Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Moats: Are they viable without causing FPS death?  (Read 857 times)

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Moats: Are they viable without causing FPS death?
« on: January 09, 2023, 02:21:21 pm »

So I'm considering embarking on a major project that will eventually involve a magma moat.

The world size will be 64X64 to help reduce fps issues, but i'm planning to embark in a cold area, maybe a glacier or tundra or something, and on top of a volcano.

I plan for this fortress to last for centuries, as I want to get Cave Dragons.

I also plan to set up an obsidian generator and farm obsidian blocks for the project, as well as glass, if I can manage to make sand, or find sand on the embark site.

I'm already planning to take steps to reduce FPS problems, but once I start the  project itself the fortress will be centuries old by then and thus likely to already be aflicked with FPS loss.

I guess my question is: will a significantly large magma moat cause problems for the FPS?

Edit: I meant when they're stable and not flowing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:25:40 pm by bool1989 »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Moats: Are they viable without causing FPS death?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 02:54:34 pm »

I believe that when it's all filled and stable it shouldn't be too much of an FPS drain (if any at all). The filling itself can also be FPS reasonable by clever pumpstack design (to avoid constant temperature re-calculation while it is pumping)
Not sure about rain however, you might want to roof it over.
Trees growing too close could be a thing to avoid too.

My intel might be outdated though. Been ages since I had a magma moat, could well have been the 0.3x series.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:56:57 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 03:00:31 pm »

i did a magma moat, 2 tiles wide slowly filled up (like 2 years to go around a 3*3 embark) and it was almost FPS neutral ...
but i drained it directly from a magma tube so it did not involve many moving parts.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 03:07:04 pm »

i did a magma moat, 2 tiles wide slowly filled up (like 2 years to go around a 3*3 embark) and it was almost FPS neutral ...
but i drained it directly from a magma tube so it did not involve many moving parts.

Well that's good to know. It's mainly the scale of the project I have in mind that's causing me to work. I don't want to start working on the project if the game is just gonna crash every time I try to fill the moat.

I'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 03:33:52 pm »

just don't aim to use magma on the other side of the moat (i did made an obsidian farm oposed to the volcano, and it filled slooowly) but FPS is good in this version, even was able to flood a treefarm without too much hurt on FPS.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 04:40:53 pm »

Consider this... every fort already has great quantities of stationary underground magma, and glacial volcano embarks have about 300 magma tiles exposed to cold and snow. The stationary magma is not the problem.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 11:33:51 am »

Yeah fluids that aren't flowing take up very little resources.