Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Proc Gen Mafia 4 - Game Over - Scum Win  (Read 19375 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Proc Gen Mafia 4 - Day 1 Begins! - Dwarf Fortress? Elf Fortress more like!
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2022, 04:02:13 pm »

You’ve claimed your wincon is to be befriended by someone. Do you want to stick by that?

PPE: looks like a yes.

So… I’d rather not eliminate someone before all the players have had a chance to post.

I’m… for some reason I’m willing to give Tric the benefit of the doubt here? That he would make a mistake like this, I mean. This may be due in part to his claimed magnet though. He could be eliminated during the night, meaning we don’t waste a lynch on him, and town are guaranteed to not be killed N1.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2022, 04:03:33 pm »

Obviously this requires Tric to play against their wincon though, and use an ability to help another faction. Plus relying on an unaligned faction to help town.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2022, 04:21:49 pm »

At the moment my magnet is the only way to get hit by Toony's conversion effect. Or get befriended if someone wants to do that. Not sure how resolution would work, but if you don't launch me I'll use my attract tonight. If Toony converts me to town, then my wincon becomes towns. If I get befriended, I end up leaving the game. Either way, not much else I can do given my gambit ran into hard facts I didn't know.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2022, 04:28:03 pm »

Hm. Even if Tric is a genuine Friendster, and not a sneaky mafia or SK, town's goals and his own may not align.

Toony's role may give us a way around that... provided we trust Toony. I don't like open coordination, but this might be a special case.

Interested in what other people have to say here.
One wheel short of a wagon

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2022, 04:33:33 pm »

I don't like this plan.

To make a long story short, following it makes n1 a wash for everyone else, since nobody can get any information that ISN'T about Tric, and it still probably ends in his death unless the mafia can either get around it or inexplicably decide not to kill him. Is essentially wasting a night just for that worth it? To me, the answer is obviously no.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2022, 04:55:37 pm »

I’ll get information that isn’t about Tric.

Regardless, we’d be losing someone who isn’t town that would leave the game if they got their wincon anyway, effectively wasting a night for scum, and not hurting town that much.

For srs though, the day game is more important than the night game. The longer we can avoid the game devolving into “I did this and you did that and someone else blocked them” a la the most recent begBYOR the better, but that’s just me.

The main issue I have with it is the aforementioned: Tric doing things he knows will probably result in his loss, and town relying on him doing that.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2022, 05:51:36 pm »

Ok, this has nothing to do with the matter at hand, but either I have full on pareidolia or there is something weird happening between FoU and Hector. I may just be spinning my wheels because the Tric thing wasn't that interesting.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toony, you remember Web trying to secretly communicate with you as a mafia-ally. Does this look anything like that?
One wheel short of a wagon

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2022, 06:05:39 pm »

Sorry for not posting, My mafia finding strategy is mostly a combination of gut instinct and noticing when people are acting strange, or unusual.

My role is useless other then proving my innocence to other players, so, I’m kinda a non factor. I’m not of high importance, unless having a confirmed townie is awesome

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2022, 06:11:46 pm »

I… would not see that, let’s be honest. Equally so, that reference to the game has strong parallels to this one, in that FoU claimed to be a benevolent TP and I was less than inclined to believe a non-town aligned player would be a benefit to town, and was proven post-game to be right.

Though I was also worried what happened in that game would happen here, in that my paranoia regarding the TP would blind me from everything else. That is no longer an issue.

The Tric thing was the most interesting thing, right up to the point it wasn’t.

Anyway, in this scenario, which of FoU or I is scum and which is the ally? Looks to me you favour FoU as ally, given he’s the one “dropping clues” that only Sherlock would see?

Come at me, brah :p

I mean you seem hyper-focused on this mafia and mafia ally thing. Why are we to think you’re not telegraphing that you’re the ally to your scum team?

PPE: confirmed townies are good.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2022, 06:27:41 pm »

TricMagic.
No. Maybe instead vote Jim for being evil and lazy?

It’s this kind of thing that makes Max hard to read for me. They know Tric puts a lot of stock in their role, to the point of that sometimes overriding their alignment (webadict’s game in which Tric was town and had their role modified by collecting hats, in which collecting these hats was all Tric was interested in) so I don’t know how they think Tric’s claim is so unbelievable.
Of course I know that Tric is "MY ROLE MY ROLE MY SPECIAL ROLE". But he's shown this capacity to lie before, and I tend to find it suspicious when he comes out in the first couple of posts with something overly convenient. It seems like town Tric usually likes to string you along a little first, like he did with the fairy godfather ability. That said, I guess Tric isn't claiming to be town, here, so maybe I'm just not as familiar with "third-party Tric" and confusing it with "lying Tric".
Tric isn't lying. He is third-party and wins if befriended (though this becomes moot if I town-ify them).

Arguing otherwise is dumb. If Tric chooses to use their magnet ability and soaks the mafiakill, then great, but if they decide not to do that I still have a random chance of converting them to town or possibly even some malicious other third-parties that would choose to stay quiet instead, like NJW keeps going MAFIA-ALLY MAFIA-ALLY MAFIA-ALLY. I could also get rid of those, randomly. It's great.

