Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103230 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1500 on: October 12, 2023, 03:01:09 am »

The war in Israel, for all the current noise, is a drop in the bucket compared to Ukraine. Give it a month or two for Israel to strike at all targets of value,
and, unless other regional players attack Israel, this war will devolve into a stalemate in the ruins with a final death toll of less than 10% of what has already happened in Ukraine.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 12, 2023, 10:39:02 am »

The war in Israel, for all the current noise, is a drop in the bucket compared to Ukraine. Give it a month or two for Israel to strike at all targets of value,
and, unless other regional players attack Israel, this war will devolve into a stalemate in the ruins with a final death toll of less than 10% of what has already happened in Ukraine.

By casualties, yes.  But the geopolitical impact of a war isn't directly proportional to the number of dead.

Also, you made me think what 10% of Ukrainian casualties would even be... No, I won't let my brain do estimates of this kind.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 12, 2023, 06:07:48 pm »

@Strongpoint
Yes, the geo-political impact is greater, but the geo-economic impact will be less. Israel doesn't export large amounts of anything in comparison to Ukraine.

And you must have seen news coverage of other events that took away from Ukraine coverage, but then the coverage returned.

I don't like to think about the quantities of people either, but I do it because it must be done. Only the living can remember the dead.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 12, 2023, 11:27:23 pm »

I used to hold out hope that Putin dying would bring an end to the war with Russia withdrawing, but I now doubt that would happen even if he did die in the near future.  For one thing he may live another 15 years, and for another I keep reading that the people likely to replace him are just as bad.
The next one might be more evil, but evil people watch out for themselves. If the next dictator decides to stay in Ukraine it becomes *their* war. And if a dictator loses their war they often get kicked out of office for being weak.
If they leave the war as soon as they take power it won't be their war, and they won't take on any of the risk. The next dictator is totally going to leave, Russia breeds pragmatic politicians.
Anyway, I feel you on the prospects of the Ukrainian war.  I try not to form strong feelings on the direction of the war since I have such limited information, but it's obvious that it's deteriorated into a grind and naively I'd expect Russia to have a lot of advantages when it comes to a long and grinding war.

That said, I'm still astonished that they're managing to keep their war effort going with the horrendous losses they keep taking.  I know that they can keep feeding people into the war essentially forever and can keep a trickle of cobbled-together equipment flowing into it, on top of buying equipment from their scant allies like North Korea and Iran, but it's still astonishing that they're managing to keep up as much as they are.  Will their effort suddenly collapse when the 40 artillery systems destroyed every day finally catch up to what they can replace?  Or the loss of tanks and APCs?  I don't know, but I'd have expected it to collapse a long time ago at this rate.

And while it appears that Ukraine is losing proportionally fewer people and equipment, I have to acknowledge that we don't know the true numbers on either side and there's a strong incentive to keep bad news hidden from public eye.
Most of my information on the topic comes from the excellent Perun. This video in particular is highly relevant to this topic.

The reason Russia still has proper equipment left is that the Soviets left them an absurd number of old tanks, artillery, as well as other vehicles and weaponry.

They have burned through a tremendous amount of it (as seen from looking at their artillery storage parks and tank loss numbers/loss makup), but the Soviets left them *so* *much* of it they still have a good chunk of it remaining that can be easily refurbished.
Their production is nowhere near to equaling their consumption, and when they say, run out of old soviet artillery barrels things will get very grim for them and they will be forced to use merely what they can produce (and buy from china/NK).
Anyway, I feel you on the prospects of the Ukrainian war.  I try not to form strong feelings on the direction of the war since I have such limited information, but it's obvious that it's deteriorated into a grind and naively I'd expect Russia to have a lot of advantages when it comes to a long and grinding war.
If this was Russia vs Ukraine then Russia would have a tremendous advantage in a long and grinding war.
Advantages Russia seems keen to squander through an absurd amount of military corruption and incompetence, but advantages that would be sufficient for them to win, likely for them to have *already* won.
But this isn't Russia vs Ukraine. Its Russia vs Ukraine + a sizeable portion of the global military industrial complex. Sure they only get a small amount of said budget, but even a small amount of the weapons of all those countries adds up to a very big number.

