Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [0.50 Steam] The return of Armok's Whisker (major spoiler !!SCIENCE!!)  (Read 4867 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.50 Steam] The return of Armok's Whisker (major spoiler !!SCIENCE!!)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2023, 05:41:10 pm »

anyone figured out a good way to safely mine these that doesn't end up in your miner getting killed?
Mayfly monsters are insta kill for your miner, the guardians and some other monsters often give your miner a bit of time to get away, but the mayfly and some others spit webs as soon as they're released.
I've.... been save scumming a lot.

been trying to figure out a pattern to see what blocks could be safe to mine. haven't gotten very far yet though, other distractions in my fort are not helping.
So far:
Guardians are not trap avoid (or at least I caught one in a cage) other monsters defiantly are trap avoid.
Monsters that shoot webs are insta death to your miner, others typically give your miner enough time to get away and lock hatches.
Locked hatches block them.

Monsters do come from mining gem clusters,
I think they come from obsidian too, (needs confirming)
I don't think they come from normal rock (needs confirming)
Unsure if they can come from wet or hot. (possibly can if the wet/hot is another z layer.)
Guardians have special metal armor and weapons (can melt down into bars and reform) they also have special (frilly) cloth clothes which I don't think can be reused.
Unsure if they're all procedural or if there are a number of different types of designed monster/guardian.
Save Scumming and digging the same tile appears to give the same monster.
Channeling from the layer above might be the best way to dig into hot and wet.
Unsure if channeling from above gives your miner a better chance at surviving web throwers.
Haven't experimented with carving fortifications too much. 

I *think* there's both pockets of water/lava as well as lava creating walls which explode when mined. haven't noticed water creating walls.

my FPS is 5 at the moment, possibly due to stuck cave dwellers which I'm trying to pipe magma too deal with, but it's slowing down my experimentation in this area.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 04:25:36 am by se5a »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 05:04:20 pm »

Angels and demons are inside the rock when it's generated. I'm looking forward to DFhack's reveal command when that eventually comes out.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 08:19:27 am »

Angels and demons are inside the rock when it's generated. I'm looking forward to DFhack's reveal command when that eventually comes out.

There are early builds you can use. (You could ask around the DFHack discord for the most recent one.) I don't think plugins are enabled yet, but it's possible to reveal tiles by unsetting their hidden flag using lua scripting. Doing so triggers all the events like fire jets, as seen in screenshots of above ground whisker.

It's too bad the Steam tileset limits the usefulness for checking revealed tile materials at a glance, since they show up as black unless exposed at the side. Have to temporarily switch to ASCII mode for that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 08:37:12 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 12:39:57 pm »

anyone figured out a good way to safely mine these that doesn't end up in your miner getting killed?

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but assuming the hostile already exists before being unleashed, it should be trivial to have a cave-in crash through the floor above them, instantly killing them.  Any loot may or may not persist and can be accessed by mining the rubble.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 02:39:22 pm »

Transmigrating some of my questions from discord, as i dont have the time to test right now for empirical testing targets for armok-whiskers.

1: Can they be influenced by affecting the types of creatures that burst out of these things, so that they are mod setting appropriate.

2: Does setting unique demon types to 0 rig the chances of experiencing angels more, or nullify both creature effects

3: (if above is negative) Can they be turned off altogether or would removing the caverns be necessary?

4: what RAW editable properties determine the composition of the actual pillar itself (immediate high value?)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2023, 04:26:42 pm »

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but assuming the hostile already exists before being unleashed, it should be trivial to have a cave-in crash through the floor above them, instantly killing them.  Any loot may or may not persist and can be accessed by mining the rubble.
This technique works wonders - mine through the lowest layer of the spire that you can reach, separate the walls and ceiling, and trigger a collapse. Any dangerous creatures, if not killed outright, will at least be wounded. Demons and angels will fight if they encounter each other. Fire tiles trigger harmlessly, and artifacts and gemstones can be retrieved from the rubble.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2023, 07:48:38 pm »

I just recorded this video of an v50 Armok's Whisker discovered while trying to diagnose an ill-behaved save. The whisker is 542 z levels high (-23 to 518) but the game won't allow you to see all of it. The total embark height is 714 z-levels. The frame rate is about one frame per 10 seconds. Enjoy.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2023, 08:48:10 pm »

I figured someone should start a thread to collect saves and do !!SCIENCE!! both for our own amusement and to help with bug tracking, so here we are.  Post about the expected / properly working new HFS and the weird bugs are both welcome.

I just recorded this video of an v50 Armok's Whisker discovered while trying to diagnose an ill-behaved save. The whisker is 542 z levels high (-23 to 518) but the game won't allow you to see all of it. The total embark height is 714 z-levels. The frame rate is about one frame per 10 seconds. Enjoy.

Screencaps from vid:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A link to the world save:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16543

A screen cap of the deployment area in ascii display for where the tower has appeared:
(Note: The game can just straight crash trying to load this location, or anywhere in this particular biome / region honestly.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:50:03 pm by dikbutdagrate »
Pages: 1 [2]