Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Wonderous Weapon Workshop (SG) Golem Gladiators  (Read 3683 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Wonderous Weapon Workshop (SG) Day 1: Masterpiece
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 07:56:20 pm »

I'm not sure if this is possible with an Animal Core or if it's closer to Man territory.

It would be possible, as it isn't particularly complex. In this case a Man core would allow it to transform on its own to fit the tactical situation, while an Animal core would require the owner to actively input what version it wants.

Why don't we make a sentry gun using one of those animal cores, that seems like a massive project we'd be proud of!

A sentry gun of course! If you're making something you aren't selling anyway, it might as well be something that you can use!

You've seen several sentry sentry guns on main street. In general there are two common types. With this era of weapons reloading is difficult to do for an animal core, as it requires someone to shove the required powder and ball down the front of the gun. And a set of hands, usually. So weapon craftsmen like yourself can either slam as many gun barrels on as possible and let an operator handle the reloading, or they can come up with a mechanism that allows the simple animal core to reload. The former is more common as it is easier to make and maintain, but it makes the weapon too bulky to move from a static position effectively dooming the weapon to protecting fortresses, ships, and castles. Reloading sentry guns take more skill to make and maintain, but tend to be much lighter allowing them to be deployed anywhere easily, allowing them to even be deployed on active battlefields. In either case they need a handler to be able to work efficiently - while shooting anyone strange coming into an area is a valid order Animal cores are easy enough to trick that any enemy force with brains could expand their ammunition without loosing anyone unless they're taken by surprise.

So are you going to make...

A) Multibarrel sentry gun
B) Reloading sentry gun
C) Other. Standard designs are for standard people, I have a better idea!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 09:34:15 pm »

C - Pedal-Powered Machi-
C - Torsion Array.

What's the point of making a masterpiece if we're just going to make what already exists? We'll have the rest of our career to do that if we please!

Making the handler reload sounds like a pain, but the loss in fire rate from a single barrel autoloader sounds less than ideal. The problem stems from having to load the gunpowder, so why not do away with the gunpowder outright?

Create multiple torsion driven firing units and rig it up with golem mesh to wind and (hopefully) load.

Maximum damage per shot is probably going to be more limited versus a blackpowder solution (unless we gear it towards launching things like explosives which is probably not something we want inside our workshop) and won't hold as many shots as a true multibarrel but the ability to fire multiple shots and reload, and the novelty of it should make it a good trade-off.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:41:43 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 10:01:00 pm »

B) Reloading Sentry Gun

It's the most efficient option.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2023, 10:29:32 pm »

C Mixed mechanics, several reflexive golem cores will control the various stages of reloading its selection of barrels, and in turn be controlled by the Animal golem core that only really needs to remember the order of operations.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:36:31 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 10:56:56 pm »

C: Harpoon Cannon. We don't need to worry about packing powder or running out of ammunition if the turret uses ballista mechanisms to fire chained harpoons and then reels them (and any catches) back in.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2023, 11:38:39 pm »

C: Harpoon Cannon. We don't need to worry about packing powder or running out of ammunition if the turret uses ballista mechanisms to fire chained harpoons and then reels them (and any catches) back in.
+1 This while antiquated is also cool.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 02:15:39 am »

+1 This while antiquated is also cool.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 04:22:25 pm »

I like the harpoon too.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2023, 11:10:25 pm »

You create a torsion driven firing unit, known to the common man as ballista! The common man probably wouldn't think of firing a harpoon from one of these babies, and he won't need to since it will do it itself!

First step is making the wooden parts. Wood is somewhat annoying to work with as far as golems are concerned, as the mesh has to be applied on its outside of the wooden structure then covered with either a lacquer or plaster when you can't sandwich it between two separate pieces of wood. At least those are the traditional methods. With your current project it will be unlikely to take a beating, so you don't lose much from the outside method. Cross beam, cross bars, arms, frame, and so on and so forth are carefully carved out of the quality wood offered by your contact.

Next is the metal portion. Harpoons and chains. Golem mesh is highly heat resistant and can be added during the smelting process, making it easier to add to metal than wood. Not that his portion particularly needs it, but this will allow it to move around obstacles when being pulled back in and to detach from targets at will. You make three harpoons alongside three long chains.

Finally, the rope. As with the metal it is fairly easy to weave golem mesh in with your rope. It will let the golem control the tension of the firing unit a bit more, mostly to prevent catastrophic failures in the skein.

With all the parts made you get to construction, starting at the ground with a sturdy four-footed stool. You place the Animal core, a first sized bronze ball with a glowing red gem in its center, in the middle of the stool where it won't get away. You insure the swivel works and begin adding the mess to the woodwork, with the core disabled for safety. You build the ballista up from that position, continually connecting it to the golem core. It looks much like a standard ballista, though its "paintjob" would give it away as a self-driving weapon. This includes the crank, which allows the golem the same mechanical advantage as a human user. You then attach three harpoon mechanisms to the front underbelly, including the harpoon, the chain, and a second/third/forth crank for returning each harpoon. At least I think this is what the design calls for, I think "harpoons" is meant to be more than one rather than one big harpoon? The firing ark is designed so that it will shoot above previously fired chains, though there is a high chance of the second or third shot colliding with previous shot's harpoons and the Animal core isn't smart enough to avoid such impacts without direct human intervention. Before firing the harpoons are held on wooden platforms to the side, the golem tipping them into firing position when necessary.

