Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 80131 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #510 on: April 16, 2023, 02:40:05 am »

I'm excited for chapter two!

...Though it might be that I'll be alternating between modes (and possibly between forts), since many of the "plots" are actually player-driven and won't happen on their own.

But when I eventually do these, would you prefer that I do a writeup of the events or keep them hidden and in the background? Like, let's say if (hypothetically speaking) Cañar goes and does some wicked necromancer stuff, would you like to have a written account of it or possibly hear later of such villainous activity in rumors/news or such?
Why not a mix of both, some as rumors and some as written accounts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 16, 2023, 02:47:40 am »

I approached Waterlures from the north during that time.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 16, 2023, 04:39:46 am »

Curious. I wonder what their mission in the north might be?

Anyway, I'll be continuing the game now. Let's see if I get a writeup today done or will it take longer.

Oh, and 'Zultan' is very much alive and I brought him just back with Kumil. Now to redo all the unretiring stuff...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 17, 2023, 07:42:17 am »

Part II:
Building and Pondering

From the journal of Likot Languagehame, Mayor of Waterlures
1st of Slate, 372

“Finally Kumil returned with 'Zultan' from their mission to recruit new hands for the defense of Waterlures. It took them a mighty long time, and for a moment I feared that they, too, would not return. Were it not for the messages Kumil sent my way, I would have been much more worried.

Kumil said that what took them so long was that they did not dare go close to the south, where swords might have been more plentiful. No, going to hillocks and villages sworn to Ustuth Ïdath and the Unaging King were out of the question: their actions would attract unwanted attention there. And, as Kumil said, we certainly do not want the King to know that our forces are weak. In his words, 'Who knows what that wretched bastard of a ruler would do. It is a possibility that he or that oaf of a baron, Stukos, would send in troops for our protection.'

Neither did they go north. For several of the militia members went had gone that way already on an important mission (of which I will not go into detail here). Too many capybara folk wandering those lands could, too, attract attention. Attention from the Tight Torments or vile sorcerors raising the dead, who live there, as we have come to know from stories told by travelers. I shudder at the very thought of rotting corpses walking around, seeking to slay the very living!

So they went west. To the old Elven Lands of Ula Tefe, the Growl of Pleating. And the few elves remaining there were reluctant to join our cause. They said it was 'no concern of theirs'. So Kumil and 'Zultan' had begged and begged, tried to get to know them better, help them out -- whatever they could do to gain their trust. To no avail.

But in the end they managed to gather an odd bunch of animal people to come aid us. Ana Talonspread, a fox woman who was familiar with sword and shield. Osime Waxrider, a muscular pig man with much energy in him (perhaps to the point of annoyance, if you ask me). Atera Fordwave, a coyote man capable not only with the sword, but also with words. Upu Realmsflax, a snow leopard man carrying a war hammer and a sly grin. And finally, Cóce Simplecreature, a large panda woman with some skill in spear, and much knowledge in herb and nature.

They may not be what I expected, but they'll have to do. We are not unfamiliar to the ways of worshippers of Icemí, and we have a shrine dedicated to their 'force of nature'. Their beliefs are not so much different than our: perhaps Icemí is just one manifestation of almighty Ôsed?”

1st of Hematite, 372

Summer arrived and the grass was once again green and trees with lush, verdant leaves.

And once again the capybara folk (and now many other races) were busy at work: for Waterlures had grown very much indeed. Even with those away from the village the population counted seventy-six! There was hardly any room for all, for rooms once occupied had to be kept empty until the return of their owners (this was very much agreed upon by all: everyone would eventually come back. They had to -- this was their true home, after all!).

So, new houses were planned and their sites chosen. Work on the temple to Ôsed could wait. This was of a more urgent nature. If there were no homes, there would be grumbling. And grumbling would lead to unhappiness and unhappiness into more serious things, and that mayor Likot could not have. No, not while she was in charge.

Yet, housing was not the only concern.

Now that Waterlures had more hands to defend itself, those hands, of course, needed arms and armor. And that meant that the smelters and forges had to keep going. It was something that old Datan and the dwarf monks Vabôk and Unib were adamant about. The plump helmet man's forge would not suffice. While it had its special place in the hearts of the denizens of Waterlures, it was hardly efficiently located (so the dwarves said).

Thus, the old charcoal burning shelter was torn down and in its place would rise a new building of stone: one that housed smelters and forges and stores for iron and ore.

