Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread  (Read 12052 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2022, 05:13:40 pm »

*Card Name: Hypersummon
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Purple
Attack:0
Hearts:0
Stars: ?
Card Effect: Search your deck for a card with hearts and play it, it has a bonus to attack and hearts based on how many stars you spend.
Flavor Text:
Metadata: Search engine, boosted cards, increased power, star user.
Reference:

Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2022, 06:19:54 pm »

Just this one time, I'll allow FallacyofUrist to post just any picture for their card and I'll re-size it myself.
To get the game rolling again.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2022, 06:26:35 pm »

Right.

*Card Name: Thorn Ward
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Purple
Attack: 0
Hearts: 0
Stars: ?
Card Effect: Soullink this card to another card you control. (Cards soullinked together count as one card until they leave the field.) Once per opponent's turn, when the linked card would receive an instance of damage, you may return that damage to its source. If the source is a card without hearts, return it to the player of that card instead.
Flavor Text:
Metadata: Boosted cards, soullink
Reference:
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2022, 06:57:40 pm »

The Battle Phase is now beginning!

Refer to the second post of the Core Thread to see a list of regions and their effects. You now get to pick one as your preferred battlefield. Note that a region is not guaranteed to be a battlefield unless a player from both teams chooses it. If your region is not chosen you will instead play in a random one that was chosen by the opposing team. You will want to build your deck while considering the possibility that you might not fight on your favored terrain, such is the chaos of war!

As a reminder, you cannot pick a preferred region already picked by someone else on your team for this round.

You will also need to pick what cards you want to put in your 40 card deck!

... Yes, there has been quite a few nerfs. Trust me, the other team got nerfed too, and you'll be glad they did!
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2022, 07:09:08 pm »

Right. We still only have one zero-cost card that can gain us Stars, and until we get better engine we really can't afford to have much expensive stuff in our decks, looks like. My attempt at creating a defensive card gave us something decent in effect but the cost is really just out of easy reach, so I won't be including a lot of it in my deck I think.

Any suggestions? How do we play this?

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2022, 07:11:29 pm »

Thing is, our one zero cost star gain is really powerful with the right combo. I unfortunately discovered it mid game so they might have made a counter but if they didn't we can use Solo Star Power on a BFG in order to return a Summer Star Maiden to hand to power up our other stuff. It quickly accrues a lot of stars.  Other than that, stay cheap, focus on our ability to shut down enemy plays with our cards. Focus on building up enough stars to end things in a single cataclysmic blow.
My Power armor arms race

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2022, 07:22:40 pm »

So basically we build up a lot of fodder, use our limited star gain to power up, and then hope we can get out a Firebase or such? Seems difficult.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2022, 04:27:48 am »

Honestly so far my go to tactic has been 'punch them to death with minions' and the big stuff is entirely secondary of the 'when I can afford it'. I did finish them off with a Firebase in the second round, but even without it they were out of troops, and I wasn't, so I could have just kept stabbing them to death.

The damage when enters into play effect of the Wooly is great for maintaining tempo and finishing off anything that already took damage before combat proper starts, the Mystery Ghosts don't have reliable stats but they consistently have the maximum stat values a 0 star creature can normally get so whether they're a 2/3 or a 3/2 as is the normal, either way they're good at killing the enemy, the Big Friendly Ghost/Solo Star Power combo is what lets you yeat anything you don't like back into the enemy's hand, just remember to keep one face down for when they drop down a Gunner Girl or one of their corpse monsters or whatever, and if you don't have a Solo Star Power ready the BFG's still have an attack of two so they can generally trade evenly with most of what they'd be running into.

Like, they have two ways of getting extra troops out in a single turn that we've seen so far, both the warp crews that can teleport in when something gets banished and the ghost boat that lets them play a ghost with it when it gets played, and neither of those have been able to keep the BFG/Wooly/Mystery Ghost combination from just beating their face in.

And once you get even one star, between Maidens and (if needed) Meteor Storms it's really hard to keep you from getting any more, though last game I got out a firebase just from Solo Star Powers (because those let you flip the Big Friendly Ghosts face down for the purposes of tossing anything you don't like back into their hand).