It doesn't matter if Ukraine can't even make a single tank, or how advanced their anti-tank weaponry is, because they are getting free top of the line tanks from the west, and those MANPADS and Javelins are killing old obsolete soviet tanks just fine.

From what I can tell (although I could be wrong, I'm not an expert) if things continue in this manner Russia will eventually run out of cool stuff (and note that I'm putting tanks from the 1950s in the "cool stuff" category), and Ukraine will not.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 13, 2023, 01:54:36 am »

While Russia does spend its stockpiles at an absurd rate and we witnessed a tremendous amount of tanks and IFVs destroyedit is not that simple. Their offensive potential may not return to 2022's level for decades but it isn't that important.

All they need to do is hold the line, harass Ukrainian forces, do strikes with drones\missiles against infrastructure, make minor offensives here and there, and wait until Ukraine runs out of motivated manpower.

And their military-industry complex produces enough stuff to maintain this kind of war. They ramp up production of land mines, drones, missiles, and shells. They keep building new fortifications and necessary infrastructure like new railway lines. They still enjoy aerial superiority (and some potential F-16s can't cancel that) and, most importantly, they won't run out of manpower anytime soon.

I can't see victory without some kind of Black Swan in Russia or World
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 13, 2023, 08:47:57 am »

If this was Russia vs Ukraine then Russia would have a tremendous advantage in a long and grinding war.
(...)
But this isn't Russia vs Ukraine. Its Russia vs Ukraine + a sizeable portion of the global military industrial complex. Sure they only get a small amount of said budget, but even a small amount of the weapons of all those countries adds up to a very big number.
If it were Russia on military footing vs Ukraine and the West on military footing, then it'd be no contest. But this is Russia with one leg in military footing, Ukraine full-on mobilised but with little production capacity, and the West half-arsedly throwing scraps and doing peace-time business.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 13, 2023, 09:51:30 am »

Do not forget the part where we are disallowed to use the shiny Western stuff to strike across the border. Sure, we kinda started production of our own drones and even produce some cruise missiles but we have no realistic way to mess with Russian logistics\industry like they do.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: October 13, 2023, 10:17:59 am »

The West will simply never go into full military production any time soon. We cannot afford the economic devastation. Europe least of all.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 13, 2023, 10:30:44 am »

Do not forget the part where we are disallowed to use the shiny Western stuff to strike across the border. Sure, we kinda started production of our own drones and even produce some cruise missiles but we have no realistic way to mess with Russian logistics\industry like they do.
Yeah. I think I said it before - the Western help, with few exceptions, seems designed more to make the public feel good about themselves and less concerned with actual needs on the ground.

The most concerning thing right now, imo, is you guys running out of Soviet-era AA ammunition, while there's barely anywhere that can still make it this side of the Russian mir.

The West will simply never go into full military production any time soon. We cannot afford the economic devastation. Europe least of all.
There is more to chose from that between a trickle and a 100% economic mobilisation.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 13, 2023, 11:11:20 am »

There is more to chose from that between a trickle and a 100% economic mobilisation.
Can you name something specific you'd like?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: October 13, 2023, 11:46:00 am »

From a cynical geopolitical POV NATO's strategy is absolutely rational - give Ukraine just enough to keep the war going and slowly grind away Russian military potential for a modest investment and minimal risk.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: October 13, 2023, 12:03:25 pm »

Yeah. I think I said it before - the Western help, with few exceptions, seems designed more to make the public feel good about themselves and less concerned with actual needs on the ground.
I said this a bit ago in other places and got shouted down a little — and I agree, it seems fairly scattered and haphazard.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: October 13, 2023, 02:33:56 pm »

We've said it before here, but I'll say it again: Having Ukraine fall to Russia will have terrible consequences on a geopolitical scale. If Russia establishes that nuclear powers can bully non-nuclear countries with impunity (sanctions are a joke), then you're going to get a lot more nuclear proliferation in the coming decades. Getting nukes is not that hard for a country, Pakistan developed their nuclear arsenal from scratch against the West's wishes and sabotage efforts.