9th of Galena, 372

Cusal Couragewiped, husband of late Baroness Kasat, was at the barracks teaching some tricks how to wield a bow. He was in a particularly jolly mood. Not because it was satisfactory to see how his lessons went through the thick skulls of others. No, it was because a particular cat, a small frail cat, had been following him lately. And now, it seemed he was the new owner of this magnificent feline! He had named her Limul Wheeledpartners, for she and Cusal were now like a wagon and wheels (it is debatable which one was the wheels) , and a lovely partnership flourished now between them.

Cusal truly adored cats for their aloofness.

26th of Limestone, 372

The caravan from Ustuth Ïdath had just arrived, and most of the citizens were scurrying about fetching this and that for trade. But not Meng Manywalled.

No, the crow man hunter who had come to Waterlures somewhere around the turn of the year (he didn't quite remember when, but it certainly was before spring) was at his high home, which was perched upon long stilts, towering above many a roof. It was a fitting place for him. Almost as if the capybara folk had anticipated his arrival and built it for him (this, in fact, was not the case: it was built for one of the young capybaras who as child wanted to live up high, but as an adult didn't feel the same. So the house had stayed empty for quite some time). Such marvelous creatures these water-loving rodents, he thought.

But enough of that, for it was time to eat. Meng licked his beak and rubbed his tummy as he eyed the delicious-looking, fatty dish in front of him. It was one of Kib's specialties, and this was truly a unique one. The masterful stew contained plump helmets, sheep tallow and its secret, main ingredient was specially prepared tallow from a black-handed gibbon.

The fat crow looked mighty pleased as he drove his beak into the stew.

2nd of Sandstone, 372

Once again Ôsed's blessing was upon Waterlures: a new girl was born.

Ònul Strickenrelics gave birth to Mistêm Strappedoil (that is the name the proud parents eventually gave the child) while tending to the blade weed fields close to Vabôk's Dyery. It was a rainy autumn day, but Ònul didn't mind. For she was feeling good -- thanks to several mugs of wine -- and having a child be born under the open sky with the Rabbit watching from above just made the day ever the better!

2nd of Timber, 372

Sheriff Fayoba was particularly deep in thought as he trudged along and around Waterlures in the autumn rain. He was making his rounds to make sure everything was alright. It was still new to him, for not so long ago such things were not necessary. Waterlures was a peaceful place then, and the title of Sheriff was just that: a title.

Alas, such times were bound to end eventually. Fayoba knew that. Yet, it was not what he was thinking. No, there was something going on under the peaceful surface of this village he had come to so love. Some things are such that one can not just blame 'angry spirits' or 'unsavory characters visiting'. While the others had maybe forgotten such things -- whether due to foolishness or wanting to forget such wickedness -- Fayoba certainly hadn't forgotten.

It was soon after the four disappeared when it happened: Edu's corpse was found south of the wall impaled on a ashen spear. This was one of those things Fayoba did not find any humor in. Only a cruel soul, full of the most vilest of evils, could have robbed Edu's body from his grave and desecrate his remains in such a macabre fashion.

But that was not all.

Someone or something had done the same thing to the wombat brewer-chronicler's corpse.

At first it was agreed that it was certainly the work of some outsiders, though several insisted that it must have been the work of the angry spirits Yawo warned of. Unfortunately there were no leads, no nothing pointing to a possible culprit.

And so Fayoba had not looked closer or investigated the matter.

He had been a fool.

When Ubbul passed away over a year ago due to old age finally catching him, the same happened again: his body was found north of the wall, just next to the unused guard house on the hilltop.

While it was a schocking affair, the winter and spring had been already rough and hard, so it was of the least of concerns: Cerol Giltfences had fallen through treacherous ice and drowned, and worst of all a creature of the Night, a lumbering troll had assaulted Waterlures slaughtering Monom Blazehelm, on of 'Zultan's' daughters, and Sodel Doorsteamy the two year old, and only child, of Ònul and Deler (fortunately they were blessed with more this year -- perhaps it will slightly ease their pain).

So Fayoba had left it be, since he too was harrowed, and at that moment had thought that maybe it was the doings of the night troll.

But what if it wasn't? What if the culprit were someone within the community and not someone from outside?

The thought disturbed Fayoba. It bothered him. And it lingered.

In his gut, he knew it was true.