At the moment my magnet is the only way to get hit by Toony's conversion effect. Or get befriended if someone wants to do that. Not sure how resolution would work, but if you don't launch me I'll use my attract tonight. If Toony converts me to town, then my wincon becomes towns. If I get befriended, I end up leaving the game. Either way, not much else I can do given my gambit ran into hard facts I didn't know.
It's up to you whether you think it's worth doing. I will be trying to convert someone tonight either way.

Ok, this has nothing to do with the matter at hand, but either I have full on pareidolia or there is something weird happening between FoU and Hector. I may just be spinning my wheels because the Tric thing wasn't that interesting.

Toony, you remember Web trying to secretly communicate with you as a mafia-ally. Does this look anything like that?
I'll be honest. I was going to joke about you being crazy paranoid and shit, but the way FoU made that post is incredibly odd. The only problem is that mafia-ally aren't told who the mafia are, right? So FoU replying to Hector here isn't a strong connection.

My role is useless other then proving my innocence to other players, so, I’m kinda a non factor. I’m not of high importance, unless having a confirmed townie is awesome
Confirmed townie doesn't sound very shit to me Knightwing.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2022, 06:32:09 pm »

Sorry for not posting, My mafia finding strategy is mostly a combination of gut instinct and noticing when people are acting strange, or unusual.

This confirms my suspicion. Knightwing is town.

Okay, okay, I know I was wrong the last time, but that's because he was less engaged than usual while still town. I don't think the REVERSE has stopped being true.

(And by the way, having a confirmed townie is always awesome. I mean, unless it's someone who's really bad, I guess. But I think you'll do fine.)

NJW, I think that's too much of a stretch. If you think Fallacy or hector might be scum, I could buy it, and we can test that, but I do not think that ten-four thing is real. I don't even think Fallacy can BE that subtle.

Toony posted. Not going to quote it. Short response to my part: I didn't really think Tric was lying, I just got a weird feeling from it. You're kind of reading too much certainty into my position here. I thought I was pretty clear that it was only a vague impression, originally. I also don't really know that I even still have it after later posts. I don't have any interest in lynching him right now ANYWAY, as I said a few times. So you really don't need to keep telling me that. :P

What I DO agree with on that post, though, is lynching Jim for being evil and lazy. He's one of several people I have mentally listed as "lynch if too quiet d1".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2022, 06:36:59 pm »

Anyway, in this scenario, which of FoU or I is scum and which is the ally? Looks to me you favour FoU as ally, given he’s the one “dropping clues” that only Sherlock would see?

I mean you seem hyper-focused on this mafia and mafia ally thing. Why are we to think you’re not telegraphing that you’re the ally to your scum team?
I wouldn't be surprised if this setup of 8 players was 1 mafia, 1 mafia-ally, and our friendly neighbor Tric. That leave 5 town, I think that's possible.

I think your reaction to dismiss the possibility of FoU behaving odd is weird, I believe they are posting odd there.

I also think you're being a bit overly defensive here, but that could still be town behavior.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2022, 06:39:27 pm »

TricMagic.
No. Maybe instead vote Jim for being evil and lazy?

It’s this kind of thing that makes Max hard to read for me. They know Tric puts a lot of stock in their role, to the point of that sometimes overriding their alignment (webadict’s game in which Tric was town and had their role modified by collecting hats, in which collecting these hats was all Tric was interested in) so I don’t know how they think Tric’s claim is so unbelievable.
Of course I know that Tric is "MY ROLE MY ROLE MY SPECIAL ROLE". But he's shown this capacity to lie before, and I tend to find it suspicious when he comes out in the first couple of posts with something overly convenient. It seems like town Tric usually likes to string you along a little first, like he did with the fairy godfather ability. That said, I guess Tric isn't claiming to be town, here, so maybe I'm just not as familiar with "third-party Tric" and confusing it with "lying Tric".
Tric isn't lying. He is third-party and wins if befriended (though this becomes moot if I town-ify them).

Arguing otherwise is dumb. If Tric chooses to use their magnet ability and soaks the mafiakill, then great, but if they decide not to do that I still have a random chance of converting them to town or possibly even some malicious other third-parties that would choose to stay quiet instead, like NJW keeps going MAFIA-ALLY MAFIA-ALLY MAFIA-ALLY. I could also get rid of those, randomly. It's great.

It's up to you whether you think it's worth doing. I will be trying to convert someone tonight either way.

I'll be honest. I was going to joke about you being crazy paranoid and shit, but the way FoU made that post is incredibly odd. The only problem is that mafia-ally aren't told who the mafia are, right? So FoU replying to Hector here isn't a strong connection.

Confirmed townie doesn't sound very shit to me Knightwing.

If I can’t blow shit up and brag about it, I’m dissatisfied.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2022, 06:44:56 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if this setup of 8 players was 1 mafia, 1 mafia-ally, and our friendly neighbor Tric. That leave 5 town, I think that's possible.

I think your reaction to dismiss the possibility of FoU behaving odd is weird, I believe they are posting odd there.

I also think you're being a bit overly defensive here, but that could still be town behavior.

He’s been pussyfooting around it since day start and the Tric thing has already petered out. We don’t get anywhere with subtlety.

What about the FoU thing is odd though? I might not be seeing anything due to being quite distracted this day, but it didn’t raise any red flags.

Speaking of distractions though, tomorrow (Tuesday) I may be around less due to a family outing.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26