Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to control where migrants enter the map?  (Read 1282 times)

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to control where migrants enter the map?
« on: October 12, 2022, 02:53:01 pm »

If you embark on a dangerous location migrants may be slaughtered trying to reach the entrance to your fort.  Is there a way to force them to enter at a particular (safe) location.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to control where migrants enter the map?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 01:35:50 pm »

You cannot control which edge of the map they arrive from and cannot block the edges, but you can pre-build some secondary entrances that you only unlock when migrants arrive.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 02:31:09 pm »

another trick is to designate a meeting zone on the surface where you want the migrants to gather, before you unseal your main gate. just remember to delete this zone if your main gate is to remain open - you don't want dwarves holding parties in some random field

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 09:09:35 am »

You cannot control which edge of the map they arrive from and cannot block the edges, but you can pre-build some secondary entrances that you only unlock when migrants arrive.

The problem with blocked secondary entrances is that a troll or other building destroyer can smash past the "lock" and gain entrance.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 02:33:32 pm »

From what I recall the last time I tested this..

You can build bridges, iirc, that block the edges.  If you retract them in the right direction, you can control which map edges are pathable, and as a result, make them only show up where you wish.
If the bridge trick no longer works, then you can just hack in / create walls of obsidian via various DFHack tools, if you're willing to use that.

The last time I tested this, I made an "animal grinder" arrangement whereby all arriving animals were subjected to many many many traps, to see how long arriving animal populations would be generated to test a pure-animal diet sustainability.  It's not indefinite.  8)
I blocked off all walls except a section of the north wall, and built a wide covered hallway leading to the grinder traps.  Every animal (even fliers) arrived exclusively there and immediately pathed through the traps.  voila.

Having said all that, it was prior to 0.47.05, so, YMMV.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 02:31:21 am »

The problem with blocked secondary entrances is that a troll or other building destroyer can smash past the "lock" and gain entrance.

To prevent this you can build the entrance such that it leads to a upward stairway or ramp, and block it from above with a locked hatch. Building destroyers cannot destroy a building above them, so hatches above ramps/stairs are effectively unbreakable. Will have to dig down two stories to the outside so you can dig that upward ramp to the fort, though. An aquifer and flat terrain can make this difficult.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 03:08:45 pm »

You can build bridges, iirc, that block the edges.  If you retract them in the right direction, you can control which map edges are pathable, and as a result, make them only show up where you wish.
If the bridge trick no longer works, then you can just hack in / create walls of obsidian via various DFHack tools, if you're willing to use that.
Edge attack with bridges (or casting obsidian) works, but only for merchant caravans. (Which is still great)

In 47.05, that does not work for migrants and diplomat (argh!). The eligible map edges are determined at embark, by checking pathing from the original position of the wagon. So, you can _kinda_ restrict where migrants appear by embarking on a map with a river that blocks pathing (a stream that you can walk over won't do it), and only the part of the map reachable from the wagon will spawn migrants and diplomats.

If you really care, the eligible tiles for migrants are a property of that tile that you can find and edit with dfhack manually on a tile-by-tile basis. I have done that a couple times, by switching the flags to only allow migrants from certain tiles, but IIRC, that also applies to invaders, so you're also funneling invasions in the same way.

For TRULY hostile environments, where the migrants can't survive the sprint to a central entrance, the best I've done is to build several mini bunkers with meeting areas that the migrants can run to, then airlocks and decontamination trenches to let them in.
Migrants and

PHLP_Neo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 03:25:01 pm »

Edge attack with bridges (or casting obsidian) works, but only for merchant caravans. (Which is still great)

In 47.05, that does not work for migrants and diplomat (argh!). The eligible map edges are determined at embark, by checking pathing from the original position of the wagon. So, you can _kinda_ restrict where migrants appear by embarking on a map with a river that blocks pathing (a stream that you can walk over won't do it), and only the part of the map reachable from the wagon will spawn migrants and diplomats.

If you really care, the eligible tiles for migrants are a property of that tile that you can find and edit with dfhack manually on a tile-by-tile basis. I have done that a couple times, by switching the flags to only allow migrants from certain tiles, but IIRC, that also applies to invaders, so you're also funneling invasions in the same way.

For TRULY hostile environments, where the migrants can't survive the sprint to a central entrance, the best I've done is to build several mini bunkers with meeting areas that the migrants can run to, then airlocks and decontamination trenches to let them in.
Migrants and
I am very interested in the eligible tile part because one side of my site is next to a cliff, and I am planning to remove all its ramps.

I don't want anyone, neither migrants nor invaders to approach from that side.

I tried probe command and tiletypes command from dfhack but I dont see anything resemble immigrant property.
Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution that works.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 11:56:41 am »

Caravans only enter the map where they have a path to the trade depot, so it seems likely migrants would have similar arrival restrictions but for meeting areas.  I set up some raised bridges leading to a 3 wide tunnel into the fort and all the wagons use that route.