13th of Moonstone, 372

Winter arrived in Waterlures, and with it the lake froze. Work on new housing was completed, except for some furnishing, and the foundations of the new forges were laid. In anticipation of children eventually growing up and wanting their own homes, a new building was planned on the waters of the lake, between the House of Knowledge and the Oaken Gold, the crafters' guildhall.

However, it was not the concern of Olon Seerlances, the main healer of Waterlures after Yawo's passing. She was in one of the studies of the library , staring at a wall, thinking. The pig man Osime who was reading a book, lifted his gaze once in a while to wonder what was so interesting in that wall. But, of course, Olon was not actually looking at the wall, but past it, deep into her thoughts.

'Oh, it is not a simple matter, no. Ïteb and all the prophets coming and going have it all wrong,' she thought, trying to make sense of her speculations on belief. She had been mulling on it for quite some time now, and she was beginning to have doubts. She was never one of the religious kind: now and then she made a prayer or two the Prince, to keep her at bay, and once in a while she made a small offering to Mestthos for keeping them safe. That was more of habit than believing it was actually the god of Fortresses that protected them. She knew better: it was the strength of the Fenced Princes, Turquoise Veils and Vabôk's monks that had fought off perils.

'Perhaps it is just a desire to know, something natural to us all, that leads one to believe. For when one does not know the Truth, they make up their own truths...' She scratched the back of her neck trying to gather her thoughts.

“Yes, that is a starting point, isn't it?” She said aloud, startling the pig man.

“Uh, what? The wall?” The pig man spoke and looked at Olon, and then at the wall feeling quite confused.

“Oh, never mind. I must be off now,” she replied, only now realizing she had spoken aloud. “Keep on reading, pig man, maybe you will learn a thing or two.”

And she scurried to fetch some parchment and a quill to write down her thoughts. After that she would go see how preparations for the Winter Festivals were progressing.

And perhaps she might use the festivities as an excuse to forget the importance of belief for a moment and have some much needed time with friends and her husband.

=====

Boy, it feels sooo good to be back in Waterlures proper! And so much happening there too!

I decided that the weird impalings actually happened (still not sure what causes it, but so far its happened only to "adventurers"), and I have possible ideas what lies behind it all. We'll see if we eventually get to it.

We're meeting some old faces and new ones. Excited to see which ones take on new "leading" roles (in addition to those with important positions).

Ideas, suggestions, speculations and the usual etc are more than welcome!

(Perhaps the next update will have a Stonesense screenshot depending on how quickly building progresses)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 17, 2023, 09:17:05 pm »

nice to see and read the return. always great storytelling with your images.

But in the end they managed to gather an odd bunch of animal people to come aid us. Ana Talonspread, a fox woman who was familiar with sword and shield. Osime Waxrider, a muscular pig man with much energy in him (perhaps to the point of annoyance, if you ask me). Atera Fordwave, a coyote man capable not only with the sword, but also with words. Upu Realmsflax, a snow leopard man carrying a war hammer and a sly grin. And finally, Cóce Simplecreature, a large panda woman with some skill in spear, and much knowledge in herb and nature.

this is awesome. did you intend to recruit one of each, or was that just how it happened?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 17, 2023, 11:21:32 pm »

this is awesome. did you intend to recruit one of each, or was that just how it happened?

I just teleported Kumil and Zultan with adventure mode back to Waterlures, and then made several new adventurers to accompany them. I chose the creatures on a whim, but the names and personalities they have are what the game came up with.

Just had to come up with some story why the two were away in the first place since there's no way to know why the game did such a thing (as far as I know).

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 18, 2023, 12:13:42 am »

Would a Legends examination of the two reveal what happened? Do you think it'd mention them going off and about?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 18, 2023, 02:00:45 am »

Would a Legends examination of the two reveal what happened? Do you think it'd mention them going off and about?

No, it unfortunately doesn't reveal such things (it was the first thing I checked). :(

My guess is that it's something artifact related, since that's what NPCs do and there's some missing artifacts in Waterlures. Pretty sure they'd say "I'm on an important mission" if encounted in Adventure mode, but couldn't get any further info than that.

...But since the game doesn't reveal the info, I think it's fine to make up our own stories why they've been gone.

