Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 211410 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1395 on: September 12, 2023, 07:02:29 am »

I daresay the war in Ukraine shows it'd be unwise for Iran to engage in an uncertain military adventure. Even if Russia ended up winning (or with a settlement that left them with more territory than when they started) the cost/benefit is clearly horrendous.  Azerbajan has an experienced & kind of modern army. In many ways their war with Armenia (which had a Russian style old-soviet-hardware type of army) predicted the course of the war in Ukraine.

Now. I suspect Iran's army is more modernized than Russia and odds are that their old soviet hardware will perform better But on the other hand "better shape than Russia" is a really low bar and I also suspect they are not eager to test its performance outside tighly co trolled scenarios, and fighting for some already contested land of questionable value for them is more likely than not not in the books
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 07:07:46 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1396 on: September 12, 2023, 08:37:58 am »

I suspect Iran's army is more modernized than Russia

AHAHAHAHAHA

GLORIOUS DEAR LEADER PUTIN IS OF MAKE COUNTRY GREAT AND STRONG

Surely now Russia will be able to finally overcome their great rivals and peers (in 30 years) like... Turkey, or Turkish Cyprus

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 12, 2023, 09:33:17 am »

The Russian drones were of Iranian make, right? At least sone of them.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 12, 2023, 11:44:27 am »

The Russian drones were of Iranian make, right? At least sone of them.
Yes, the Saheeds. Which are one of the more effective weapons systems they're using.

I daresay the war in Ukraine shows it'd be unwise for Iran to engage in an uncertain military adventure. Even if Russia ended up winning (or with a settlement that left them with more territory than when they started) the cost/benefit is clearly horrendous.  Azerbajan has an experienced & kind of modern army. In many ways their war with Armenia (which had a Russian style old-soviet-hardware type of army) predicted the course of the war in Ukraine.

Now. I suspect Iran's army is more modernized than Russia and odds are that their old soviet hardware will perform better But on the other hand "better shape than Russia" is a really low bar and I also suspect they are not eager to test its performance outside tighly co trolled scenarios, and fighting for some already contested land of questionable value for them is more likely than not not in the books

The bigger issue for Iran is that they're not a nuclear power. Which means that if a major power decided that intervention was appropriate, Iran doesn't have the same trump card to prevent it. I don't know if any major powers would intervene here, but the possibility is dangerous enough for Iran that they're going to have to think very carefully about it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 12, 2023, 11:53:25 am »

The major issue is that itd likely be another quagmire. I dont think theyd be too concerned about major powers because major powers are too invested in Ukraine right now. But even Turkey/Israel sending Azerbajan weapons might make it into a horrid slog
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: September 12, 2023, 12:59:14 pm »

Usually, when people use the phrase "Leftist Mainstream Media", they're specifically excluding Fox News. It used to also be the phrase "Leftist Mainstream Media" also primary was said on Fox News, so it was kinda obvious that they weren't talking about themselves.

Don't know about anyone else, but "Leftist Mainstream Media" was not what was I responded about.

Spoiler: In more detail... (click to show/hide)

I suspect Iran's army is more modernized than Russia

AHAHAHAHAHA

GLORIOUS DEAR LEADER PUTIN IS OF MAKE COUNTRY GREAT AND STRONG

Surely now Russia will be able to finally overcome their great rivals and peers (in 30 years) like... Turkey, or Turkish Cyprus
Well, when they are apparently arranging for military assistance (in return for food..?[1]) from Kim's country, it seems to suggest an amount of desperation.

Which is not to say that the military might north of that particular DMZ isn't significant, but it seems more geared towards the local regional situation. And sending enough equipment to Russia to make a difference to its active military aspirations would surely mean stripping NK of significant amounts of its hard-won 'deterrent' level. Psychologically, I can't see the native military-industrial-complex production being diverted to export without some hefty form of recompense to fill some other gap in its attempt to maintain parity against the SK/ally enemy.

Which means that it's all rather funny and/or worrying, depending on how seriously we should treat the meeting of the leaders. (It might just be as meaningful as the fleeting detente with the prior US President, of course.)

edit: I wasn't aware that he'd actually started his trip yet, after the rumours over the last few weeks, but shortly after posting the above I came across this news item which covers some of the same speculation. Yes, "tourism" (more Little Green Men? But I was pondering either offers of Wagner-style instructors, or maybe something else) and agriculture. But indeed strong hints that there may be a space-tech dimension to this. Haven't heard what China thinks about this, though, given the on-off nature of Sino-Russian cooperation and more direct Sino-NKorean relations, could be either way.

[1] For the sake of ordinary Best Koreans, I would rather hope so. Some of that grain that they can't/won't export via the Black Sea due to the repurcussions from the hissy-fit over whether Ukraine can do so (with whatever hasn't been roasted by Russian rocketry). Either that or research levels in niche technologies, but I don't know how much help even Putin would give to assist NK's nuclear ambitions. Maybe just its rocketry. "For peaceful purposes."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 01:19:26 pm by Starver »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 12, 2023, 01:05:48 pm »

I daresay the war in Ukraine shows it'd be unwise for Iran to engage in an uncertain military adventure.
I said "its perception of" for a reason. They see what they want to there.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 12, 2023, 08:59:37 pm »

The bigger issue for Iran is that they're not a nuclear power. Which means that if a major power decided that intervention was appropriate, Iran doesn't have the same trump card to prevent it

|I am not entirely sure that it is still true and almost 100% sure that if it is true then it is not for long. Russia will transfer technologies or even their own nukes really soon.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 12, 2023, 09:05:27 pm »

I want to say Iran is the Fascist Italy to Russia's Nazi Germany, but that doesn't really work because Iran is somehow more competent.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 13, 2023, 05:15:41 am »

Fun fact: There is a theory (i think it counts ad a conspiracy theory?) that Iran is behind the recent Koran burnings and succequent fallout for Sweden as part of some scheme to make Sweden look bad?
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 13, 2023, 04:03:59 pm »

There's footage of the aftermath of a Ukranian drone attack on a Russian landing ship and Kilo-class submarine in drydock. The damages to the submarine aren't given enough focus to evaluate the damage, but the landing ship looks like a total loss.

Fun fact: There is a theory (i think it counts ad a conspiracy theory?) that Iran is behind the recent Koran burnings and succequent fallout for Sweden as part of some scheme to make Sweden look bad?

There's evidence that there's foreign actors behind it, but the more probable actor is Russia.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 14, 2023, 12:56:48 am »

(Maybe I should scroll back for the News thread, but as claims are somewhat disputed by the MOD...)

Armed escalation with NATO may have been risked and avoided by incompetence plus equipment failure. The original reporting was already indicative of problems, of course, but now potentially add human errors (that cancelled themselves out).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 14, 2023, 03:19:46 am »

There's footage of the aftermath of a Ukranian drone attack on a Russian landing ship and Kilo-class submarine in drydock. The damages to the submarine aren't given enough focus to evaluate the damage, but the landing ship looks like a total loss.
I'm seeing some claims from Ukraine that Starlink was - once more - shut down for the duration of the attack, stranding the drones before they could reach their targets. The damage would then be done by missiles only.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 14, 2023, 03:25:38 am »

I thought they ditched that starlink thing awhile back, guess that means they couldn't find any alternatives.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 159