Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of AI Awareness  (Read 21820 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of DEATH
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2023, 01:10:25 am »

Oh no, now China threatens to shoot down the balloon that got into its airspace!

It's a balloon war after all!

Either that, or ufos.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2023, 01:45:52 am »

Here I was expecting my original thread on Russia's invasion of Ukraine was going to become the WWIII thread, instead the balloon thread's gonna end up being the WWIII thread at this rate. What a world we live in.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2023, 02:26:12 am »

One minute everyone's saying the worlds gonna end because of Russia, now people are making it seem like it's gonna be because of some dumb ass balloons, wonder what the next potential world ender will be?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2023, 07:59:15 am »

(1) That just the reality of modern media landscape in the social media environment, you have to take any issue up to eleven relying on sensationalistic viral form and breaking news content. That true for any political issue and is actually a very interesting topic of how AI algorithm and content aimed to elicit specific emotions is used to affect audiences and how it affect discourse.

Also there is an interesting dynamic here, as every successful political activist understand political realities and tries to play the game, trying to create awareness by any meanness possible. There also the Zealots, who live inside their echo chambers and can't separate narrative and reality, a holier than thou bunch who lay claim to ultimate truth, believing that their issues are the most important, and others are deranged idiots who use dirty tricks.

(2) One should understand that modern conflicts aren't only fought on the ground, and the role of media in public support and political will. In past conflicts Putin learned that all he need is wait out the westren media short attention span, securing his objectives and then waiting out the media outrage and impotent response, and here we are with war that no one believed could happen.

(3) Regardless of the media narratives. Russia hasn't been considered a competitor for a long while, for that matter China became the focus of USA with Obama pivot, long before Trump's twitter loud mouth brought it to public attention, and mind you despite all Trump's big talk USA strategy didn't changed much with him or after him (nor with Obama for that matter)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 08:18:12 am by jipehog »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2023, 11:18:59 am »

I can definitely say that of all the things that've ended up on the "is this gonna cause WWIII?" list, a balloon war definitely seems like the most amusing one. And definitely in line with the kind of luck we've all been having so far this decade...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2023, 02:42:18 pm »

"is this gonna cause WWIII?"
Surely you jest.

Btw on the two month prior to this event China had a border row with India; Continued in its military harassment of Taiwan, conducting a large exercises simulating attack against Taiwan, while its carrier strike group conducted exercises simulating attacks against USA ally which enjoy its nuclear umbrella; And have intercepted U.S. reconnaissance plane operating in international airspace over South China Sea.

Also just prior to the event was scheduled the first visit by a senior White House official to China in five years. And after its cancelation came report of evidence suggesting Chinese companies support Russia's military effort in various capacities, and the declaration of strengthening trust between China and Russia.

Anyway there is a lot of things going on right now on the world stage that likely influence USA tone and I would like to know more about.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2023, 07:49:03 pm »

Nena was a prophet.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2023, 09:24:02 pm »

Ukraine should replace their Starlinks with balloons.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2023, 10:32:35 pm »

To really get the war started, you need balloons that change color, while flying over another country.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2023, 01:38:39 am »

Surely you jest.

I didn't say it's particularly HIGH on my list. Just the most inane event in particular to ping my "if everyone involved in this is sufficiently stupid enough it might escalate into something, if not necessarily WWIII itself" radar.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2023, 02:26:02 am »

Wonder if the planet would win Darwin Award if everyone died because of a war over a bunch of stupid balloons?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2023, 05:31:27 am »

It would have many advantages. A platform at 20km would have lower latency than one at 550km, would be able to service more connections in the battlefield (and rural settings), and possibly taking the role of cellular base station or early detection and other functions that currently filled by NATO fleet of AWACS(these aircraft cost roughly $10k an hour to operate), there is a reason why USA army is actively investing in this capability. Also presumably the two would work together with low orbit satellite provide backhaul network connectivity to high altitude balloon sats the rest of the world.

Btw a lot of modern warfare solution are networked e.g. active protection system advertise more than just individual tanks ability to destroy incoming threats but the ability of tanks and other system to work together share sensor data, sharing commands, choosing which system is better suited for each task depending on ammo availability position etc. Hugely increasing the the value of all these high cost gadgets on them. (Think on F35, one of their great advantages is network ability, often you'd see F35 fly along other previous gen planes just for that function) There is also the idea of huge drone swarms which starlink wouldn't be able to service.

That said, outside of USA umbrella Russia would shoot them, but in real scenario they would be much cheaper and easier to deploy/replace, much harder to detect and in case they go down no long lasting space debris problem in orbit.

Wonder if the planet would win Darwin Award if everyone died because of a war over a bunch of stupid balloons?
That belongs to USA social media constant state of outrage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 05:43:52 am by jipehog »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2023, 09:25:14 am »

It would have many advantages. A platform at 20km would have lower latency than one at 550km, would be able to service more connections in the battlefield (and rural settings), and possibly taking the role of cellular base station or early detection and other functions that currently filled by NATO fleet of AWACS(these aircraft cost roughly $10k an hour to operate), there is a reason why USA army is actively investing in this capability. Also presumably the two would work together with low orbit satellite provide backhaul network connectivity to high altitude balloon sats the rest of the world.

Btw a lot of modern warfare solution are networked e.g. active protection system advertise more than just individual tanks ability to destroy incoming threats but the ability of tanks and other system to work together share sensor data, sharing commands, choosing which system is better suited for each task depending on ammo availability position etc. Hugely increasing the the value of all these high cost gadgets on them. (Think on F35, one of their great advantages is network ability, often you'd see F35 fly along other previous gen planes just for that function) There is also the idea of huge drone swarms which starlink wouldn't be able to service.

That said, outside of USA umbrella Russia would shoot them, but in real scenario they would be much cheaper and easier to deploy/replace, much harder to detect and in case they go down no long lasting space debris problem in orbit.

That belongs to USA social media constant state of outrage.

You forgot the #1 advantage: It would belong to Ukraine, and they could do whatever they wanted with it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2023, 11:59:49 am »

At least it's nice to know that if ever a highly advanced alien race decides to take a look at earth with balloon probes, that they will be welcomed with a boom. I am sure that will make us very pop-ular with them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 12:01:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2023, 02:13:42 pm »

You forgot the #1 advantage: It would belong to Ukraine, and they could do whatever they wanted with it.
True.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28