Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103232 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1950 on: March 08, 2024, 02:41:05 pm »

One other problem with United States media is that it follows the money. Only limited business opportunities are created by the US support for Ukraine, and many are outright lost.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: March 08, 2024, 05:00:56 pm »

They want gender studies in mine removal operations because they believe gender has a bearing on who is affected, how they're effected and whether there are protections in place that consider their specific needs.

Basically civilians may have to clear their own backyards of unexploded ordinance (instead of trained military personnel) and someone in Canada wants to kick $4 million towards making sure someone is thinking about women and displaced persons (those whose home was destroyed by war), the things they need and the risks they particularly face. (Is a woman 2 months pregnant having to clear explosives from an area coated in all the residue from fighting going to be affected differently than a 14 year old boy, who might have their hormones fucked with from breathing in contaminated dirt from a war zone for 6 months?) Instead of just sending everyone in willy nilly and then wondering why there's an increase in birth defects for the next generation, and other health problems in the war generation.

There. I applied basic critical thinking to clearly written sentences for you.

It reads more like they want to be more diverse in who they're sending to clear mines. Employment/workforce is mentioned heavily.

Send pregnant women to clear mines because diversity is our strength and improves workplace satisfaction!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 05:07:42 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: March 08, 2024, 07:54:27 pm »

They want gender studies in mine removal operations because they believe gender has a bearing on who is affected, how they're effected and whether there are protections in place that consider their specific needs.

Basically civilians may have to clear their own backyards of unexploded ordinance (instead of trained military personnel) and someone in Canada wants to kick $4 million towards making sure someone is thinking about women and displaced persons (those whose home was destroyed by war), the things they need and the risks they particularly face. (Is a woman 2 months pregnant having to clear explosives from an area coated in all the residue from fighting going to be affected differently than a 14 year old boy, who might have their hormones fucked with from breathing in contaminated dirt from a war zone for 6 months?) Instead of just sending everyone in willy nilly and then wondering why there's an increase in birth defects for the next generation, and other health problems in the war generation.

There. I applied basic critical thinking to clearly written sentences for you.

It reads more like they want to be more diverse in who they're sending to clear mines. Employment/workforce is mentioned heavily.

Send pregnant women to clear mines because diversity is our strength and improves workplace satisfaction!

I think you might have it backwards. This may not even be paid work. It might essentially be government organized cleanup. So this is basically advocacy for vulnerable groups in a situation where it's all hands on deck. Or if it is paid work, then it becomes even more important that someone is paying attention to what's going on. Corruption, mismanagement, unnecessarily dangerous working conditions....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: March 09, 2024, 02:36:43 am »

Honestly, this is just Grant Writing 101. You write your Grant in the way that gets it funded.  Somebody figured that writing it in this way could secure more funding for Ukraine, and God Bless Them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 09, 2024, 01:11:39 pm »

Pope calls for Ukraine to surrender

*yawns*

I love how more and more forces in the world show their impatience and irritation at Ukraine holding for so long. We are so inconvenient.

The fun part is that this war is not going to stop until Russia collapses or a large-scale genocide of Ukrainians (yes, the collapse of the Ukrainian state won't end this war. Syrians resisted for a decade without one). It may change its form, even reduce in intensity for some time but it is not going to end with "diplomacy"
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: March 10, 2024, 05:16:13 pm »

I'm reasonably sure The Pope would like Ukraine to let Russia keep what Russia stole to end the War.

Remember, all the Peacelovers and UN Diplomats are Alien Collaborators in the game Terra Invicta.

Sometimes, pacifists are useful idiots for dictators.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: March 10, 2024, 07:09:41 pm »

There's a time and place for pacifism but this ain't it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 10, 2024, 08:29:18 pm »

I call for the Pope to surrender. It's about time the Vatican was turned into the world center for agnosticism and atheism
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1958 on: March 10, 2024, 08:43:09 pm »

I'm thinking about contacting my diocese to ask them to remove my name from their batism registry. I should have done it earlier, now might be the appropriate occasion to do some official letter writing.
That pope was acceptable until now, but now he goes straight to the trash bin.

Edit : an ukrainian youtuber made a video explaining Marichka, a big and growing ukrainian patriotic meme drawn by artists for two years now. Some of my art appear in the video and I'm extremely proud of it. It's in ukrainian but english subs are available.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 09:09:39 pm by Cathar »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: March 10, 2024, 08:49:17 pm »

Yeah... every time someone says Ukraine should submit, I think of how that person would react to similar coercions in their life, like maybe the Pope should study up on how the Nazis treated the Roman Catholics in Germany after they had the European Jews mostly locked up, and he should also consider how long the temporary sanctity of Vatican City would have lasted if those fighting the Nazis had stopped fighting and left Italy to the Germans.

Maybe you shouldn't fight back when someone tries to use verbal and physical threats to coerce you into letting them rape you.

Maybe you shouldn't fight back when someone decides to tax you every week for some of your food money.

Maybe you shouldn't fight back when someone says that they need some work done and they want you to wear a collar while you do it for them.

I understand people who submit because their family is directly being threatened, but if you don't fight back, the coercion will not stop and the choke collar will only get tighter.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1960 on: March 10, 2024, 09:04:40 pm »

Also the fact that you cannot surrender to someone who tries to murder you. Russia is not trying to grab Ukraine's wallet, it's trying to erase it from existence.

I've been slow to understand the situation, but now what is going on is pretty clear for everyone to see, and I really hope we react decisively before Hitler finishes eating Poland this time.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 10, 2024, 09:10:57 pm »

The catholic church should be declared a terrorist organisation for this nazi statement.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 10, 2024, 09:14:24 pm »

For the record, The Vatican never surrendered. In fact, they owe their independence to the first modern era dictator, Benito Mussolini.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1963 on: March 10, 2024, 09:15:34 pm »

The catholic church should be declared a terrorist organisation for this nazi statement.
They tried to hide it by removing Ratzinger but we're onto them
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 143