Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Lich King: Stone and Bone (SG)  (Read 9835 times)

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Lich King (SG)
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 06:15:43 pm »

Given that this is loosely based on Godbound it's probably a good idea to link to the free edition so people can get an idea of what the Words mean.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/185959/Godbound-A-Game-of-Divine-Heroes-Free-Edition
You might want to include a word with any suggestions. For example Glass' one is based off of Artifice.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 06:25:10 pm »

You might want to include a word with any suggestions. For example Glass' one is based off of Artifice.
My suggestions are intentionally Taster's Choice. C2m is the GM here, so it should be his responsibility to make it work!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 06:27:10 pm »

I ain't gonna download no RPG book for a SG. If there's no truth word that seems strange cuz truth is awesome but there's probably something else appropriate the GM can pick out.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 06:28:54 pm »

(angling for something like a word of Truth but I don't actually know Godbound rules. everyone else actually being dead is also good.)

No worries! No need to know any rules.

The main character will end up with three Words, which describe the domain of their powers. So far our character has 1 Word, which is Lich King. There is a list of words available, but we can definitely make other words work.

Truth can make a good word for sure.

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 06:31:15 pm »

I ain't gonna download no RPG book for a SG. If there's no truth word that seems strange cuz truth is awesome but there's probably something else appropriate the GM can pick out.
There isn't, but it also explicitly allows for the GM to make up custom words. The closest vanilla word is "Sun", weirdly, but "Knowledge" and "Time" are also truthily-oriented. And of course, with "Deception" you get to build your own truth!

ETA: The "Time" word is really great, by the way. It has this power:
Code: [Select]
Prophetic Insight
On Turn
Commit Effort for the day. Make a prophecy about a particular event
involving a person present. It will come to pass if it is not completely
improbable. If it directly involves an unwilling worthy foe, they can
make a Spirit save to disrupt the effect. Events that immediately
involve more than a hundred people cannot be so ordained, nor can
a person’s inevitable death or great ruin be foretold unless they count
as a lesser foe. Even then, they are allowed a Spirit saving throw.
Every day, you can simply declare what you want to happen to the limit of your effort pool, which is at least your level plus one. The limitations are pretty lax in practice if you're not trying to use it in direct combat.

It's not the only extremely powerful word, but I really like it. I would also add that the powers of the "Artifice" word kind of conflict with the story here, since "Artifice" is mostly designed to obviate anyone else's manual labor completely, so we'd be putting the zombies out of work by taking it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 06:44:49 pm by Maximum Spin »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 07:17:24 pm »

I would also add that the powers of the "Artifice" word kind of conflict with the story here, since "Artifice" is mostly designed to obviate anyone else's manual labor completely, so we'd be putting the zombies out of work by taking it.
Perfectly fair! I just thought of the techno-zombie approach and decided to make it an option for people (without, I’ll note, actually voting for it), but I see how it would conflict with stuff.

I think the extended Words list from the supplement has a Science word that might be more of a “small-scale supertech” stuff, though? That might also fit without breaking what we’ve established.
EDIT: It’s Engineering, and no, it doesn’t lose the problem, at least from a cursory look. Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 07:58:32 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 08:15:29 pm »

Laying out some more traditional Lich choices here.

-Sorcery: This word represents a deep understanding of magic and the fundamental power underlying vacation. Lesser magics can be mastered within weeks, and deeper magics that few can imagine lie within your grasp.

-Death: As a Lich King, you have a special relationship with death, but by choosing this word you become a master of the cycle. Death can be quickened or even reversed in those around you by your will.

But if you want to be somewhat different:

-Time: With the word of Time, one can alter the past and the future. As a Lich King, you will stand outside the stream of time, able to meddle and interfere to bend events to your own end.

-Truth: Pure, absolute Truth is the essence of your being. Lies and deceptions crumble in your presence, as you discern and can even fix the truth of a person or thing.  (My current take, but you can adjust or modify as you like!)

-Entropy: Everything decays, except for you. Entropy grants you the power over the natural process of dissolution, the inevitable increase of entropy throughout the worlds. To you is granted the ability to not only destroy, but also preserve in absolute stasis.

There are many other words which you can choose (such as Artifice!), but for this word consider how it was used to create your Lichdom.

There will be another choice for a third word in the next few updates to complete your “domain”, so just keep that in mind for this vote!

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 08:37:12 pm »

E - we discovered that we were always dead, and just hadn't realized. (truth?)
+1 I do find this one funny

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2022, 10:58:18 pm »

That's fair. But since it's free I thought I'd link it for anyone who was interested.

