Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of AI Awareness  (Read 21807 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of DEATH
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2023, 02:14:47 am »

What if they aren't balloons but floating invaders from space, oh god it's the end of the world!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2023, 02:54:03 am »

I warned you guys

Sorry guys we're funked

Edit: size
Love, scriver~

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2023, 06:23:31 am »

The lower altitude is a genuine concern - if this was also drifting uncontrolled the risk of a collision with an airliner is small but real. Such a collision would also be a fair bit higher on the International Incident scale than merely floating over.

I doubt that is it. There are many far more severe incidents that didn't get this attention.

I know nothing on the situation outside of few news articles. My initial guess was that this is being used for diplomatic purposes to highlight Chinese ambition ( there are many Chinese trolls who claim that west is inherently violent while China is inherently peaceful). But now I wondering if this might be another 'missile gap' narrative since USA (which heavily relies on satellites and drones) dropped the ball on near space development.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 06:37:21 am by jipehog »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2023, 06:41:10 am »

I warned you guys

Sorry guys we're funked

Edit: size

Who's funked? The cavallery is coming! Blue ass planet dwellers.
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2023, 07:04:08 am »

The lower altitude is a genuine concern - if this was also drifting uncontrolled the risk of a collision with an airliner is small but real. Such a collision would also be a fair bit higher on the International Incident scale than merely floating over.

I doubt that is it. There are many far more severe incidents that didn't get this attention.

I know nothing on the situation outside of few news articles. My initial guess was that this is being used for diplomatic purposes to highlight Chinese ambition ( there are many Chinese trolls who claim that west is inherently violent while China is inherently peaceful). But now I wondering if this might be another 'missile gap' narrative since USA (which heavily relies on satellites and drones) dropped the ball on near space development.

There's no capability here the US doesn't have - NASA regularly sends actual weather balloons up to such heights.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2023, 08:24:29 am »

There is a difference between potential and doing e.g. USA won the space race but up until recently it have been relying on Russia for Rocket launches.. It certainly has or in the process of losing technological advantage in some sectors along with the market dominance and economic benefits that often comes along. 

In this case, at the very least there is a gap in detection capabilities here. But more broadly, these high altitude balloon is just the vehicle, what matter is what hardware can be placed on it and what this platform can be used for. So far I provided example inline with your news China security narrative, and while any such platform could have military applications (like starlink), these have FAR more interesting civilian applications from agriculture to 5G networks, a multi billion industry in a field with in creased competition in recent times.

But I am just guessing, I haven't read anything concrete on this subject yet.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 11:10:29 am by jipehog »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2023, 01:30:13 pm »

The 'g' word has been uttered by a DOD official, though if I recall it was in reference to detection of high-altitude objects more than the objects themselves. And it was more of a gap in terms of absolute absence as opposed to relative absence.

“Every day as a NORAD commander, it’s my responsibility to detect threats to North America. I will tell you that we did not detect those threats. And that’s a domain awareness gap that we have to figure out, but I don’t want to go into further detail," Gen. Glen VanHerck, the commander of U.S. Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command, told reporters on [2/6/23].

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2023, 03:03:46 pm »

...it might also just be fear mongering for more money.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2023, 04:18:22 pm »

Money-grubbing? In the Military Industrial Complex? Say it ain't so!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2023, 04:28:32 pm »

The only surprise is what they try to justify with this "gap".

I think a Battleship would be ideal coverage in this area...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2023, 05:22:46 pm »

I mean, what do you actually do to plug that potential gap anyway?

Aren't weather/spy balloons pretty hard to detect with the equipment that's good at detecting everything else? Low emissions, low speed, operate high above normal operating altitude for drones or vehicles. Anything tailored to plug detection or destruction issues caused by balloons would probably be fairly useless otherwise wouldn't it?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2023, 05:27:03 pm »

The only surprise is what they try to justify with this "gap".

I think a Battleship would be ideal coverage in this area...

Only four squares. But a carrier would occupy five. And lining up a cruiser and a submarine covers six, and can potentially really confuse your opponent, for a short while...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2023, 05:29:29 pm »

GENTLEFOLK, WE HAVE ANOTHER BALLOON (or ufo).

A new “high-altitude airborne object” has been spotted and shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Saturday, as U.S. personnel continued efforts to recover the remnants of two other craft shot down over Alaska and South Carolina within the last week.

. . . .

The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) had said earlier in a statement that it had “positively identified” the latest object, but offered few additional details. The organization includes both U.S. and Canadian military officials, and protects the skies over North America.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2023, 07:29:48 pm »

IT'S OFFICAL!!!

THE WORLD WAR AGAINST THE CHINESE SPY BALLOONS HAVE BEGUN!!!

EVERYONE TO THE TREBUCHETS!!!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2023, 07:55:35 pm »

Can we use overly excitable American posters as ammunition, last time I seen someone so excited about BALLONS was when i was eleven.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28