Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Turbulence (SG) - Storm, Web, Casket  (Read 5474 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Turbulence (SG) - Storm, Web, Casket
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2022, 06:44:44 pm »

Fill forms while casually dodging attacks.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2022, 08:49:31 pm »

stand and fight
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2022, 05:23:56 pm »

Attacking the papers please guy will provoke an immune response, presumably directed at whoever set it off. Therefore, we dodge around the papers please guy and make our enemies attacks hit him, causing them to be the victim of its wrath and making it so we don't have to do any paperwork since the clerk is dead!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2022, 06:57:51 am »

+1
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2022, 06:23:06 am »

+1
Attacking the papers please guy will provoke an immune response, presumably directed at whoever set it off. Therefore, we dodge around the papers please guy and make our enemies attacks hit him, causing them to be the victim of its wrath and making it so we don't have to do any paperwork since the clerk is dead!

((Tiebreak via Stirk's vote as it would happen anyway as part of Egan's proposed action.))

((OP has been updated to explain how to read the rolls that will be shown in this post.))

Spoiler: Roll (Alex) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Roll (Ada) (click to show/hide)

The gorilla rushes forth and... keeps rushing forward, rather ineffectually you should add. As if you'd just stand there and fight them, no you've places to be, forms to fill, and with your thrusters flaring it turns out they can't really stop you. You sway out the way of a hurled chair and keep on zooming. You don't even need to face where you're going anyway - you can jet backwards while keeping watch on your vassal's struggles, and make no mistake it is a struggle.

It turns out the gorillas do have a way to ensnare fleeing quarries, just, not when they bolt as quick as you did. Multicolored smoke pours from their forms, absorbing into the nearby crowd and re-emitting. It ripples outwards as it does the crowd becomes that little more disordered, that little bit more substantial, that little bit ruder. Ada goes from moving through the crowd to moving against, pushing and getting pushed in return, jostled as she ducks another chair, diverted as she tries to keep pace with you.

Well that's problematic you think, doing absolutely nothing to help her.

"Papers please"

You press the censer's button and keep watching.

Your vassal steps out the way as a gorilla goes for a dropkick, crashing into one of the street-side carts. Pausing only to grab a fallen umbrella she continues sprinting towards you. However with how badly diverted her path was by this point two of other gorillas have managed to put their way between her and you. For convenience you decide to call them Gorillas 1 and 2. With the other two (3 and 4) hot on her heels a clash is inevitable. Frost spreads across the umbrella.

You push the clerk to the side, getting a better view.

Spoiler: Roll (Ada) (click to show/hide)

The tip of the umbrella cuts through the crowd and Ada charges through, the smoky figures reforming as she passes. She sways to the side as Gorilla 3 throws yet another chair, dodging the ballistic furniture only for Gorilla 1 to snatch it out of the air and swing. Ada dives out of the way but Gorilla 1 isn't giving up just yet, continuing their motion to set down the chair and kicking it forwards taking the girl's legs out from under her and sending her skidding seated with front row tickets to Gorilla 2's fist.

Ada topples her chair backwards with a squeek avoiding the punch before kicking the chair forwards, knocking out Gorilla 2's legs as it goes for its own kick. She rolling out the way as Gorilla 1 tries to deliver a sliding knee and springs up with the help of her umbrella. Gorilla 2 runs in for another swing and you see a flash of steel.

You didn't notice it the first time, she had fired it point blank back then, but now you realize that Ada's handgun doesn't use the same kind of rounds as the bandits. The bandits used bullets that, in broad strokes, worked similar to yours - metal go quick is very very hurty. Whatever Ada uses is a little more explosive. There's no overpenetration here, no metal tumbling out the other side, just a gaping exit wound blown through Gorilla 2's back.

The smoke rushes forth to close the wound and for a moment you think they might make it, but even as the gorilla moves its unraveling, falling apart. It loses cohesion and simply collapses. Maybe that shot blew out too much of its smoke?

Ada barrels past you, Gorilla 1 in hot pursuit, followed by Gorillas 3 and 4. Time for her to watch and learn.

Spoiler: Roll (Alex) (click to show/hide)

Gorilla 1 comes in with a wild haymaker. This time you don't dodge. You don't even fire, you simply give the clerk a little push and step to the side, putting them right between your chest and Gorilla 1's fist.

The gorilla steps to the side and just topples. It was coming in fast, too fast to stop gracefully.

So, it seems they're not as dumb as you thought. But you were right - if they hit the clerk they'll trigger an immune response too. That's why they stopped the punch. You had tested things out while your vassal kept the gorillas busy, nudging the clerk to see if they cared, moving on to larger pushes when you found out they didn't.