Edit. I'm actually more curious as to what caused the impalings of the three bodies. The only things the three share that I can think of is that they are created as Adventurers (but why haven't others been impaled then?). Or perhaps it's something related to their entity of origin (Edu was from a bandit camp, but the others were from our civ, so probably not that either) or some faction thing?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 18, 2023, 05:18:35 am »

The whole impaling the dead on spears is a strange thing, probably the work of dark magics angry spirits.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 19, 2023, 04:08:55 am »

Part III:
A Year of Toil

10th of Granite, 373

Spring came swiftly after a rather uneventful winter (well. except for that case with a dwarf ghost rising and interrupting the Winter Festivals, but that has been dealt with), and as nature began to bloom, the flail of the Prince fell and claimed many a life.

Limul, the cat who only recently adopted Cusal passed away, succumbing to old age. As did Medtob, one of the two unicorns from Múya Loré.

And so too passed one of the dwarf scholars of the House of Knowledge: Zuntîr Trailspears the sage. In his final years he had settled among the capybara folk and authored 'Interpretations of the Verge Escapement' and 'Introduction to Animal Remedies'. Both were stored among the vast trove of knowledge, which Waterlures had accumulated -- it was certainly one of the largest, if not largest, libraries in the whole of Minbazkar.

And the capybara man scholar Tekkud could be thanked for that (may his soul rest in peace).

13th of Granite, 373

It was odd. Nobody knew quite how it happened, but Likot Languagehame was mayor no more. In fact, none of the capybara folk were mayor any longer. The citizens' assembly of this spring had chosen otherwise, to the surprise of everyone.

It was an elf who was chosen to be the one to guide the capybaras this year. An elf poet named Fecici Lizardorgans who came to visit Waterlures in the midautumn several years back and gained citizenship only but a few months ago. None knew him very well, but he was good with words and the amount of life-experience he had was unbelievable -- he had practically lived before the birth of Ustuth Ïdath and the calender!

That is, if one believed his honeyed words.

Likot Languagehame was not the least bothered to give up her position as mayor.

No, she was quite happy about it. The tremendous responsibilities of a mayor were something she disdained. As mayor, she was forced to control herself, though, she hardly tried to do so for she had abandoned all attempts already as a child. But the thought was there. Constantly. And it would have eventually driven her mad! The offense of such things! And another thing: there was hardly time for a party. Even during the Winter Festival she had to keep up her role of mayor. Even when she would have preferred to get stupid drunk and dance on the tables.

But now, ah, now. She still tasted the sweet wine brewed from the produce of the vineyards. Oh, and how it tingled in her mind! It felt good to be inebriated, walk outside and not be stuck in an office listening to petition after petition and making hard decisions for the future of Waterlures.

Even without an election she would have given up her position to Fecici if he would have asked.

1st of Hematite, 373

Summer came and the breeze blowing from the lake changed into a warm one. Atop the hill, in the small cottage, which some called 'the Lovers' Hut', Reg Musclehame and Asmel Rocksborn were spending some time off. The two were young, still in their early teens, but “such age is a good one to spark some romance and love” as old Kib Spearmobbed, mother of Asmel had said to 'Zultan' when they shared a mug of wine at the Fruit of Letters.

So perhaps Waterlures would see a new couple still this year. At least, it was the hope of the elders, of whom many were saddened by young couples being separated by travels and in some cases even by death.

4th of Hematite, 373

The elven merchants from Múya Loré left late that year. Their donkeys, giraffes and reindeer were packed with old clothing, which the citizens of Waterlures had given them in exchange for fruits and clothes of elven make. It was an odd deal, and even odder was that the new mayor, Fecici, gifted a large amount of socks and what-not to them. The fripperers from Ustuth Ïdath would have paid a pretty penny for that, but Fecici had insisted that it would improve the relations with the sensitive elves quite some.

It sounded reasonable enough for the capybaras. Besides, their stores were bursting from the amount of clothes they had hoarded. They could easily spare thrice the amount they offered.

But Fayoba was not content. It bothered him. There were many things bothering him these days, and it, well, it bothered him very much. And he did not like that at all.

'Mighty convenient it was that Fecici became mayor just days before the elf merchants arrived,' he thought as he worked at the looms, spinning yarn into wool cloth. 'And staying so long here, too. Usually they leave once the trading is done. But not this time. Makes one wonder what's going on beneath the surface...'

And so he kept on thinking of possible plots and schemes as he worked.

He also thought that maybe he was thinking of such matters too much, and possibly, possibly he might need someone like Rin on his side to take care of things related to intrigue.

