Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 70

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 54178 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #660 on: May 23, 2023, 04:43:24 am »

Quote from: Vector
'Legislation medically detransitioning adults'

Wait, does that mean enforced medical procedures?? Because if so,  :o >:(

Or does it mean legislating for folks' rights to 'detransition'?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 23, 2023, 05:28:11 am »

I suspect it's enforced you aren't allowed hormones or hormone blockers even if you've already transitioned.

Don't think there's a lot they can do about undoing most genital surgeries. Phalloplasties are difficult enough without having had a vaginoplasty first, and the inverse is true (Although vaginoplasties are easier because it's much easier to remove tissue than add it). Breast implants can undo mastectomies though, not that the US government, let alone Republicans, would ever pay for them. If anything I expect the Reps would more likely demand you pay for it and then arrest you if you can't.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 23, 2023, 09:45:35 am »

Yes, it (thus far) means finding some way to fuck with peoples' hormone prescriptions. Thus far for adults, this generally consists of interfering with doctors, either banning them from prescribing necessary hormones for trans people or banning insurance from covering them, which is effectively the same thing when considering how poor most trans folks are. So you go to your doctor, and suddenly they can't supply you with the meds you need on a daily basis. Or you get a letter in the mail that's says they can't provide them any longer. This was the case for the person on my discord who lives in Florida, who has a couple months of old prescriptions which can be filled, then will be unable to get meds in Florida afterwards. She will be fleeing the state in a few months if all goes well; just as I fled from Texas a few months back, as they will likely do the same.

The results of this are frankly awful. It's hard to find a doc experienced with managing hormones as is; they're generally all full, so even going out of state, there's not much you can do about it.

Physically, the results of going off hormones is basically menopause combined with awful dysphoria. You know what's wrong, you know how to fix it, but are prevented from doing so, as the state has taken away your bodily autonomy. Real body horror shit.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 24, 2023, 06:45:11 am »

I wonder if Google decided to stop being evil.

Physically impossible.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 24, 2023, 07:57:38 am »

The thread title has made me realize that I am now the person who pronounces it "El Jibbitty"
I do too.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 24, 2023, 08:09:02 am »

I wonder if Google decided to stop being evil.

Physically impossible.
Well, it's somewhere in the realm of random probability causing every atom in the sea to randomly move upwards into the sky simultaneously.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 24, 2023, 08:53:49 am »

Ah, but still we have waves.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 24, 2023, 11:50:01 am »

And evaporation!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 26, 2023, 08:21:49 am »

A change in the rules in case anyone here is into cycle-racing in the UK.

(Though BC doesn't control all cycle-sport here, much as they like to make everyone think so. I know that at least one other governing body is in a position to quickly synchonise with BC/UCI rulings if it chooses to, quicker than it originally did to become permissive, but I'm not sure if it will tend to go back to dismissive again so automatically. It certainly ought to wait until the end of the season, though, even if the board thinks it must. And then there's time to go to the membership.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 26, 2023, 09:16:05 am »

Or, if a rogue cycling promoter wanted to make some real money, they'd go full-inclusion in defiance of the BC decision.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 26, 2023, 10:46:38 am »

I'm anti cycling races, such a dumb sport they all stay in peloton until the last straight, and for that everybody needs to be bothered with roads closed off? Sit them on stationary bikes, measure their times and tape their mouths shut! At least there will be some variation in the ranking that way.
let

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 26, 2023, 10:52:19 am »

Or, if a rogue cycling promoter wanted to make some real money, they'd go full-inclusion in defiance of the BC decision.
There is a reason such divide exist in competitive sports. An open sports events where everyone competes together means that biological female would be excluded from wining, as athletic performances clearly show that the best result female ever achieved in Olympics has been outperformed by hundreds and thousands of males tens of thousands of times.