There's probably some limit, but it seems you can be swift as long as you're not forceful.

Gorilla 1's topple turns into a roll, the roll meets a boot, Ada's boot, blowing a chunk out of their chest and sending them skidding back towards you.

That kick was nothing special, these gorillas are just fragile it seems, might have something to do with their smoke-like nature. This one? It's not dead yet, its wound is closing up but on the ground like that right next to you? It's completely at your mercy even if it doesn't understand that.

Its companions charge towards you and out of the corner of your eye you see the light of another clerk, and from another direction four more gorillas.

By your measure the clerk next to you will let you go real soon, well before the new gorillas arrive. Once that happens though you'll need Ada to authenticate with them and while gorillas 5 through to 8 aren't coming from the same direction as the next clerk, they're on track to get in your way.

> [] Head for the next clerk, take Ada with you. It's slower but that clerk will soon be following her so you'll get to keep them as a shield
> [] Head for the new gorillas. You'll let the next clerk come to you at their own pace, these gorillas must be coming from somewhere and you're going to try and find out where
> [] Kill the gorillas. Best not let them pile up
> [] Eat Gorilla 1. It's called establishing dominance sweetie, look it up
> [] (Write in)
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2022, 04:10:52 pm »

Now that we have observed the clerk we must become the clerk. Ask the gorillas for their papers. If
They think we are a clerk they can’t hit us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2022, 04:27:40 pm »

Gobble it up!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2022, 04:34:04 pm »

Tear off a chunk and head for the source, eating as we go.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2022, 05:26:57 am »

EAT THAT GORILLA!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2022, 05:36:34 am »

[] Head for the next clerk, take Ada with you.
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2022, 07:49:35 am »

Gobble it up!
EAT THAT GORILLA!

((No roll. Gorilla 1 has no chance and the clerk makes it infeasible for Gorillas 3 and 4 to stop you in time.))

As you open your mouth you realize you haven't done it before. Not to speak, not to breath, and you realize you haven't been breathing either. Your maw splits open wide bathing your surroundings with an ominous orange glow.

"W-what are you doing?"

Establishing dominance.

It's not a bad bite by any means, the gorilla's not exactly sturdy either, but you get the feeling you're not going to be tearing chunks out of your enemies anytime soon. Not that you need to.

It flows. Not quite your tongue, not quite your saliva. No word exists to describe it but it is what resides in your mouth. An amorphous mass of molten metal. It does not burn so much as it dissolves its way through the smokeflesh and you find yourself not so much tearing at its flesh so much as simply funneling it into your maw, taking care to keep the clerk between you and its comrades.

More and more smoke dissolves, dissolves into your maw, dissolves into your body. Some of it, some fundamental part of it fades, fades to nothingness - its qi you realize. But the rest remains inside you and you're pretty sure you can release it too. From your mouth, from your vents, or into your magazines. You don't think shooting the gorillas with the remains of their comrade would help much, but the option's on the table now.

You eat maybe a quarter of it before the rest of its body collapses into smoke, shrouding both you and the clerk.

"Papers please"

The clerk turns towards Ada. That's odd, you're pretty sure it didn't finish vetting you?

Seeing their chance, Gorilla 3 and 4 rush at you from either side, multicolored smoke releasing from their bodies and stirring up the crowd once more.

You're confident you can deal with them before the other group can close in.

> [] Just shoot them. Whatever they are, they aren't bulletproof
> [] Dash away, then shoot them. Take the chance to see how much the crowd can impede you, if at all
> [] Delegate. Tell Ada to deal with them for you
> [] (Write in)
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2022, 02:09:41 pm »

Just shoot them.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2022, 03:27:42 pm »

Eat the clerk to gain the power of bureaucracy

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2022, 02:12:30 am »

Shoot em.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2022, 11:42:46 am »

My friends, energy isn't free.

I mean, it is, I guess, in a way, in that everything around you has it and you get to take it because you're better than them but it does come from somewhere. And reforming those bodies probably isn't cheap.

They mentioned a programmatic response.

This is an array. Probably.

Fighting the gorillas is foolish, and wasteful. We could likely just waste enough power that they can't regenerate anymore, but that is the way of the Saber, of the Axe, of the Hammer, to strike with brute force, to strike until by that force the enemy is laid low.

The lightning bolt only strikes once.

We are a cultivator. Sense the flow of Qi within the gorillas and find out where it's centered. Then shoot it. Failing that, shoot those gorillas in the goddamn head. Then sense the flow of Qi and determine where that -somewhere- is. Then shoot it.

Or, as a certain sect would put it, close your eyes and look.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:50:48 am by ragnarok97071 »
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7