Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BUG: Ammo is broken  (Read 5965 times)

Krythorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BUG: Ammo is broken
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 06:57:25 pm »

Had the same issue here. But can confirm disbanding the squad and recreating it with a custom ranged uniform worked for me. I'd previously deleted the default uniforms so can also confirm it works even if such has been deleted.

I think it's assigning ammo automatically at squad creation only, not in any subsequent edits/uniform assigning.

I also can't find any way to control what ammo they use, so they're now using all the metal bolts on training.  >:(

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 07:31:14 pm »

Had the same issue here. But can confirm disbanding the squad and recreating it with a custom ranged uniform worked for me. I'd previously deleted the default uniforms so can also confirm it works even if such has been deleted.

I think it's assigning ammo automatically at squad creation only, not in any subsequent edits/uniform assigning.

I also can't find any way to control what ammo they use, so they're now using all the metal bolts on training.  >:(

Ah that's great to hear! Hmm I may need to retest some things then, not sure why my previous squad wouldn't equip bolts... Perhaps because it happened to be the squad directly under the militia commander?

EDIT: I think this part is exactly right based on some quick tests: "I think it's assigning ammo automatically at squad creation only"
Seems like as long as the uniform the squad was created with had crossbows (possibly other ranged weapons?), then you can re-assign different uniforms as much as you want and ammo will work.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:40:24 pm by Xen0n »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 08:32:39 pm »

Haven't tested any further solutions/workarounds, but as far as ammo selection is concerned, a slightly clunky but not too cumbersome fix would be to use the Stocks screen to forbid bolts not intended to be used at the time.

So metal bolts would be forbidden most of the time, only to be enabled (and wooden/bone ones forbidden) when combat is imminent.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2022, 12:07:04 am »

Hmm, thanks.  Yes disbanding and creating a new squad worked, they now have bolts and are in the archery range training. 

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2022, 05:10:36 pm »

Still running into wonkiness. Recreating the squad with a uniform which equips a crossbow from the get-go may be enabling bolt stocking and usage, but unfortunately my dwarves still don't seem to acknowledge wooden bolts.

So forbidding the iron bolts stops them from using them, but they'll ditch the archery range entirely because they still don't like wooden ones.

Tangential, but another military-related bug I noticed in the process is that dwarves won't properly use/respect storage placed in barracks: the soldiers will most often drop off stuff in regular stockpiles which accept weapons and armor, and civilians will pick up and relocate the stuff that somehow does end up in the barracks.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 08:05:27 am »

It always worked fine for me.

I made a lot of bolts before making the squad, chose archer uniform and gave them 2 coffins in ther barrack to store them.

I'm thinking other problems can be if the hunters grabbed your arrows before or if you don't have quivers enough? I made a shitload of bolts and quivers before, thinking that was the only way to make sure there was enough.

ALSO hunting can be set to "everybody does this." I'm thinking maybe some players have this setting without knowing it, so maybe the hunters grab all the arrows?

I've never seen them use the archery targets for practice though, they just do individual combat drills.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 10:38:23 am »

My guys are plunking away at the archery range next door to their barracks now. As in previous versions, it takes them a while to work up to it.

Using a custom uniform, first squad it was made with can't pick up bolts, but disband and create a squad based on the uniform and it works OK.

I really want to be able to set uniforms in advance before setting up any squads at all really like 47.05. That's always the first thing I do since it takes a while, recorded in a macro.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 10:40:06 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 11:17:23 am »

My guys are plunking away at the archery range next door to their barracks now. As in previous versions, it takes them a while to work up to it.

Using a custom uniform, first squad it was made with can't pick up bolts, but disband and create a squad based on the uniform and it works OK.

I really want to be able to set uniforms in advance before setting up any squads at all really like 47.05. That's always the first thing I do since it takes a while, recorded in a macro.

Do they use wooden bolts, though? If so, then the Archer uniform has some hidden property which can't be applied to custom uniforms, and therefore if you happen to have deleted it (like I did), you've stripped yourself of that capability.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 03:34:15 pm »

Great, I guess they'll do it eventually.

This reminds me Eugen Herrigel's Zen in the Art of Archery.

The book it about a guy getting taught zen-archery by a Zen master. So you spend the first year on stuff like training to breathe correctly while you pick up the bow. And after that you need to learn how to look at the target correctl. And it takes forever before you get to the point where you have enough knowledge to fire a shot.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 05:56:23 pm »

Do they use wooden bolts, though? If so, then the Archer uniform has some hidden property which can't be applied to custom uniforms, and therefore if you happen to have deleted it (like I did), you've stripped yourself of that capability.
I hadn't noticed. They're using wooden bolts right now as there are tons of them in the fortress, but then, I'm training, I don't wanna use metal so that's fine.
Are you saying the Archer uniform has metal bolts set for combat and wood set for training automatically in some hidden setting? (I don't think 47.05 had that as a preset, I always did it manually).

Heh, the one chap who grabbed a bow instead of a crossbow picked up bolts for his quiver. Damn. :)

--edit
Yeah, dwarves are picking up metal bolts too.
What is the functionality I've lost that Archer uniform offered?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 07:08:14 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2022, 11:56:42 am »

--edit

I think there's something about the Archer uniform that enables dwarves to use wooden bolts.

I deleted all default uniforms and now dwarves with my custom Marksdwarf uniform use bolts (as long as the squad was created with said crossbow-equipping uniform from the beginning) but never wooden ones.

I also want them to use wooden ones in training, and metal ones in combat, but the former appears to be impossible without the default Archer uniform.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2022, 05:32:31 pm »

--edit

I think there's something about the Archer uniform that enables dwarves to use wooden bolts.

I deleted all default uniforms and now dwarves with my custom Marksdwarf uniform use bolts (as long as the squad was created with said crossbow-equipping uniform from the beginning) but never wooden ones.

I also want them to use wooden ones in training, and metal ones in combat, but the former appears to be impossible without the default Archer uniform.
Wooden in training and metal in combat is a function that you could set in the old interface. But the default was to use both. Are you sure Archer uniform is enabling this?

As I said, my custom uniformed dwarves are currently using wooden bolts and metal bolts. (Not sure which they prioritise, I have hardly any metal bolts around right now).

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2022, 07:02:08 pm »

Wooden in training and metal in combat is a function that you could set in the old interface. But the default was to use both. Are you sure Archer uniform is enabling this?

As I said, my custom uniformed dwarves are currently using wooden bolts and metal bolts. (Not sure which they prioritise, I have hardly any metal bolts around right now).

Then the bug resides elsewhere. I have a ton of iron bolts and almost as many wooden bolts, but my custom uniformed marksdwarves will never use the latter for training even if I forbid the former (they just won't pick up ammo nor go to the range), and ammo customization is non-existent in the Steam version, for the time being.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2022, 05:41:55 pm »

Then the bug resides elsewhere. I have a ton of iron bolts and almost as many wooden bolts, but my custom uniformed marksdwarves will never use the latter for training even if I forbid the former (they just won't pick up ammo nor go to the range), and ammo customization is non-existent in the Steam version, for the time being.
Probably just prioritising the higher quality bolts.
Which do they prioritise in 47.05 when set to use all bolts?

Only bug remaining seems to be the missing Combat/Training bolt selection. Which hopefully will be added back in soon.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 02:36:57 pm »

Has anyone seen or figured out how to get visiting mercenary and/or monster hunter marksdwarves to refill on bolts?  I had one who was doing a great job at taking out some troglodytes, but once he ran out of ammo his non-ranged skills were poor and the AI didn't recognize that and kept attacking, so he died. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3