Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taverns and werebeasts  (Read 858 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Taverns and werebeasts
« on: December 08, 2022, 05:31:41 pm »

So I have come back to the game from being away from some years, and most of the changes are great. The new-to-me feature of having a tavern is really neat... until it interacts with the other new-to-me feature of werebeasts. When a werebeast attacks from the map edge, it is already one of the biggest threats in the game due to ambush, trap immune and infection, but it can be dealt with if you are very careful about controlling where civilians go. A werebeast tavern visitor however, seems basically impossible to defend against, since it "spawns" right next to your civilians (unless you do some weird burrow gimmick to keep dwarves from using your tavern) and cannot be stopped by traps or war dogs.
Are taverns at all viable without disabling werebeasts in worldgen?
I am honestly thinking of disabling them, because in addition to taverns being neat, its kind of depressing to have to check every dwarf after an attack and eliminate any injured.
Soaplent green is goblins!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Taverns and werebeasts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 05:39:24 pm »

Actually wait... migrants can also be werebeasts too. Are werebeast deaths just impossible to prevent then if you get bad luck?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 05:42:51 pm »

train a squad to legendary with steel gear

create a new burrow that is only your tavern

set the guards to guard that burrow

now they will just sit around the tavern in full-gear and can dodge practically any blow a werebeast throws.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 05:51:36 pm »

now they will just sit around the tavern in full-gear and can dodge practically any blow a werebeast throws.
So... you have to have an endgame military to not have a tavern be a death trap with werebeasts?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 05:55:45 pm »

I have a tavern, and it's not full of guards, but I do have doors on it. Werebeasts are so rare that I have only had one or two taverns locked to prevent carnage spread, but be prepared is my motto...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 06:12:05 pm »

So... you have to have an endgame military to not have a tavern be a death trap with werebeasts?

I think I average a year and a half to legendary if I have them train non-stop?

Legendary is just the overkill option dwarves don't have to be that good at fighting to kill a werebeast

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 07:11:43 pm »

1. you can turn off or modify werebeast attack ranges so as to avoid this problem.

2. most werebeasts I encounter do not appear mid tavern but map edge.

3. create a sacrificial visitor tavern so the damage is done to strangers and not useful citizens

4. your guards dont need steel armor, just iron weapons should do. but make sure there are a lot of them if you want them to react before the beast gets down to biting

5. quarantine every visitor

6. lever attached to lava pumps. werebeast turns? lock the doors. no one gets out.

7. Intentionally feed visitors to the werebeast for a large and impossible to control army of weres.

8. accept defeat and go play Roblox

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 07:48:34 pm »

Simply don't allow visitors to the tavern until you can defend it. That's what the restrictions option is for.
Werebeast visitors are extremely rare though.