Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 212790 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1665 on: December 31, 2023, 12:24:59 pm »

I'm not, and I'm going to spend these millions of dollars I found in a suit case in a subway storage locker completely by accident to convince you of it
Our health secretary once said he had no knowledge of the millions of pounds worth of shares he had been gifted by a friend who owned a company he diverted billions of public funds into via PPE contracts

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 31, 2023, 12:47:47 pm »

Our health secretary once said he had no knowledge of the millions of pounds worth of shares he had been gifted by a friend who owned a company he diverted billions of public funds into via PPE contracts
Given general levels of incompetence and obliviousness... it's easy enough to believe from pretty much any one of them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 02:18:31 pm by Starver »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 31, 2023, 01:38:02 pm »

It was a long, long year
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: January 01, 2024, 12:27:44 pm »

The land border between Russia and Ukraine is similar in length to the land border of the USA's California. Both about 1200 miles/2000 km. Over twice the length of the WWI trenchline.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: January 02, 2024, 03:44:54 am »

What's the dark grey area in the middle represent?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: January 02, 2024, 05:02:28 am »

What's the dark grey area in the middle represent?

Merely regions parts of which are occupied

Also, if you are curious - I am south of Poltava, so not that far from the frontline.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: January 02, 2024, 07:15:01 am »

I just took it as highlighting which Oblasts were involved with the border depicted (however major/minor).  Lighter (top left) those not with the frontline. Darker 'band' those Ukranean areas of Oblasts with a frontline, (various colours, which I took to mean gains/losses in respective directions, but did not immediately check which side benefitted from which colour-splash), lighter again for the Russian side's oblasts with a frontline (all of them, at least on this map, so doesn't have dark-again for Russian-occupied non-frontline oblasts, e.g. potentially Crimea).

As far as georepresentation goes, it seemed as simple (to identify, if not explain!) as that, unless I missed an exception. The choice of ebb-and-fro colours I admit I wasn't too clear on. Blue and yellow are both established Ukrainean colours, so either I'm wrong about it (maybe it's just phases of Ukrainean advancement? ...or something else, like intensity of claim by .ue?) or that was a strange choice by the compositor...

Still, I took away the general detail (long thin, mostly static front, but of course on the scale of a country where those coloured patches are not insignificant) at first glance, and I had meant to make a few more glances before deciding I understood it completely.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: January 02, 2024, 08:32:19 am »

Blue - Russian gains; yellow - Ukrainian gains. As of today the yellows are being reduced and the blues expand. The initiative is on the aggressor's side.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: January 02, 2024, 09:57:54 am »

Exactly, but one seems to need to cross-compare with prosaic reports to establish that. (Both flags have Blue. Yellow should work as Ukraine's highlight, but probably best against Red (white would have its own type of layout ambiguity), for both that reason and at least another couple of reasons that might diverge from neutral 'nation-marking' ideals. Even if they're not the same pantone/RGB of Blue, pitting two blues against each other wouldn't be helpful enough, of course.

Going beyond the flood-fill is flag-inspired pattern-fill. Which probably can't be run 'straight' (even without other potential complications, but left-slant blue/yellow striping vs right-slant red/blue/white (or similar cycling) might work, with just a bit of care where isolated blues fall within the overlay of the opposing side.

A few overlaid labels/pointers to 'explain' particular bulges (could give date(-range) of a particular grab, for other useful data, or even point out a to-and-fro zone that actually expanded both ways/further-then-back, for which the final colouration gives no true justice (and could highlight your "as of today" clarification) could also resolve it, without much fuss.

Or an actual key, which would have made the initial view much less intruiging (as I quickly ran through a cartophilic/cartomanial internal monologue of what I would have done, of which the above is a much abridged summary) but left much of the ambiguity out.

This not being an issue with anyone here. Just surprised that the data-wranglers let such a potentially confusing thing go out without some hint. (Probably orphaned from the general internal convention/key/explanation that they presumed all consumers would automatically have at hand/be familiar with by now.) I like my maps, and I can probably absorb more implicit truths from them than most, but you do often need some explicit guide to visuals.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: January 02, 2024, 10:20:09 pm »

Why can't people party..? Because of the war? What war? The war that isn't happening?

(They take Doublethink to degree level in Russia, clearly!)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: January 03, 2024, 04:32:37 am »

Why not go all the way and have a completely naked party?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: January 03, 2024, 04:33:25 am »

Then you can’t wear just sneakers and a sock on your dick.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: January 04, 2024, 02:49:55 am »

TIL socks are gay.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: January 04, 2024, 05:14:33 am »

Legit question - what should a democratic country that wages a war for survival do when cowards and egoists freedom-loving individuals go - "No, I refuse to be mobilized, I am not a slave"?
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 159