Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: [Modding][Premium Dwarf Fortress][Steam Workshop](Done!) Raw Changes Superthread  (Read 22137 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile

just be aware that you cannot use Kitfox assets in released mods.

Where was this mentioned? Ive been searching DF files about this and there is no mention? Surely this is allowed as long as mods do not profit from it while using texture holders till unique textures are made? Even if this was the case, I dont think Kitfox cares for mods using them considering half the mods on Steam that use textures are using pallet swaps/retextures.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the devs didn't care about people using asserts from the premium pack they would have released them for free.. That said I suspect the warning here is mainly aimed at those who want to use them outside of steamworkshop

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile

If the devs didn't care about people using asserts from the premium pack they would have released them for free.. That said I suspect the warning here is mainly aimed at those who want to use them outside of steamworkshop

Well yeah obviously using the textures outside of DF shouldnt be allowed lol.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are two versions of DF, the paid premium and the free classic (released just now). The later doesn't include the premium texture pack.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Is there any explanation regarding the new CUT tags introduced in v50?

They simply remove the object from the loaded objects, not much more to it

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

Some stuff I don't see in the list:
  • CDI:VERBAL_SPEECH presumably also takes the new text object IDs (though the example is not updated)
  • ARCHITECT also affects BUILD_LABOR (the building token)

natemiddleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't understand how CUT_X is supposed to work. Nothing happens when I try any of the following. Help please.

[OBJECT:INORGANIC]
[CUT_INORGANIC:IRON]

[OBJECT:ITEM]
[CUT_ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
[CUT_ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_GREAT]
[CUT_ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]

[OBJECT:CREATURE]
[CUT_CREATURE:SHEEP]

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

I've used [CUT_CREATURE] with that syntax and it worked fine.  You say nothing happens, so you still get sheep in game despite putting that in a mod and enabling the mod during world generation?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

There any info available on the music tokens and how it works? Been wanting to try and make some music packs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I don't understand how CUT_X is supposed to work. Nothing happens when I try any of the following. Help please.

[OBJECT:INORGANIC]
[CUT_INORGANIC:IRON]

[OBJECT:ITEM]
[CUT_ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
[CUT_ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_GREAT]
[CUT_ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]

[OBJECT:CREATURE]
[CUT_CREATURE:SHEEP]

Likely the problem is your file format. Files containing inorganic entries or cutting inorganic entries must start with inorganic and must have their first line start with inorganic, same goes for every other kind of file.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Likely the problem is your file format. Files containing inorganic entries or cutting inorganic entries must start with inorganic and must have their first line start with inorganic, same goes for every other kind of file.
In other words only one [OBJECT:] tag can appear in any file?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

In other words only one [OBJECT:] tag can appear in any file?

Yeah, same as it ever was. This doesn't really go in this thread much, this is how the raws have been for 16 years at least, but then people always go to the latest forum posts to get info, so it's probably fine.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tonight I did a deep dive into how SELECT really functions, and what I need to know to use it properly. I came to two conclusions:
  • We need a tool that removes a tag/token that the game has already loaded from the vanilla raws. Something similar to how the [CV_REMOVE_TAG:] token works (e.g. [REMOVE_TAG:EDIBLE_COOKED] instead of cutting the entire dwarven wine segment out of the plump helmet raw, just to redefine it with a token edited out). Without this tool, mod incompatibility is going to swiftly become an issue. I've seen other games solve that issue by mod authors including something in their description that tells what is being changed so players know how to solve incompat problems. One little tool and we won't have to do that here!
  • The SELECT tool requires understanding of the hierarchy of how raws are recognized by the game's code. However, since knowing this hierarchy has never before been important when modding previous versions, there's nothing on the wiki that explains or defines it. We should start treating that hierarchy as important enough to make it very clear on the wiki for v50. I'd start doing this myself, but I don't know wiki markup or what this hierarchy actually looks like. Usually you can infer it from indentation, but I've seen examples where that falls apart.

Edit: All of this was wrong, but I'm glad I spent the time to learn about it, and talk about it here. I sure appreciate having a community to talk to about these things!  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 04:11:25 am by Bihlbo »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

@Bihlbo

1. Yeah generalized creature variations would be about what we need. They still have some weaknesses that warrant a suggestion thread (how do you edit a creature's attack? How do you edit the creature variations themselves, e.g. give all giant animals CRAZED), but relative to how they're used in the vanilla raws they can do a lot.

2. I'd wager Mr. Crabman and Ralpha know the most about this (other than Putnam maybe, if they've read the code) thanks to their markup efforts. SELECT perhaps works similar to COPY_TAGS_FROM, where the tags are added to the end, unless you use the GO_TO tokens.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile

Doe adding PERSONALITY tokens to animals work in 50.4?
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10