Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If people make new religions for THE 21'st century, what are they going to need?  (Read 1373 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

1. People are naturally religious. I say that as a tacit atheist.

2. SHIT'S WACK. I don't see our religions surviving robots and serious climate change and fucking everything else. Seriously, you can't just fold that into the bible. It's just too chaotic.

So...

If you need a new religion, what do you need?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

I don't see our religions surviving robots and serious climate change and fucking everything else. Seriously, you can't just fold that into the bible. It's just too chaotic.

Since you mention the Bible specifically here, I'll just mention that the Abrahamic religions have survived literally thousands of years of change, and it hasn't stopped anyone from folding things into their beliefs.  Can't speak to any detail of anything outside of them.

Hardliners will just double down on their beliefs.  I know some people who think that even believing that climate change is real is paganism, for example, despite all the evidence.  If climate change became undeniable, like say flooding Florida, well, that's just God's will and you don't question it past that.  That's what Hurricane Katrina was, anyway.

People who aren't hardliners may be more reasonable and say things like God left Earth in our hands and we messed it up because we're fallible humans.  Of course we messed it up.  <dwarf fortress>It was inevitable.</dwarf fortress>

On the topic of AI and robots, I'm pretty sure hardliners will just say they're soulless machines and we'll incur God's wrath for trying to create life (hey, convenient explanation for climate change getting worse).  More reasonable people may say that anything that can understand the Bible has a soul and can be saved.  I'm sure some Christian denominations will eventually take that route.  No idea how other religions would handle it.

So in short, I'd expect a lot of the same with a generational shift toward just massaging beliefs as needed.  The literal contents of the Bible or any other holy book are only tangentially relevant.  It doesn't matter if someone's Roomba woke up tomorrow and started asking them if it had a soul, I can't see mainstream religions changing quickly.  It's too core to people's identity.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

The things are one thing, the movements are another. Chaos being a big piece of people's lives on a new and experiential level is going to pose particular problems for religion. It's not a war that will blow over, it's just that shit is wack wack wack.

Which a little too easily becomes quack quack quack.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 12:12:08 pm by Scoops Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Blackjack.

And hookers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jrleebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this the part where we mention Scientology?

Blackjack.

And hookers.
And Skookum.
Yes this is the way!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might find this interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6BK5Q_Dblo

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

Religion will survive, the current ones are too big to fall, sorry to burst your bubble. The Bible is a metaphor anyways, literalism makes no logical or theological sense and the vast majority of scholars agree.

Fuck, I'd not deconvert if aliens showed up and said they created us.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

The easiest way of making new religions is building om old religions. Old mythology is the first thing new religions need.

The things are one thing, the movements are another. Chaos being a big piece of people's lives on a new and experiential level is going to pose particular problems for religion. It's not a war that will blow over, it's just that shit is wack wack wack.

Which a little too easily becomes quack quack quack.

You act as if the world has never ended before. Europe alone has undergone several apocalypses.

The main way people deal with this is by folding it into their already existent mythologies as how they see the apocalypse as happening. In Norse mythology of the late Scandinavian Iron Age (ca 800-1000 AD), for example, the end times, Ragnarok, is described as a great winter, when war and violence will never end and bonds are meaningless, alliances are betrayed, and even family and friends betray and turn on each other. These stories could he rooted in the same climate change and conflicts that might have driven the start of the Migration Era, as large amounts of people were displaced and forced out if the North. Maybe over time it changed from "this is what happened in the apocalyptic times" to "this is what happen, and how the apocalypse will happen again" to "this is what will happen in the apocalypse".

The Migration Era, in turn, then results in the fall of the Western Empire and a complete restructuring of the Roman world, with Germanian tribes suddenly dominating the majority of western Europe and Slavic tribes having laid beneath them large swathes of land that was previously Roman in the east. Some people theorise that the book of Revelstions is a written depiction of this period, which would undoubtedly seem apocalyptic to Roman scholars. Then it changed into a vision of how the apocalypse of the future would look.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The Migration Era, in turn, then results in the fall of the Western Empire and a complete restructuring of the Roman world, with Germanian tribes suddenly dominating the majority of western Europe and Slavic tribes having laid beneath them large swathes of land that was previously Roman in the east. Some people theorise that the book of Revelstions is a written depiction of this period, which would undoubtedly seem apocalyptic to Roman scholars. Then it changed into a vision of how the apocalypse of the future would look.
My favourite thing ever is always reading what the early Anglo-Saxons wrote about their own perception of time & their Kingdoms, often building their halls within Roman ruins & one even built his hall atop a Roman mosaic. Some of their poems really capture the mood of "not only is the world ending, but actually the world has already ended and we are deeply aware we're standing on the ruins of a dead Empire and we may be next"

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

You might start with an understanding that the word “apocalypse” at the time it was used in the Revelation of Christ to John doesn’t mean “end of the world” but meant “unveiling.”

So in that sense religions are indeed built on apocalypses, as new things are revealed.

I might have to go read up on when and how the meaning of “apocalypse” changed.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gotta be an extremely good salesman with really good charisma to make a new religion and if we go by skyrim terms...max speech skill

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

I know this thread is another AI nonsense generated subject, but couldn't resist to post that robots already have their religious and atheists since a decade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnzlbyTZsQY
:D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 04:55:37 pm by Robsoie »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile

I don't see our religions surviving robots and serious climate change and fucking everything else.
I do.

I might have to go read up on when and how the meaning of “apocalypse” changed.
If I had to guess it has to do with the book called "Revelation" in English being called "Apokalypsis" or "Apocalypsis" in Greek and Latin respectively. Old (and, today, old-fashioned) translations of the Bible into English called it "The Apocalypse" as well. I imagine the word slowly evolved from meaning "the vision Saint John saw and/or the book containing it" to "the end of the world as described in the vision" to the modern sense of "the end of the world generally or any particular world-ending scenario". When this shift happened I don't know.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.
Pages: [1] 2