Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to increase pop of fort when my civ is me and a mini-site?  (Read 462 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got just 17 dwarves and noticed my civ just has 1 site apart of mine with less than 10 dwarves.

Wondering if it is a lost cause or if I can do something? I want to get to like 50 dwarves.

The world has 1 dominant civ that I'm at war with and I want to fight back. But I don't see it possible with just 17 dwarves. I loose 1 each time I conquer a site, and I can't even afford that.

Only get 1 or 0 visitors a year so that probably won't work.

I was wondering if I became the mountainhome then I'd get the king entourage and maybe an economically linked holding if I am lucky? (They're still alive somewhere.) But can I become a mountainhome with just 17 dwarves?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

I bet there is a way to increase the amount of visitors (and thereby potential long-term residents), so long as there is a friendly civilisation with population to spare.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I bet there is a way to increase the amount of visitors (and thereby potential long-term residents), so long as there is a friendly civilisation with population to spare.

I doubt that there is.

It's a sparsly populated world with most sites being below 10 pop. The evil empire-civ controls nearly everything with the "rebel" sites being spars and mostly at below 10 or max 20 pop.

The only non-empire site with a decent population is a goblin pit with 200 goblins.

I'm down to googling if I could somehow get a gorlak I caught in a cage trap to join my civ. Apparently that's not possible lol

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

The best may be to get your remaining dwarves to wed if possible. Make their little hovel a paradise and give them lots of time to idle in a meeting area zome, but not a tavern, library or temple, they don't build relationships as fast in taverns or at all in temples or libraries as far as I've seen. Turn the tavern/temple/library zones off for a couple months at a time and then back on for a couple months (you can suspend/unsuspend them from the zone menu when you select the zones)

If you ever given them private rooms, remove them all and put them all in a single small but fancy bedroom so that even if they try to hang out in their bedroom all the time they're still interacting with people. Maybe make that bedroom the main meeting area.

It might take years to see results of course, if ever. And another 18 to see adult children (the v50 update raised the adulthood age to 18 for all the main races.)

The next best idea is to retire the site and found another, and do that again and again with more sites. Where they are or if theyre actually viable doesnt matter, they can be 1x1 glacier plots. You'll get at least 7 new dwarves from founding sites, and can retire them shortly thereafter and found another. Soon you can found a fort or unretire this one you're at with a larger population
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile

Do retired Forts still get a pop Boost?  We play an older Version and We've noticed Our retired Fortresses seem to get quite the Population Influx between 'when they got retired' and 'founding the next Fortress'.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile

Do retired Forts still get a pop Boost?  We play an older Version and We've noticed Our retired Fortresses seem to get quite the Population Influx between 'when they got retired' and 'founding the next Fortress'.
That's from dwarves migrating there from other sites.