Honestly, their decks have been suffering from devoting card space to both their refineries and their own star girls in my opinion. They've got some big scary stuff and the star power to put them out, granted, but the deck space spent on that is deck space spent on 0/3 units that can't attack in the refineries and their 1/2 Star Wish Waifu cards, and a Wooly can reliably do 3 damage from their enter play damage and then finish off the refinery next turn if that's both of your opening moves and trade favorably with the Star Wishers even without the ping damage, Mystery Ghosts have 3 attack half the time, and so on, so the Refineries tend to only give out one star often anyway so aren't much better then the Star Wish girls unless the enemy already has board control, and with deck space dedicated to both cheap sources of stars that can be hard for them to get as long as I've managed to keep the aggression up.

Stirk hit 10 stars in my first game, it just didn't do them any good...

---

On other stuff, looking at the new cards...

...It is a shame that the Clover Fairy's intention of 'remaining on the field to better feed the Solo Star Power' didn't survive, but hey, it's basically immortal, so that's still useful. Thorn Ward looks like it's going to be fun though. I can't personally envision playing Invader Guardians, it's just too expensive, but maybe with the Hypersummon it could be worth taking literally one of them for late game deployment? Stellar Bombardment is a good way to screw something in specific, and something like it back when Stirk had 10 stars in my first game and nothing to spend them on could have been, uh, really nasty. Hypersummon also looks like a good addition, something to spend stars on and let you sprinkle a one off or three into your deck and still reliably fetch them out once you've got the stars.

Arena wise, I'm thinking I might see if I can challenge for the Dragon Graveyard, but if someone else would prefer to take that I can switch off.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2022, 08:54:05 am »

Can say the Invader Guardians is a good boss monster. Expensive as all hell, but good if you get it out early.

That said next turn definitely getting the Spring Maiden out.

Also, was DGR suppose to make another card this deign phase? Or will we be making two next turn as a result of that?

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2022, 10:31:12 am »

I did make two, on that note.
Thorn ward is really good against Corpse pile/mountain of Corpses.

Meanwhile my two cards Stellar bombardment and Hypersummon. While both can be used as expensive cards to really lay the hurt on late game, due to their variable costs at lower levels they can be used for Removal and straight summoning of key cards that you fail to draw respectively.

So keep that in mind. Hypersummon is only 1 star more expensive than directly summoning something if you aren't buffing what you're summoning up as well.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 27, 2022, 10:48:35 am »

Our main issue remains startup, once we got a star we can just go full ham.

That said, not going to Valley of Kings yet, once Spring Maiden is made we can just cast Meteors all day, not counting anything else we get up to.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2022, 05:30:18 pm »

Supernerd: Does Hypersummon actually summon the searched card? It doesn't explicitly say that it does in the text.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2022, 05:36:13 pm »

Supernerd: Does Hypersummon actually summon the searched card? It doesn't explicitly say that it does in the text.

I have inspected the card, and identified a significant enough GM error to correct the card. The second post now has the correct version of the card that will actually play the card you searched for.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2022, 06:35:38 pm »

Alright.

The basic idea of this deck is to abuse the fact that Hypersummon can pump up the card it plays, and just try to build up enough stars to use it with like, 10 or whatever and turn an innocent Woolfy into a force strong enough to fight a Pacifist Waifu and win.

It's not final, though. Any suggestions for deck alterations before I submit my desired battleground?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2022, 07:38:16 pm »

I have inspected the card, and identified a significant enough GM error to correct the card. The second post now has the correct version of the card that will actually play the card you searched for.
Is it just me, or by the wording of that card mean that if I Hypersummon, say, a Solo Star Power for four stars in total, Solo Star Power would enter play as a 3/3 creature because it gains 3 hearts and 3 attack, and therefor stick around as a creature card?

It's not final, though. Any suggestions for deck alterations before I submit my desired battleground?
I'd say you should dump the Shining Dawn and Olden Plains Windmill cards, they're both legacies from the first turn that don't really work usefully due to lack of game experience and understanding of how the GM parses card creation. They should be replaced with more BFGs, Wooly cards, or some Mystery Ghosts probably. Also you have Meteor Shower down as a zero star card, but they're a 1 star card.

Also be aware that Clover Fairies might not be able to feed Meteor Showers' stargen effect, as that kicks in when a shower destroys a card and the fairies have an 'instead of being destroyed' effect.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 07:45:57 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23