Of the book Words I'd say sorcery. but the idea of a truth lich is kind of fun.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Lich King: Beginnings (SG)
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2022, 11:12:18 pm »

E- You studied the nature of reality in such depth that you eventually arrived at the ultimate Truth of all things, the perception of which instantly and simultaneously struck you dead and inscribed your self into the Truth, leaving you at once dead and deathless. (Truth)

I like the Truth idea. It seems neat. Here’s a thing that leads to it that’s more Lich-y than “yeah I realized I was dead this whole time” (no offense to Egan).

EDIT: Also hi we have a Discord!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 11:14:23 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 11:15:46 pm »

E- You studied the nature of reality in such depth that you eventually arrived at the ultimate Truth of all things, the perception of which instantly and simultaneously struck you dead and inscribed your self into the Truth, leaving you at once dead and deathless. (Truth)
+1

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2022, 01:39:08 am »

E - we discovered that we were always dead, and just hadn't realized. (truth?)
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2022, 02:48:27 am »

We refused to die in the path of vengeance, and once delivered found we had gone past it altogether. (Rage Word)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2022, 09:33:58 am »

Even as a boy you pursued The Truth. Your parents taught you all about the world around you, but they couldn’t explain everything. The priests told you of the gods, and you thought that was truth, but wandering clerics told you another tale, equally true.

You always had this obsession inside of you, to find out the answer. You thought of the Truth as like a crystal, perfect with many facets. Perhaps you could comprend it all if you just dug deep enough.

Through rites fair and foul you ascended higher and higher in your understanding, climbing the peak towards the Truth.

By taking yourself to the brink of death and a ritual spiriting your soul to another plane, you saw it, the Truth.

It was broken. A million million swirling screaming facets of Truth, tumbling all together in a storm of uncertainty.

The Truth was broken. The Truth was wrong.

Desperate you flung yourself into the storm. The ritual began to drag you back into your body, but you were impaled by Truth all the same, killing you at the same time you came back alive.

The Truth is, you are dead. Always have been, in some sense. In all other Truths you are dead, blotted out for your hubris. Yet you, in some sense, are Truth and the Truth cannot die.

Perhaps this was your fate, to see Truth shattered and broken into a million different truths, to be embedded with a very shard of it. Maybe you always had it, past present and future all melded together.

You do know one thing though. You will return to Truth one day, and you shall force all the millions and millions of shards from the sky and return them to their rightful place.

You will restore the Truth.

Gain the Truth Word. You may always sense when the truth is spoken around you.
(There are other benefits as well, to be clear. We just need to come up with them!)

Falia clears her throat. You cock your head at her.

“Sir Magnimian, I would make a request of you.” She begins to say, a slight flush coming to her cheeks.

You wait to hear more.

“There is a traveling friar, going from village to village and rabble rousing. He looks for witches and those he declares are corrupt. I imagine he would take a rather dim view of the arrangement we are making here.”

Interesting, that the priestess would draw this friar to your attention.

“And you would like me to . . . talk with this person?”

She slowly nods her head, looking somewhat pained. You imagine that it might be morally difficult to send a Lich to someone’s doorstep.

“Like I said, he rounds “corrupt” people up, without caring so much if they are innocent. He, he took my niece. Said she was the sort to consort with witches.” Falia wrings her hands and avoids looking at you.

“She's a sweet girl. I don’t think she would get involved in any dark business, and she’s not the type to hurt anyone! Her name is Peria, would you please send her home to her mom at Colver’s Edge, if you talk with the Friar? She doesn’t deserve whatever fate Friar Gerus has in store for her,” Falia pleads. You can sense the truth, as she understands it, in her words.

You slowly stand to your feet and -

A- Accept her quest.  This Friar sounds like a troublemaker.

B- Refuse. Not your business getting involved in theological disputes.

You leave the village of Sander’s Vale and return to your Tower to make preparations, rather pleased with yourself overall on the negotiations. Sure, you don’t gain much right now, but good relations with your neighbors take time and the rewards will roll in. You make your steady way to your tower in the-

The Mountains: While the overall region is mountainous and hilly, your tower is on the slope of the mountain. Fantastic for rituals and for your defenses, it will make it somewhat harder to expand economically.

The Deep Forest Deep in the old wood lays your tower. Lots of timber and space available to expand, though the spirits of the forest may take issue with you.

Lakeside Bordering a lake nestled in the mountains, you get access to lots of water and a river. Downside is lots of people know about the lake and the creepy tower looming over it.

Something else? Examples like in a cave, middle of a lake, built into a cliff etc.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2022, 09:51:05 am »

A

A pocket dimension
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16