Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 42800 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2022, 07:29:31 am »

Johnson and Sunak apparently had a meeting, though in private, so let’s speculate wildly!

I don’t think Boris really has anything to offer, I think he’s bluffing that he has 100+ MPs supporting him in order to gain some sort of concession from Rishi by offering to stand aside. Allegedly the party membership (the people who would vote in a contest if there were more than one contender) favour Boris - WHY!? - so he’s wheeling and dealing to become part of the government or something.
Because he's Fun and A Bit Of A Character.

It's why he got so far despite being a proven repeated liar (Even if Laura Kuenssberg was somehow completely unable to find an example of him lying in the past) and repeatedly spaffing money up the wall on vanity projects.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2022, 07:41:35 am »

His unique way of running things - and sometimes chaotic approach to decision-making - has, sources tell me, led exasperated colleagues in No 10 to nickname him "Trolley".

"You think you are pushing it along a path towards your goal then suddenly it veers off disastrously," says one insider.

Best nickname

Love, scriver~

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2022, 02:45:25 pm »

I think the Tories favor Boris Johnson over Rishi Sunak because he's a non-ethnic white. It's obvious the party based on conservatism doesn't want an Indian-descended person to be Prime Minister of the UK. I don't know why anyone is surprised that they're clamoring for Boris Johnson back, out of all people.

lol

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2022, 03:33:35 pm »

I mean, his name is Johnson, that just radiates the sort of male energy that conservatives love.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2022, 03:41:18 pm »

Everyone's tired of BoJo. But maybe Alex de Pfeffel is the guy for the job.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2022, 03:42:16 pm »

Johnson said he’s not running, the coward.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2022, 03:46:28 pm »

He's probably cut a deal with Sunak, probably with the intent of being one of his cabinet ministers. I think the Tories are going to try and keep this from being an actual party election, the MPs will try to narrow down contenders to one before it ever reaches the membership.

Braverman is backing Sunak, stating that now is not the time for fantasies. This is the same person who blamed the shambles of the past month and a half on the 'tofu-eating wokerati' by the way, so I guess she's familiar with fantasy.

EDIT: Looks like Boris was falling far short of the required number of MPs to make his run viable, turns out the 100 backers figure floating around was a lie, the actual number was about 50. And Mordaunt wasn't willing to work with him rather than run for leader herself, so this sudden backing out is a face saving measure.

Some of the Tories have been flip flopping so fast that you could probably use them to run a generator. Nadhim Zahawi, Chancellor for two days before Boris resigned, which he pushed for, put out an article in the Telegraph backing Boris for leader again on the same day Boris announced he isn't running. Half an hour later, backing Sunak on Twitter.

I wouldn't trust these people to run a fucking bake sale and they're in charge of the damn country.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 05:20:49 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2022, 06:17:26 pm »

I wouldn't trust these people to run a fucking bake sale and they're in charge of the damn country.

For two more years.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2022, 07:43:15 pm »

I wonder how British-Indian and Indian people will react if Rishi Sunak becomes Prime Minister.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2022, 11:38:47 pm »

I wonder how British-Indian and Indian people will react if Rishi Sunak becomes Prime Minister.
They'll love him, for the most part.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2022, 09:35:56 am »

As a Winchester->Oxford->Banking->Tory Party candidate my Brindian friends are thrilled at how Rishi really understands the problems Indian investment bankers face in the UK. On the bright side Indian companies like Infosys should benefit from their gov contracts... Companies his wife holds significant interests in :o

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2022, 11:30:27 am »

Well this is a nice surprise, though I dunno anything about him. What is nice is seeing all the white racists get triggered that he is now PM of the conservative party lol. Granted, I dunno if the conservative party is like right or left wing or middle or whatever, but I just like seeing all the racists mad. I mean, I assume they lean right cause of the name and all, but europe parties are a bit weird cause I thought some were right wing based on the name but were actually left/middle lol. And even reading about them, it doesn't help sometimes what they are :( I'm just a dumb american who only understands our own parties lol.

I really thought it was gonna be Boris again, so at least its not him.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 11:38:48 am by The_Explorer »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2022, 11:41:33 am »

Yeah, I reckon a lot of British people going to be quite upset about having a brown man in charge.

Especially among the Conservative Party membership, so that's going to be interesting.
One wheel short of a wagon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2022, 01:04:45 pm »

IMO, best of a bad lot (well, I had a better candidate in mind in one of the early post-Boris contest departures, but still only as least-worst even then). He's got credibility. He's even been proven to be right about what happens when it isn't done his way (normally an unknown... it's not like you can play Fantasy Football League with a personal choice political policies) so it'll give him definite kudos amongst the kind of people not entirely "I'll vote for anything that looks like Boris, and only that!" or the "never (again?) voting Conservative" crowds.

I think there is a stability there, lacking in the last incumbant. But time will tell if he messes up differently. I see less chance of an imminent G.E. (unless he gets things going so well that he calls it early) so who knows where that leads us to in a possibly ramped up to be more sane representation like we really need.

The next obvious question is whether Scotland gets its referendum. (Not through the PM, of course.)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2022, 01:07:29 pm »

As the richest MP, Rishi Sunak is only a few hundred million short of being a billionaire, but perhaps his time in office will help with that.

I mean, I assume they lean right cause of the name and all, but europe parties are a bit weird cause I thought some were right wing based on the name but were actually left/middle lol.

They are right-wing in the British context, but maybe you'd consider them relatively moderate in the US context (because US politics, globally, is an outlier).

I'm looking forward to the Conservatives losing the next election, even if Starmer is a Tory-light melt.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39