If the reason why the west isn't providing more substantial aid is because they are afraid of nuclear war, then losing Ukraine all but guarantees its inevitability. As a result, I find it difficult to describe NATOs actions as rational. It's simply cowardice.

Though nuclear retaliation is a genuinely scary possibility (albeit less likely than the world thinks), the truth is that it's the lesser evil here. I don't want to live in a world where the Taliban has nukes.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: October 13, 2023, 03:33:10 pm »

We've said it before here, but I'll say it again: Having Ukraine fall to Russia will have terrible consequences on a geopolitical scale. If Russia establishes that nuclear powers can bully non-nuclear countries with impunity (sanctions are a joke), then you're going to get a lot more nuclear proliferation in the coming decades. Getting nukes is not that hard for a country, Pakistan developed their nuclear arsenal from scratch against the West's wishes and sabotage efforts.

If the reason why the west isn't providing more substantial aid is because they are afraid of nuclear war, then losing Ukraine all but guarantees its inevitability. As a result, I find it difficult to describe NATOs actions as rational. It's simply cowardice.

Though nuclear retaliation is a genuinely scary possibility (albeit less likely than the world thinks), the truth is that it's the lesser evil here. I don't want to live in a world where the Taliban has nukes.
This is a pretty silly take. First of all, you overstate the ease of "getting nukes" by a lot: Iran still doesn't have them (not for lack of trying), North Korea almost certainly managed to lose theirs, despite both countries having the backing of both of the most powerful anti-west nuclear-armed states. You mention Pakistan having them and the Taliban not having them, but Pakistan is, of course, the Taliban's largest backer. Pakistan certainly had a lot of help, both open and clandestine, just as India did. Indeed, since the Soviet Union intensively spied on the US nuclear program, there's not a single nuclear arsenal in the world that doesn't chain back to the Manhattan Project. And when it comes to getting help, at least since the fall of the USSR, countries have shown reticence to give away something like that. I can definitely tell you that pretty much all of Africa wants them, but they have yet to get any of their own and relations between African countries and Russia haven't gone that far yet either.

And even after "getting nukes", that isn't enough on its own: you must also have second-strike capability to reach the vaunted "bullying other states" status, which is harder.

Second, your argument can easily apply to every instance of a nuclear power bullying non-nuclear countries with impunity since, well, the first time; and nuclear proliferation hasn't happened recently. Why not the Russian-Georgian war, or the Second Chechen war, or the Gulf wars, or the Syrian war, or the US invasion of Afghanistan? Why not Israel and Palestine? Of course, non-nuclear states still bully each other at will based on who is stronger, and have since prehistory.

As to that, the reason the west isn't providing "more substantial aid" can hardly be said to be out of a fear of nuclear war in any long-range sense. There may be a specific fear for some of Ukraine specifically getting nuked and the west having to decide how to respond to that, but not of nuclear proliferation generally. Indeed, many people in positions of power have called for more escalation, not less. The limits on western aid to Ukraine seem to be mainly ability and will. While I'm sure they would have preferred better results, the leadership still view the current situation in terms of the ground war as pretty close to the desired outcome.

Finally... the truth is that nuclear proliferation as a global force has pretty much jumped the shark. What is the use of a weapon you cannot use? Nuclear bombs are very expensive and do not actually kill people deader than any other means, of which we have plenty. Most countries have honestly realized this - they'd still like nuclear bombs and prefer that their local enemies don't get them, but it's just not a really big thing. Actually, I believe Mohammed bin Salman said exactly that in an interview a couple months ago, with respect to Saudi Arabia.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 143