With crossed fingers you turn on the Animal core and register yourself as its user with a drop of blood. It hops to life with a shudder. You test it against some hay bales in your Master's testing range. Movement is stable, the harpoon cannon is capable of turning 360 degrees without issue. It is capable of accurately picking a target and firing. Shots go slightly under 100 meters. You had hoped for more, but the chains add a significant amount of extra mass and end up making the projectile significantly heavier than competitors. Testing against some armor scraps, you find it is able to pierce standard armor at under 50 meters. Against heavy armor or things tougher than humans it won't be reliable at this distance, but it should be able to damage lesser threats reliably past it.

Overall all your hopes and fears are both realized. It is weaker than a black powder weapon of equivalent size, but it is fully capable of firing and reloading without issues (so long as the harpoon chains don't get tangled together in a way it can't reverse).

Are you happy with this as you masterpiece submission, or do you want to make modifications?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 12:47:13 am »

I dare anyone to steal from us now.

Satisfactory!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 02:46:57 am »

Given we're gonna be using this in a store I doubt we'll be killing hostiles from more that 50 meters, so it should be fine the way it is.

Satisfactory!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 08:06:47 pm »

With your masterpiece finished, you run off to get your Master for approval. He is in the other room of the workshop, so you don't have to run far. He's a stone golem, roughly the size of a bear, filling up much of the workshop with his multiple limbs each working on part of his current project. Stone golems are cheap and easy to make - the golem mesh is shaped then covered with concrete to which aggregate stone is added making something roughly equivalent to a moving wall. Usually for a Genius golem more expensive material would be used, but in your Master's case his "parent" had broken the bank buying his core and had little more to spend on the rest of the materials. He is naturally slow and clumsy from his construction method, but has modified his body to be able to make weapons efficiently anyway. Maybe this is where his obsession with efficiency came from in the first place?

He stumbles over and examines the piece thoroughly with first his eyes, then his rope "tail" that felt all over the machine for any imperfections that would escape his expert gaze. Satisfied he connects his core with your Harpoon Cannon, testing it out as you had.

"Efficiently made. This work is acceptable."

High praise, coming from him. Still he points out the shortcomings - the same you have already known about - as bluntly as ever. With a brief pat on the back from one of his lighter arms he shambles away once again to finish your Master application, leaving you to perform last minute touch ups on your masterpiece.

Evening time and the whole village assembled at the town square in the light of a bonfire. The village Chief, a well built elderly man who has been crafting weapons for so long it is rumored that Adventurers find his works in the ruins, stands on a cart to give him some sense of authority over the procedure.

"Today we have a Journeyman applying to be the newest Master of our village. Do you vouch for their ability on your own well-earned reputation?"

The Chief has the final say in if the masterpiece gets approved or not. In this process, he acts as the judge. Your Master takes on the role of "Advocate", something like a defense attorney.

"I do. Their skill and innovation bring honor to our village."

"Do you vouch for their character?"

"I do. Their actions will never bring shame upon our village."

In addition to skill you theoretically have to have character to earn your license. That is to say you can't be a criminal, since if you end up scamming customers the village would quickly lose its main source of income. You can be a jerk or whatever, as long as you are a jerk who doesn't go around openly breaking laws. Your Master is well known for his own moral standards and his advocacy is likely to make this part go smoothly at least.

"Present your piece."

You bring your Harpoon Cannon in front of the crowd. There are some comments from the assorted villagers, which the chief calms with some hand motions.

"Skeptic, come forward..."

And acting as the 'persecution' is the Skeptic. Where as the Advocate provides the village all the reasons you should be a Master, the Skeptic's job is to provide all the reasons you shouldn't. Traditionally the Chief finds the person in the village who least wants you to become a Master for the job. This way they'll go out of their way to find any reason to deny you the title, revealing any flaws in your creation or character. And that tradition holds true as on the other side of the fire sits your Rival.

Who is your Rival, and why are they your Rival?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Wonderous Weapon Workshop (SG) Evening 1: Master Trial
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 09:21:09 pm »

A jealous ex we broke up with acrimoniously because we wanted to become a craftsman while the ex wanted to leave the village and become an adventurer.
The fact that the rival is still here only increases the bitterness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 09:47:26 pm »

Our Evil Twin, a psychotic craftsman who believes advanced golems- like our master- are 'things' and should be treated as such rather than as people, furthermore they have been rather open in their opinion that we can't be called a "master", let alone a "Journeyman" just because we trained under them.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 02:22:29 am »

Our Evil Twin, a psychotic craftsman who believes advanced golems- like our master- are 'things' and should be treated as such rather than as people, furthermore they have been rather open in their opinion that we can't be called a "master", let alone a "Journeyman" just because we trained under them.
+1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5