-mindset "we need to stick it to the Russians" 'Murica-Fuck-Yeah Republicans.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 11:32:50 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 10, 2024, 11:36:34 pm »

Unfortunately Republicans don’t care that much about Russia anymore. He’ll have people voting for him precisely because he’ll stop funding the war effort.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 10, 2024, 11:43:35 pm »

But is it all of them? Elections in America tend to be close, and the parties aren't exactly homogenous. If even 5% of people who would have voted for him if he did not say anything specific about Ukraine, instead don't vote or vote for Biden only because he supports the war effort, it might cost him the election.

The Dem leadership needs to exploit this tho.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 11, 2024, 02:19:28 am »

Sadly it's entirely possible the democrats will try to withdraw support too, no matter how much public support Ukraine has.

We have to message all our representatives and threaten to switch parties if they don't support Ukraine
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 11, 2024, 04:05:30 am »

"20 Days in Mariupol" won the Best Documentary Oscar. Good, it will stay in history this way.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 11, 2024, 05:45:11 am »

Our state news are going nuts over that Trump announcement btw. They haven't talked about him this much since he lost the election, I thought they threw him under the bus already. kek

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: March 11, 2024, 05:54:18 am »

But is it all of them?
Among his voter base? The GOP politicians? Basically, yeah. Unfortunately. It's not a deal breaker for just about anyone willing to support trump at this point. Maybe (hopefully) it'll help keep everyone not that away, but... who knows. Foreign policy in general doesn't tend to be great at influencing stateside voting patterns, and our media's jammed so far up the horse races's ass it can be difficult for folks to actually notice there's a difference between party policies on stuff like that :-\

Sadly it's entirely possible the democrats will try to withdraw support too, no matter how much public support Ukraine has.

We have to message all our representatives and threaten to switch parties if they don't support Ukraine
Yeah, the problem's basically that if you care about ukraine getting aid, it's the dems or nothing. GOP wants to cut aid entirely, and the rest of the parties aren't relevant. Switch parties to who? You got one choice if you want aid to continue, and if you threaten to switch parties from them on that particular issue you're mostly going to come off looking either dumb or swallowing GOP propaganda than anything approaching sense, blech.

So far, the dems in congress have been pretty insistent on trying to get aid through, but without actual control that only goes so far and they'll bend on the issue if it means getting other things done. It's the opposite of ideal, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: March 11, 2024, 10:12:58 pm »

Not until after the 2024 Election. President Biden came out hard in favor of Ukraine. Democrats are [insert insult here], but they know how to win elections.

As for Republicans, the moderates are fully behind Ukraine. Most telling, the House Speaker was anti-Ukraine up to the first second he was given the Top Secret Intelligence Briefings that come with the job, then turned 100% in favor of Ukraine. It's really just the radical fringe outsider Republicans that are anti-Ukraine. And the moderates hate them.

If anyone gives, it's enough Republicans being satisfied with Democrat compromises to push Aid to Ukraine through. It's been how ALL the Government Funding packages have gone.

The Radical Right has overplayed their hand: Everyone in Washington knows they're never gonna vote YES on anything, so they're getting ignored.

As for religions: I think the Wiccans are solidly Pro-Ukraine.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: March 12, 2024, 01:10:40 am »

Not just Wiccans specifically. I haven't met a (Western) neopagan who was pro-Russian. Slavic neopagans on the other hand...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: March 12, 2024, 01:47:52 am »

So yeah, The Vatican is now walking back the Pope's comments.
I've noticed that this seems to be happening more often, which just goes to show that papal infallibility is a bunch of crap.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: March 12, 2024, 02:00:01 am »

Our Russian units started another raid into Russia. I missed those. It will be an entertaining day.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: March 12, 2024, 09:58:11 am »

I've noticed that this seems to be happening more often, which just goes to show that papal infallibility is a bunch of crap.
insert "Papal Bull" joke...
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 143