Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: things you really like about the new version!  (Read 5757 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
things you really like about the new version!
« on: December 07, 2022, 10:31:28 pm »

while I have issues or wahtever, I wanted to put down some of the things I really really enjoyed about the new release.

1. music (SO good HOT damn) is a perfect reinterpretation of the classic soundtrack. the addition of vocals is awesome

2. embark screen is way more intuitive and will lead to easier discovery of really interesting topography. As well, you can now embark on the edges of map tiles, whereas before you were limited to the grid. though I am sad you are limited to 6x6 embarks. No longer can we span gigantic fjords with megabridges. there is an option to increase to 16x16 (thx Flying Teasets!)

3. as the world generates, the most recent events are shown to you.

4. a majority of the most important features made it into the new GUI, even if you have to dig for them. annoying, but you can tell there was a lot of thought put into the translation of most elements.

5. construction pre-planning is really nice. even if you have to click the same material 100 times which is annoying. it still saves time. and I will not miss being the experience of becoming a 3-d printer of castles
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 11:10:08 am by Salmeuk »

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
Re: things you really like about the new version!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 10:40:01 pm »

2. embark screen is way more intuitive and will lead to easier discovery of really interesting topography. As well, you can now embark on the edges of map tiles, whereas before you were limited to the grid. though I am sad you are limited to 6x6 embarks. No longer can we span gigantic fjords with megabridges.
You can increase maximum embark size to 16x16 in game settings. Big embarks will cause lag if your computer is like mine.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 01:00:46 am »

I'm a big fan of the irritation system. My usual approach of clear-cutting the forest near the fortress entrance doesn't fly anymore, at least not without getting some hunters going first.

There's other things, but I haven't had a fort go long enough to work them out yet. Keep restarting due to being picky. As I do.

nanomagnetic

• Bay Watcher
  • cable * sprocket * chain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 03:24:28 am »

Multi-room designation is pretty nice. And I think you can pre-designate bedrooms now? Things are still a little clunky, but it's way fewer steps to snap out a hive or apartment complex

Ooh yeah, on embark skills are free, no more juggling the last few points between supplies and just one more skill point
Foldedlens -- 1004

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 08:03:58 am »

Things that I like so far:
  • World gen seems much faster.
  • The legends ticker during world gen.
  • 16 x 16 chunk boundaries when selecting embark site no longer a thing.
  • Werebeast / Titan etc attack thresholds being 2 numbers. This confused me at first when I saw those parameters having values from 1 to 5 in custom world gen - what did those numbers actually mean? But then I saw the second set of numbers in the settings once I'd started a game, and I realized what was going on. The world gen parameters only set the order in which attackers appear in a world - for example if in world gen you set werebeast population threshold to 2 and titan population threshold to 5, then werebeast attacks will occur earlier than titan attacks - and the actual thresholds can be set per game.
  • Also not tested yet, but it looks like you can change population caps without quitting and editing a file - the population caps appear in the settings menu that you see during a game.
  • More embark points to spend - the number might actually be the same, but skills no longer spend points from that pool.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 09:13:22 am »

The move away from rooms designated by furniture.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 04:45:42 pm »

It's been a while since I played classic DF, but I really like how easy it is to deal with squads now, as well as detaching burrows from the scheduling system.
And it's really nice having the ability to have the squad window permanently "pinned".

How does multi-room designation work BTW?
I've still been divvying up bedrooms one-by-one.

Sarai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 11:42:40 pm »

When you open up the menu to designate bedrooms, click the "Multi" button. it's grayed out, but that means the mode isn't active (it opens into single designation), not that it's unavailable. You can then place the designation overlapping a whole bunch of rooms and it will automatically break them up by the existing walls, making each one it's own bedroom!

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 03:40:32 am »

Labor system seems really promising, for as long as they make predefined labors editable and allow grouping of dwarves in addition to grouping of skills, so it would be possible to assign a bunch of jobs to entire groups of dwarves.

The way it is now, a properly configured Therapist offers a better labor system than the labor system, the only advantage of the latter being ability to auto-assign miscellaneous jobs to any new dwarves without player intervention, which actually saves a lot of time.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 06:26:29 am »

Honestly? Being able to see Z-levels below the current one. I tried DF before the steam release and that was a thing that always threw me off. And DF-hack's multilevel view never worked for me either.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 07:02:42 am »

Sal, you're always a fountain of good ideas. Love this thread. (By the way, since today, you no longer have to click a hundred times while building huge walls.)

Music slaps - Drink & Industry is on my workout playlist now, even.

Multi-designate furniture and multi-designate rooms is amazing. Less engaging than tapping out the same five keys 120 times, but so so so much faster.

Clicking statues and figurines to see their descriptions immediately is a very nice addition.

Doing anything while the game is unpaused. This is a complete game-changer for me, who plays small, pretty boring forts. Now I can read all about my dwarves and still have time tick along!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 10:15:20 am »

PTW
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 04:12:09 pm »

When you open up the menu to designate bedrooms, click the "Multi" button. it's grayed out, but that means the mode isn't active...

Oh thank you, I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

5. construction pre-planning is really nice.

Is this like planning mode in DFHack? Can you place things before you have the materials/objects?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2022, 06:20:37 pm »

Is this like planning mode in DFHack? Can you place things before you have the materials/objects?

Not yet, but you can designate constructions on unbuilt constructions. Toady mentioned being able to do that, but didn't want the risk of extra bugs for the Steam release.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:22:09 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022, 03:49:06 pm »

Ah, that's too bad, I was hoping I didn't figure it out yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3