Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 210258 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1065 on: July 07, 2023, 03:05:17 pm »

Basically this. I don't have any expectation that this will be a meaningful escalation, because at this point it's demonstrably clear that Russia will escalate things regardless, and I would trust a country defending its own territory to use cluster munitions more responsibly than any country deploying them on another country's territory, regardless of reason.

One tends to be more prudent about the risk of unexploded ordinance when it's your own backyard in danger of unanticipated remodeling, put simply.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 07, 2023, 04:34:30 pm »

The convention on cluster munitions was heavily influenced by a belief that there will be no WW2-style wars with actual frontlines and fortifications. That wars of the future will be decided by high-precision munitions and modern nations simply have no need to use such weapons with rather unpleasant post-war effects.

A major influence of the decision was 2006 Lebanon War in which Israel used cluster munitions extensively and unnecessarily. With many shells being old, they had like 25% unexploded bomblets.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 07, 2023, 04:53:09 pm »

So apparently Prigozhin is back in Russia?

Utterly bizarre.
He's probably dead

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 07, 2023, 05:52:21 pm »

Like I said, its not really an issue (the cluster bomb thing) until civilians are purposely targeted like russia does. And just cause russia targets civilians, doesn't mean anyone else should either. But since Ukraine hasn't done that, its kind of a none issue, just a worry that things escalate to that point.

Something does need to break the front lines though, and if thats mostly where its used, not really a big deal. No civilians will be on the frontlines (willingly anyway)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1069 on: July 07, 2023, 09:59:37 pm »

The hysteria around cluster munitions that are about to be provided to Ukraine disgusts me so much. It is like a religious behavior - our holy texts say that cluster munitions are bad and we'll ignore all circumstances and just scream how bad it is hinting that Ukraine is just as evil as Russia
Reminds me of the Ukrainian defence minister complaining about their German partners willing to give them medical equipment to save those being shot but have moral qualms about helping them stop getting shot

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 08, 2023, 03:54:45 am »

Utterly bizarre.
He's probably dead
Makes me wonder if they're gonna preserve the corpse and make it into a puppet they can make dance around.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #1071 on: July 08, 2023, 04:14:37 am »

Is the Ukrainian offensive succeeding? Or has it been rebuffed by Russia?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 08, 2023, 04:26:45 am »

We'll know in another few months. Even ignoring Operational Security, these kind of campaigns tend to be slow grinds until they suddenly aren't, just like the last big Ukrainian offensives were.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 08, 2023, 04:54:23 am »

Russia has essentially mined the entire frontline. If you just blast a hole through the minefield, you'll be bottlenecking the army. And without long-range missiles do deal with the artillery fire coming in, in particular long-range anti-air missiles since Russia is using their Ka-52s as airborne artillery platforms, Ukraine will have to clear a lot of the minefields before punching forward lest their armor columns end up as sitting ducks.

The good news is these 10-km-deep defensive lines take a lot of time to setup. Once through, there won't be many places to which the Russians can fall back.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 08, 2023, 05:06:41 am »

Is the Ukrainian offensive succeeding? Or has it been rebuffed by Russia?

Currently, there are two major axes of offense - Through the heavily fortified Zaporizhzhia front and an attempt to encircle Russians in the ruins of Bakhmut, both proceed at a slow pace of a few hundred meters per week.  It is accompanied by a campaign of striking Russian logistics inside occupied territories(British cruise missiles, Storm Shadows are VERY useful in this role).

It is believed that roughly 2/3 of new brigades stay in reserve for whatever next stage of the offensive will be.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 08, 2023, 12:51:20 pm »

Utterly bizarre.
He's probably dead
Makes me wonder if they're gonna preserve the corpse and make it into a puppet they can make dance around.
The Russian Army and Auxillaries are called Zombies for a reason. You don't get to leave just because you're dead.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 10, 2023, 08:10:11 am »

Related: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66154909.amp

Russia claims Wagner boss met with Putin and gave Putin his full support. Yeah, they're using his dead body to bolster their position.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 10, 2023, 01:03:19 pm »

There are unconfirmed reports (mostly from Russian Telegram channels) that a captain of a Russian submarine was shot dead during his morning jog. That submarine fired cruise missiles at Ukrainian cities.

I so want it to be true and I so want it to be our guys who will work in Mossad style all over Russia, bringing justice directly to those who deserve it. The list is freaking long. I didn't even want many dead. I want just enough to make those naval officers, those combat pilots, those ballistic missile operators and others live in constant fear.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 10, 2023, 01:29:00 pm »

...it was probably his second-in-command that wanted a bump in pay. I mean, who's gonna know?  ;D

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 10, 2023, 03:01:36 pm »

Free tip for war criminals - Do not post your routes on the internet - https://www.strava.com/athletes/14384072
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 159