With this in mind and current data suggesting that Trans female enjoy performance advantage, what you suggest would at best be fad, since most female (who already get payed less than males) would not choose to participate, and trans community is too small to sustain such events. So fad slogans on its own wouldn't pave the way forward but further research to figure out what fields are comparable or come up with different classifications that would be fair for everyone.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 26, 2023, 11:31:51 am »

There is a reason such divide exist in competitive sports. An open sports events where everyone competes together means that biological female would be excluded from wining,
Just factually untrue.  Individual women win against individual men all the time, despite professional women's sports receiving far less funding and thus training budget and general support.  It is harder to be a woman athlete, and less financially rewarding, yet they still sometimes outcompete... when they're allowed to.  This is actually why women's sports leagues were formed, because men couldn't handle occasionally losing to mere women.
as athletic performances clearly show that the best result female ever achieved in Olympics has been outperformed by hundreds and thousands of males tens of thousands of times.
The fallacy here is looking at record-setting individuals to make policy for general competition.  By this logic, it's unfair for US swimmers to compete against any other swimmers because Michael Phelps is just that good.
With this in mind and current data suggesting that Trans female enjoy performance advantage,
Citation needed.  Here's one that acknowledges some advantage:
https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-do-trans-athletes-have-an-advantage-in-elite-sport/a-58583988
Trans women usually have insignificant athletic advantage over cis women, if any, after enough time on HRT.  There's one exception: The data suggests a permanent 10% advantage in running speed, likely due to height/bone size (after male puberty, which conservatives are forcing on trans girls).

Does that 10% justify excluding trans people from all sports, or rather height categories for track and cross-country competitions?  Trick question: I don't think it justifies either.  There are countless factors which are more significant.

For other sports any advantage is even less detectable.  There are, in fact, physical advantages to being a woman.  This is presumably why, despite incredibly dishonest rhetoric, trans people are not dominating sports at any level.  If the propaganda was true then we'd be snatching up gold medals by now.  We're not.
what you suggest would at best be fad, since most female (who already get payed less than males) would not choose to participate, and trans community is too small to sustain such events. So fad slogans on its own wouldn't pave the way forward but further research to figure out what fields are comparable or come up with different classifications that would be fair for everyone.
The real issues facing women athletes in general are pretty important to me, as a feminist.  Professional sports is designed to be resistant to change, for better or for worse, and I don't have a magic bullet to fix the deep iniquities in it.

The issue certainly isn't trans people.  These "concerns" are nothing more than a cudgel used by paternalists to depict us as attacking their dainty weak women, which is all sorts of fucked up, and I'm sick to death of people peddling it.
I don't mean that personally, jipehog, as you're far from the only person who brings this issue up.  I'm just completely exhausted with it.  Which is EXACTLY its purpose.  It's FUD, meant to keep people playing defense and radicalize credulous moderates.

I'd say I'd rather talk about the situation in Florida, or the heaps of new bills being proposed in my home state of NC, but I don't want to do that either.  I just got home from three days of caring for my dad who, last night, opined that people who don't procreate are pointless and might as well die (and yeah, I'm fully out to him).  This weekend I plan to love my partner, play some mindless video games, and do my level best to stay away from any alcohol because I know I'll go on a bender if I get the chance.

so sick of this sports bullshit.  If people really care about sports then maybe THEY should fix them. I hate being expected to fix something I didn't break just because lying misogynists are accusing US of misogyny for trying to participate.

On the bright side I looked like crap a few days ago, after exercising (I'm sorry!!  I know that's extremely political of me!!) and I got correctly gendered to my complete surprise.  I really needed that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2023, 11:48:28 am »

Just factually untrue.  Individual women win against individual men all the time, despite professional women's sports receiving far less funding and thus training budget and general support.  It is harder to be a woman athlete, and less financially rewarding, yet they still sometimes outcompete... when they're allowed to.  This is actually why women's sports leagues were formed, because men couldn't handle occasionally losing to mere women

This is some serious reality-denying stuff. No. Women can't compete with men in almost all sports. They simply can't. I am really curious to see some examples of "the Individual women win against individual men all the time"

I do agree that after a few years of HRT advantage of transwomen is minor enough to allow meaningful competition and there are enough evidence of that (like scientific studies)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 11:51:47 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 26, 2023, 11:59:38 am »

Just factually untrue.  Individual women win against individual men all the time, despite professional women's sports receiving far less funding and thus training budget and general support.  It is harder to be a woman athlete, and less financially rewarding, yet they still sometimes outcompete... when they're allowed to.  This is actually why women's sports leagues were formed, because men couldn't handle occasionally losing to mere women

This is some serious reality-denying stuff. No. Women can't compete with men in almost all sports. They simply can't. I am really curious to see some examples of "the Individual women win against individual men all the time"

I do agree that after a few years of HRT advantage of transwomen is minor enough to allow meaningful competition and there are enough evidence of that (like scientific studies)
Ah, but the cycling rule that allowed trans athletes did in fact have testing and rules regarding hormone levels.
That is being Abandoned in favor of a "No Trans Allowed" rule.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 70