Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I hate it.  (Read 1858 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I hate it.
« on: December 09, 2022, 03:01:08 am »

I just love having Dwarf Therapist and DFHack way too much to like the new version.

Like being able to look up the dwarves natural skills to see what they might be good at before choosing professions.
Being able to give designations priorities.

It's killing me.

I'm glad I bought it though, at least I gave the guys some long earned cash for the many years of pleasure playing the game :)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate it.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 03:38:01 am »

just wait! classic is both promised and will likely satiate much of what concerns you. there has never been a DF release that went perfectly smooth. Often a few weeks are needed to really see what the release will look like.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 03:44:28 am »

just wait! classic is both promised and will likely satiate much of what concerns you. there has never been a DF release that went perfectly smooth. Often a few weeks are needed to really see what the release will look like.

If we can get DFHack working in it, I will be really really happy ;)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 03:50:15 am »

DFHack I know is in the plans, maybe even being worked on already.
Therapist I'm not as sure about, since the new labor system might have changed the system it connects to, though it technically has the same level of detail where every dwarf can have their labors micromanaged. It's just more finnicky than before, because it's largely not needed.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 03:54:41 am »

Therapist I'm not as sure about, since the new labor system might have changed the system it connects to, though it technically has the same level of detail where every dwarf can have their labors micromanaged. It's just more finnicky than before, because it's largely not needed.

ok then, I love this now :)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 04:45:42 am »

So glad they didn't go the spreadsheet micromanagement route.

Anyhow, I'm sure Therapist will be along whenever. Just gotta wait (as we do for every Dwarf Fortress release - it's never just sitting there ready and waiting).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 11:14:58 am »

there has never been a DF release that went perfectly smooth. Often a few weeks are needed to really see what the release will look like.

This is what I have to keep reminding myself each time I watch a stream/video of DF Premium and feel there's too much stuff missing/looking clunky. (Currently having really mixed feelings about the release, but we'll see in a few weeks/a month how things turn out.)

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 11:18:29 am »

For what it's worth, I imagine most of the underlying code for the missing parts (logs and the like) still exist. Just needs to be wired up properly.

Also, there are still designation priorities. That's what the right arrow labeled "advanced options" is for. I've been making extensive use of them, personally.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 11:53:29 am »

It’s being worked on, apparently…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 01:02:43 pm »

there has never been a DF release that went perfectly smooth. Often a few weeks are needed to really see what the release will look like.

This is what I have to keep reminding myself each time I watch a stream/video of DF Premium and feel there's too much stuff missing/looking clunky. (Currently having really mixed feelings about the release, but we'll see in a few weeks/a month how things turn out.)
On one hand, I partially agree - on the other, I don't think there's been an update that's had the issues this done has - as in, a lot of small issues adding up to one bigger one, as opposed to just i.e stress being janky and as a result sentients being far too easily stressed out.
At least, the stress issue was somewhat fixable by modders, adding discipline or reducing stress vulnerability - the UI issues cannot be fixed by the community so far (or, there's no indication we can, changelog hasn't been kept up - the FAQ on Steam says a "modder may be able to fix the issues" but, as said before, no indication of this being in our hands).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 01:38:34 pm »

On one hand, I partially agree - on the other, I don't think there's been an update that's had the issues this done has - as in, a lot of small issues adding up to one bigger one, as opposed to just i.e stress being janky and as a result sentients being far too easily stressed out.

Yeah, I can't currently say much since my information comes only from what I've seen on streams and read from feedback (haven't had the money yet to buy Premium). But you're right, it appears things are much more problematic now.

Which, then again, was sort of expected with such an enormous amount of changes that were done.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 01:43:13 pm »

I think it's less the scale than it is exactly what these bugs hit. Previous bugs tended to break underlying mechanics in some way, such as stress, or raids, or taverns, and could ultimately be worked around by just trying to avoid those mechanics as best as possible.

The bugs here are with the fundamental ability to control the game itself. Which, to be fair, is expected in a release that literally overhauls the entire UI of the game. It's a lot harder to work around a literal inability to see some piece of information or input some necessary action. That's also what makes them so much more frustrating.

Then again, since these are simply failures to present some information previously presented or input some course of action previously inputtable, I would assume the underlying code for it all remains and all that needs to be done is to properly link up UI details. So, hopefully, fixing these myriad issues shouldn't be as difficult as, say, those insidious raid bugs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:45:12 pm by LuuBluum »

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 03:32:38 pm »

When the game changed from 40d (which had been stable for a long time) to 0.31 it just... broke. It just completely stopped functioning, and didn't start working again for months, maybe even a year or more. You're incorrect: There have been updates that added so many problems that the whole experience added up to one massive issue. That was probably also true of the shift from 2D to 3D, but I wasn't around for that.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 03:39:38 pm »

When the game changed from 40d (which had been stable for a long time) to 0.31 it just... broke. It just completely stopped functioning, and didn't start working again for months, maybe even a year or more. You're incorrect: There have been updates that added so many problems that the whole experience added up to one massive issue. That was probably also true of the shift from 2D to 3D, but I wasn't around for that.
I'm reading the logs for that now. Ah, yes, the era of melting rain...

EDIT: Oh dear, seems in that version one of the early bugs that needed addressing (after all the crashes and whatnot) was that dwarfs wouldn't stop working even to sleep. If you weren't careful a dwarf would literally work themselves to death.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 03:45:55 pm by LuuBluum »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 04:11:43 pm »

That's fair, I haven't been around for those versions so they weren't in my memory, this is just the first version for me where so many things feel wrong.
Granted, I think I would be laughing much more and not feeling exasperated if it was flesh-melting rain instead of struggles with the UI and finding out various functions are missing.
Pages: [1] 2