Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Assembled Collection of Minor Issues with Steam Release + possible solutions.  (Read 7447 times)

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, wtf. Just told my off-duty militia commander who is a carpenter to go kill some giant thrips. He goes to the armour stockpile, drops his axe, and goes to attack them unarmoured and with no weapon. I don't remember military dwarves being so suicidal in the past.

Was he also a lumberjack? Lumberjacking and mining don't mix well with military service.

Whoops my bad, yes I meant to write lumberjack. And why not? Guy's already got an axe haha. Maybe I'm wrong but in the non steam version don't inactive military dwarves still try to remain equipped with their gear?

Edit: I think I've figured it out. If you look in schedule, 'off duty' (which is the default) specifies that squad members only carry equipment when given orders. 'Ready' specifies they keep equipment on them regularly instead.
I would suggest that this is a very bad default, for obvious reasons.

"Why not" is because woodcutting is coded as a military uniform, same as it's been for the last 12 years.

Still the current default of not keeping military equipment on is silly. If your dwarf goes on a kill or patrol order and he does manage to pick up some gear before being interrupted, he'll drop it outside as soon as the order is over if the squad is on "off duty" schedule.
And holy shit I can't believe that bug about the woodcutters is still there after 12 years.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The absence of the "export" command makes it a lot harder to regenerate new copies of extant worlds.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

The game seems to save all your seeds in \Dwarf Fortress\gamelog.txt, which might help as a workaround.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
  • dig dig dig in the deepy shadows
    • View Profile

I didn't check if someone already mentioned these but in case let me know and I will delete the one it was already reported:

- When you build a wall to close a cliff, leaving a tile between the wall and cliff, the dwarf will construct the wall in that tile, so at the end of the building wall the dwarf will remain blocked in that tile
- If you remove a stair outside (up and down) they will remain the bottom first, leaving the upper stair there, w/o any possibilities to reach it and remove it
- Dwarves doesnt prioritize the floor far external, they remove the one inside causing the fall of the tile more external at the cliff, because no more support is provides
- The ice make my well disappearing, this has no sense (disappeared means no stuff of the well was found after the ice took place of the well)

- (Suggestion) Priorities of work orders needs to be more fluid to handle, the arrows when you have a lot of work orders are very difficult to use it, maybe a sliding function or the possibilites to assign a number (in particular when you are creating a new order)
- (Suggestion) Better distinguishing night from day and when its raining, maybe adding some effects for raining and slide down the light during the night
- (Suggestion) Forcing the use of the wheelbarrow to move heavy objects, maybe the possibilities to add a range of weight to force citizens to use wheelbarrow to move stuff inside that range
- (Suggetion) Leaving zones visible while building (useful in my case while I was creating the Tomb)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 10:47:53 am by Jostino »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Day and night are not a thing at all in dwarf mode and, in fact, the day/night cycle would be 12 seconds total at default settings
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 09:36:47 am by Putnam »

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
  • dig dig dig in the deepy shadows
    • View Profile

Day and night are not a thing at all in dwarf mode and, in fact, the day/night cycle would be 12 seconds total at default settings
Thanks for your point, I edited that one.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-a way to quick select the next/previous dorf after clicking on one so you dont have to go back to the creature list over and over to look at several dorfs to check if i.e. any have any combat skill.

-make bolts work order creating 100 bolts instead of 25.... as you need an insane amount for archery practise. or make bolts not being destroyed in archery practise so they can be picked up again. and make them stack properly single bolts to 25 stacks if there are lots single bolts around.

-allow coffers in archery zones to store training ammo there.
-new menu in archery zones to select what material ammo they should use for practice (i.e. just wood, just copper... bone and tin etc)

-dwarfs in barracks will equip their normal weapon, but will also grab a training weapon of the same type (axe->training axe) and will use the training weapon for training instead of the actual one.
-training weapons for the other weaponskills that dont have training weapons yet.

-ability to favorite a material when constructing... (i.e. limestone blocks) so they are always listed at the top of the material list (and you dont have to look for it every time because the distance changes). i.e. a star icon you can click to favorite some.

