Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Lich King: Stone and Bone (SG)  (Read 9820 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lich King: Stone and Bone (SG)
« on: July 27, 2022, 09:47:18 pm »

You are a Lich King, one who tore the wheel of life and death and made it a tower for your ambitions. You are dead and yet alive, cursed to wander the world and feel not the wind tousling your hair or the bite into a crisp apple. Either through your will or unlucky circumstance you find yourself a lord of the dark and the evil. Enemies will come for you, rivals to steal your power and the virtuous set to right the world of wrongs. You must find the strength and the cunning to deal with these foes, else you return to ash and dust.

What you do with this power, dark though it may be, is of course up to you.

The initial negotiations were not going as smoothly as you had hoped.

“So you’re saying that you’ll use. . . the undead as labor for our farms and fields?” Headman Habber asked, confusion evident in his eyes. His rough hand kneaded at the back of his neck, dirt caked into the creases of his skin.

“Exactly so! Being tireless and uncaring of their labor, they would make excellent workers.” You explain.

“Well, on top of being rather dark, one might say, what. . . what exactly would we do then, if these skeletons are plowing our fields?” Habber grabs another sack of grain and hoists it onto his wagon as he asks his question. The ox looks at you woefully.

“Well, whatever you want, really. You could use the time to pursue your own interests, or I could always use more skilled hands at the tower-”

Habber tuts at you, barely breaking his stride of heaving another sack of grain in.. “Relocation and job retraining? Folks around here won’t be too crazy for all that.”

“I wouldn’t be forcing them to move to the tower,” you sputter. “ I assure you, I just want to help the people of this village live more fulfilled and vibrant lives.”

You can almost hear Habber roll his eyes at that one.

“Okay, sure. What’s the catch though? Aside from working with some sort of necromancer and being surrounded by walking corpses. What do you get out of all this? And just who do you think you are?” Habber challenges, facing you and crossing his arms.

You shrug your shoulders and tell him:

A-Just a Material Interest: You want a portion of the resources produced by the village. Being a lich, you don’t exactly require their foodstuffs, but you can begin to amass a stockpile for trade or hosting the living at your tower.

B-... And Your Bodies: Only when they die, of course! No need for a rush, just an assurance that when the villagers die, their bodies won’t be consecrated or burned. It's not like they are using them by that point! (Includes Option A)

C-... And Your Souls: Explain that as their local Lich King, their souls would be in much better keeping with you! Their God of Light has so many followers, they don’t care about the little guys anymore. You can give their prayers and pleas all of your attention, giving them the top notch service they can’t get from the big gods. (Includes Option A and B)

D- There is No Catch! Nope, no evil plot here. You just want to help out your neighbors!

E. Or Something Else?

And of course, you inform Habber of your name.
Name:?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:44:43 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Lich King (SG)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 09:47:57 pm »

Spoiler: Tower Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth Changes V2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 11:22:15 am by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 10:01:32 pm »

C
Name: Magnimian the Unholy

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 10:30:49 pm »

E- Skilled labour.
While undead are tireless workers they are sadly lacking in creativity. By freeing the villagers from the need to engage in brute labour those who are interested can spend time on more skilled endeavours such as blacksmithing, carpentry, or even music and art. Eternity gets boring without new things.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:33:16 pm by Sudurandom »

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 10:48:09 pm »

E- Skilled labour.
While undead are tireless workers they are sadly lacking in creativity. By freeing the villagers from the need to engage in brute labour those who are interested can spend time on more skilled endeavours such as blacksmithing, carpentry, or even music and art. Eternity gets boring without new things.
+1

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 10:51:19 pm »

E- Skilled labour.
+1
+2
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 12:35:32 am »

Name: "Option A"

D, No Catch. It is the duty of the powerful to assist others how we can!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 12:53:07 am »

E- Skilled labour.
+1
+2
+3
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 02:18:18 pm »

“. . . the Unholy?” Falia questions with a raised eyebrow. She wears her vestments loosely, and lightly fingers the symbol of the Lightbringer she wore around her wrist.

“Yup, Magnimian the Unholy, that’s his name,” Headman Habber confirms to the priest.

After telling the Headman you indeed only wished to free up hands to recruit as skilled labor, and confirming that you would indeed pay for their retraining and new tools, the Headman brought you with him to see the local priestess to get her stamp of approval.

“It’s a professional title,” you inform them, only slightly defensively.

Falia stares at you.
“I see. Well, your offer is quite unorthodox, but I do admit that it is somewhat refreshing compared to our usual interactions with minions of darkness,” she says.
“No offense intended, of course,” she adds with a slight grin.

You incline your head.
“None taken. I believe that we have more to gain by cooperating together than by fighting with each other.”

The priestess slowly nods.
“Well, as I said this is unorthodox, and generally the temple takes a dim view on necromancy. However, there are. . . provisions we could use, benefit for the public good and easing of burdens for others,”

Falia then points her finger at you.
“No meddling with our souls now, and our bodies stay in the ground where they belong,” she warns.

You raise your hands, black gloves covering your fingers.
“I will do nothing to your people that you do not ask for.”

Falia opens her mouth, then closes it and shrugs. She glances at Habber and gestures at the door. He leaves, his stride purposeful out of the chapel.

The priestess considers you for a moment before gesturing around at the walls.

“I would have thought that you would be unable to enter consecrated grounds, considering your condition.”

You shrug. “An invitation makes it much more bearable.”

You can feel it, an itching light at the corner of your eyes, rubbing raw against you. You aren’t used to feeling sensations, ever since you-

A- You used mighty sorceries to sever your ties to Mortality. (Gain Sorcery Word).

B-You developed your necromancy enough that you mastered Death itself. (Gain Death Word). 

C- You fell into a time paradox on an adventure, and now you find that Time wants nothing to do with you. (Gain Time Word)

D- You were destined to die, your body wasting away from a curse. You mastered it, and stopped the curse from eating away at you. Dying was a minor price to pay to be rid of it. (Gain Entropy Word)

E-Something else?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 03:03:27 pm »

E - we discovered that we were always dead, and just hadn't realized. (truth?)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 06:22:44 pm by Egan_BW »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 03:06:58 pm »

E -- transcended the flesh as a Bodhisattva, remaining behind in the world to shepherd all sentient beings into enlightenment and release them from the bonds of Samsara.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 05:51:57 pm »

Not going to vote for this yet, but have an option F for consideration:
F- You finished replacing your interior organs with mechanical substitutes, releasing you from the limits of natural evolution.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 05:57:35 pm »

E - we discovered that we were always dead, and just hadn't realized.
+1. We really ought to work out how that happened, one of these days.
One wheel short of a wagon

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 06:04:15 pm »

Alternatively, everyone else is already dead, and I'm actually the only one still alive. I decided not to tell anyone because I didn't want them to feel bad about it.
(I still like the Boddhisattva one better, though.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 06:11:05 pm »

(angling for something like a word of Truth but I don't actually know Godbound rules. everyone else actually being dead is also good.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16