Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Premium] Some sort of overlay to see warm/damp rocks and other useful tile info  (Read 522 times)

Hexicube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm watching a playthrough right now where someone is using a tileset and I can see that warm rocks flash with the following: https://i.imgur.com/8SiZrFR.png
During all 4 lets play streams of premium plus the PAX preview I've not noticed anything like this, or any other similar info describing useful tile-based information as an overlay.

Overlays would be a concise way of showing quite a lot of information about the map area you're in, and would also avoid adding lots of extra artwork requirements to show the same thing "naturally" (artwork for warm and damp versions of everything sounds like insane amounts of work).

It would be nice if you could see the following:
  • Potentially hazardous rocks (warm/damp) - It seems like the only way to identify them in premium is to mouse-over
  • Potentially valuable rocks (gems/smeltables) - It looked hard to identify at a glance, especially in caverns
  • Rocks with open space either above or below them (ideally both at the same time) - Being able to look at multiple layers at once like this would help with mentally picturing things (at least for me)
  • User-specified filtering for the type of rock (e.g. magma-safe) - Would make finding some things by rapidly scrolling through layers very easy
  • User-specified grading for the type of rock (e.g. density) - Same as above, but for things that aren't a binary yes/no

Here's an example for a gem overlay based on the PAX preview video: https://i.imgur.com/XuAdBWR.png
I didn't realise just how many gems there were until I went through and added the overlay manually, unless I've marked some of those incorrectly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 03:25:38 pm by Hexicube »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm watching a playthrough right now where someone is using a tileset and I can see that warm rocks flash with the following: https://i.imgur.com/8SiZrFR.png
During all 4 lets play streams of premium plus the PAX preview I've not noticed anything like this, or any other similar info describing useful tile-based information as an overlay.

Overlays would be a concise way of showing quite a lot of information about the map area you're in, and would also avoid adding lots of extra artwork requirements to show the same thing "naturally" (artwork for warm and damp versions of everything sounds like insane amounts of work).

It would be nice if you could see the following:
  • Potentially hazardous rocks (warm/damp) - It seems like the only way to identify them in premium is to mouse-over
  • Potentially valuable rocks (gems/smeltables) - It looked hard to identify at a glance, especially in caverns
  • Rocks with open space either above or below them (ideally both at the same time) - Being able to look at multiple layers at once like this would help with mentally picturing things (at least for me)
  • User-specified filtering for the type of rock (i.e. magma-safe) - Would make finding some things by rapidly scrolling through layers very easy
  • User-specified grading for the type of rock (i.e. density) - Same as above, but for things that aren't a binary yes/no

Here's an example for a gem overlay based on the PAX preview video: https://i.imgur.com/XuAdBWR.png
I didn't realise just how many gems there were until I went through and added the overlay manually, unless I've marked some of those incorrectly.

Why only allow the user to filter by magma-safe status?  Why not other things as well?

Also, why only allow them to grade by density?

Otherwise, it’s a great suggestion. +1
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Hexicube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why only allow the user to filter by magma-safe status?  Why not other things as well?

"i.e." = "In Example", they were just the first thing that came to mind for each option.
Density, value, closeness to a particular shade of red when used for buildings, whatever.
If it has a comparable or yes/no value it should ideally have a filter/grade for it.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"i.e." = "In Example", they were just the first thing that came to mind for each option.
Density, value, closeness to a particular shade of red when used for buildings, whatever.
If it has a comparable or yes/no value it should ideally have a filter/grade for it.

That’s actually wrong.  “I.e” = “Id est” = “That is”.

You want “e.g.”. 

“E.g.” = “Examplia gratia” = “for example” (literally “free example”).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Hexicube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That’s actually wrong.  “I.e” = “Id est” = “That is”.

TIL, thought they both effectively meant the same thing.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile

i.e. = in other words
e.g. = for example
etc. = and other such items
et al = as well as some other individual people
Q.E.D. = that which was to be demonstrated
Q.E.F. = that which had to be done / it was inevitable
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:27:29 pm by SixOfSpades »
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

The premium release already has overlays for warm/damp rocks, not sure where the mouse-over thing is coming from.

Hexicube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The premium release already has overlays for warm/damp rocks, not sure where the mouse-over thing is coming from.

None of the premium footage showed the overlay. If it's already there then great, but it wasn't shown.
The mouse-over thing is because the name of whatever was moused over was shown, including the warm/damp qualifier for rocks...unless I've misremembered it.

Also, still would be nice to get the other ones I suggested.