7th of Galena, 373

Summer was in its last third when Logem Standardmartyr, one of the capybara weavers, suddenly felt it: a strange tingling sensation creeping up the spine into one's head. And then her mind was filled with a blur of thoughts and images, visions of materials and methods, and she felt herself loose control of her body. It was as if someone or something else controlled her.

All she understood was that she now had joined the ranks of those who were struck with a 'fey mood'.

And she headed off to make her Creation.

And truly Logem created a masterpiece, an artifact which certainly would attract the envy of many a dwarf: Wirecarries the Frightful Feasts, a sheep wool sock!

It was a mystery the capybara folk had not yet solved, and probably never would. Why were the bearded ones so obsessed with socks? Legend told they had even fought terrible, bloody wars over the ownership of particularly unique ones.

Hopefully such a thing would not happen due to Logem's sock. The thought was terrifying.

And so, as a precaution, the sock was sealed in the secure vaults of Waterlures, underneath the old baronial quarters.

By a dwarf.

11th of Limestone, 373

The outpost liaison Tirist was quite surprised. Things had changed in Waterlures.

First, when he arrived with the dwarven caravan, he noticed that the old trade pavilion was being torn down and a new, obviously temporary one, was located just next to that so-called baronesses' tomb.

Second, the stairs to the mayor's office exhausted him. He must have put on some weight. Well, maybe that wasn't surprising or new at all, but once again he had forgotten the whole thing during the year that had passed.

Third, there was no capybara woman meeting him at the mayor's office. No, not one of those bathing rodents he had come to love and hate. The one meeting him was none other than one of those untrustworthy tree-lovers, an elf.

It was hard for Tirist to focus when listening to the sweet babbling of the pointy-eared one, who most certainly was up to no good.

He would have to report about this turn of events back at the Mountainhomes. Especially since the elf did not ask for anything from the dwarves when a trade agreement was supposed to be made (as is customary and proper), stating that they 'needed nothing from their kind' -- such an insult!

20th of Limestone, 373

Trading with the dwarves from the Mountainhomes was just about concluded when Ònul Strickenrelics gave birth to her fourth child. A baby boy was born and he was to be named Feb Spokenpaper.

16th of Sandstone, 373

It was not only written word the House of Knowledge birthed, for around midautumn new life sprung into existence. Olon Seerlances birthed a boy in a study of the library. It was not so long ago when she had thought of spending more time with her husband, and indeed that she apparently had done.

The amount of children in Waterlures was once again steadily growing.

From the journal of Fayoba Claspedleap, Sheriff of Waterlures
5th of Timber, 373

“Two dwarves came by today. (I probably should note here for future readings, that we have closed the gates -- figuratively only, they are actually quite open -- from visitors for the time being. That, I believe, was a good decision from Fecici.) A burly dwarf named Edëm (he didn't seem like a bright fellow) and a sour, grumbling one named Tulon (I mean, she really was a dour one). They were looking for supplies for their harvest would not be bountiful enough this year. They said that they have a small mining camp just nearby, perhaps a half day's travel away to the southeast on the banks of river Swayedcrypt. Rivermine they called it.

Naturally we helped them out. After all, what manner of creature refuses those in need at the cusp of winter when their own stores are full to the brim with food?”

7th of Moonstone, 373

Once again the year was nearing its end and winter came. The last remnants of the old trade pavilion had been torn down and parts of the quartzite road were dismantled, too. For a grand new trading bazaar was to rise in the place of the old trading place, and from its back wall the bridge to the House of Knowledge would open.

It was a grand project that would take a year or two until it was completed, but it was deemed to be worth it.

The Winter Festivals would be short this year -- if there would be even time for such matters for much was yet to be done. Work continued even when the first snow storms came.

The new smelter and forge building was nearing completion: only the last few floors and roofing needed to be done. The building would serve a dual purpose. First and foremost it would be where ore was roasted and smelted into metals, and then forged into weapons and tools. Second, it would house a guildhall for metalsmiths, though there were hardly any smiths in the village.

But that might change in the future. The growing population of dwarves within the community had convinced the new mayor of that.

Several new houses were already erected and furnished...

...while some old ones had been expanded.

More buildings rose over the lake, too.

There was much need for homes and workplaces, for Waterlures was growing and thriving. It was only a matter of time when the hamlet-turned-village could be considered a town proper.