-diplomat trade deal screen: ability to select "any" as material... if you dont care about what leather the backpacks you want them to bring are made out of.

-plants... maybe have somewhere a screen where you can read what plan is usefull for what... i.e. if you click dimple cups it would tell you that you can make dye out of them at workshop xyz...  or beer at workshop xyz... etc...  for all plants. its kinda similar to when you click on ore it tells you its a ore of copper and them infos there.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The game seems to save all your seeds in \Dwarf Fortress\gamelog.txt, which might help as a workaround.

It does, but if you've tweaked your worldgen settings since . . .

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use nearest for building materials shouldn't consider important items like metal bars. I don't want to accidentally build my trade depot out of my early bronze.
Game should remember a different setting for "Use closest" for furniture and buildings.

Hospital should be its own zone, I don't want animals congregating in it because I had to make it a meeting area.

Not really a gameplay thing but graphical FPS seems very low for a sprite based game. I have a 5700 xt but looking at a busy section of fort sometimes the game drops to like 15 FPS graphically, calculation FPS unaffected at 100. GPU utilization in task manager suggests 10% or less the whole time.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 08:24:26 pm by ayy1337 »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- would be nice if we could sort the citizen list by "migrant wave"... as often you can miss that migrants arrived (no pause/zoom at that event) and later you notice it in your popups on the left. but by then the migrants already swapped from "new arrival" to jobs and you have a hard time finding out who was new.
back with dwarf therapist it was way usefull that we could sort our dorf list by migrant wave.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

- would be nice if we could sort the citizen list by "migrant wave"... as often you can miss that migrants arrived (no pause/zoom at that event) and later you notice it in your popups on the left. but by then the migrants already swapped from "new arrival" to jobs and you have a hard time finding out who was new.
back with dwarf therapist it was way usefull that we could sort our dorf list by migrant wave.

I'm legitimately not sure what use this has, especially with the new system that shows you the units listed sorted by who is most skilled in the relevant labor for the work detail you're looking at.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

again, doesn't matter if you think there is a use, when there is definitely a use lol. no one can arbitrate someone else's interaction with a UI by simply declaring them incorrect

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

That's me asking for an explanation more than declaring someone else wrong. "Legitimately not sure about X" doesn't mean I don't think X exists, it just means I don't know about it.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm legitimately not sure what use this has, especially with the new system that shows you the units listed sorted by who is most skilled in the relevant labor for the work detail you're looking at.
Being able to quickly identify the dwarves whose skills you need to examine closely to see whether you want to put them in a squad or make them a miner because they have no useful skills. In a list of 200 you just have to guess, because you certainly can't remember all their names.

I don't think I'd be alone in habitually assigning labours and military posts to new dwarves every migrant wave that came through, something that is seemingly impossible to catch in real time now.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile

It's been a while since I played classic DF, and I may be getting mixed up with similar functions from similar games, but I'm sure there used to be a "Policies" section in DF. Stuff like at what level of degradation dwarves should be disposing of clothing, etc. Even if that wasn't there before, it would be a really nice addition to the Steam version.

As noted by others, a way to mass-designate deconstruction orders would be VERY welcome, as would adding back the keyboard shortcuts to assign materials to construction jobs en masse.

Once Finished Goods are stored in a bin, they no longer appear under their category when you look to move stuff to the trade depot (manifested as you KNOWING your dwarves have crafted a thousand earrings, but none appear for trade). This is highly irritating when I want to sell, for example, just rings or crowns, etc. As of now, I have to open bins and select each item I want to trade individually.

Similarly, a lack of list exclusion tools means I have to pour over massive lists of items to make sure I'm not trading away artifacts or items of a certain quality level.

In the Stocks screen, there's no way to tell what items are in use. In fact, I suspect that items that ARE in use don't appear in the Stocks screen at all.

Related, if I issue an order in the Manager saying build x of y if there are less than z, does this take in to account items that are in use by dwarves or not?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7