These were exciting times in the settlement of capybara folk, for the future seemed prosperous and bright despite some tragic events and setbacks few years back. Yet, these were also frightening times, for growth meant that Waterlures would attract unwanted attention. Not the unwanted attention it had already received, but one of a more dire nature: the threat of vile forces of Darkness.

2nd of Obsidian, 373

Finally, when Obsidian arrived on the calendar, the denizens of Waterlures (or at least tha majority of them) had time for the Winter Festivals.

So capybara folk, dwarf, elf and other creature gathered in the good old Fruit of Letters to celebrate the work they had accomplished this year. Everything had gone much quicker and smoothly than was expected. And to top it all, there were no unfortunate accidents when tearing down old buildings. This time the master carpenters and architects made sure everything was as secure as possible.

Work would continue the next year, albeit at a slower pace, so that other work could be done. However, now was not the time to think of such things, but rather of drink and song, of poetry and dance, of friend and family.

...But as the capybaras rejoiced and made merry, happy and proud of their work, the foundations of a temple lay untouched. The long-planned place of worship dedicated to Ôsed, the Rabbit in the Sky, lay all but forgotten just a short distance northwest of the walls of Waterlures. Autumn leaves had gathered in corners, the oldest already turning to soil, though now blanketed by snow, and grass had begun to grow from between the floor stones left uncovered, while moss was slowly taking hold on some of the walls.

The winter gale coming from the lake moaned a song of sorrow as it blew betwixt the half-finished pillars of cinnabar.

=====

So, it's starting get quite crowded within the walls as new buildings arise. It's surprisingly fun to figure out spots where to build new stuff, where to expand buildings and what possibly to tear down.

Not really surprised that an elf became a mayor. Damn immortals having all the time in the world to hone their social skills.

What was surprising was that the miner/prospector camp I founded on my last turn (or was it earlier?) is now economically linked to us. It actually fit very, very well into my plans. I'd been thinking how to introduce the place to Waterlures without it being too forced, but well, guess the game took care of that on its own.

Speaking of camps. For the next update I'll do just a little bit of spring (to see if anyone dies of old age -- Kib being the most probable as she's 76 or 77), then hop out of Waterlures to do several other things. It'd be silly of some plots just were in stasis for years and years. But at the most it'd be probably a (ingame) season or two out of Waterlures. Not sure how much of those I'll write.

After those are done I'll hop back into our beloved village.

Suggestions, thoughts, yadda-yadda -- you know the deal.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 19, 2023, 04:51:55 am »

I really like the stonesence screen shots as they give a much better idea of what the town looks like. Also the place has grown quite a bit since the last time we saw it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 19, 2023, 06:34:11 am »

Yeah, while I don't normally like using visualizers (or non-ASCII tilesets), Stonesense does a good job showing multiple levels with its isometric view. So, its use is approved. :D

It's quite a bit how Waterlures has changed and grown during its time (49 years old now, so soon 50!). Here's a comparison:

What I really like is how it's been growing organically instead of being a pre-planned "this is how the village/town will look like" thingie.

I've got loads of future plans for the infrastructure, so it'll be interesting to see what the place looks like after, let's say, ten ingame years (and how many of my plans change).

(Edit. Slightly modified the thread title. I guess I should update the first post too at some point to reflect the changes from a succession game to maybe a semi-succession game/story, or what the heck should we call this kind of gameplay?)

(Edit 2. If someone wants to check the Legends of early 374 or mess around with the world, here's the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16576 )

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]
« Reply #522 on: April 19, 2023, 01:36:14 pm »

awesome. those temple foundations are evocative. and the stonesense screenshots ? SO GOOD. The birds-eye perspective really shows the effort put into realistic architecture.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 19, 2023, 01:49:42 pm »

awesome. those temple foundations are evocative. and the stonesense screenshots ? SO GOOD. The birds-eye perspective really shows the effort put into realistic architecture.

Thanks! I do like to do some "research" on medieval architecture (that is, look at pictures and possibly floorplans if I find any) and get some ideas from there. Not that I'm really aiming for a completely realistic style -- mainly just taking some inspiration. It'd be nice if we'd at some point get more building materials into DF like cob and wattle & daub plus some nice thatched roofs. (Of course those could be modded in, but no point in a straw roof if you can't burn it once it's built. :P )

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 20, 2023, 04:05:47 am »

I've always been impressed by your buildings in this and how you manage to make them look like actually houses instead of the featureless rectangles we see in other forts.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49