Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 40734 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #390 on: December 11, 2022, 02:00:11 pm »

stay focused
I silently sweep the chamber and verify there's no threats here, maintaining distance from the likely warpy statue.

Assuming you do not consider the warpy statue to be a threat, then there are no threats in the room. While it is roomier than the passage to the cavern, it is still small enough that you can confidently say there is nothing waiting in ambush as even the wasp creatures that attacked you yesterday would have no place to hide.

"Yes yes, warning received. If you're not trying to kill us yet, does that mean you have something to communicate?"

The statue does not respond.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 11, 2022, 02:57:11 pm »

"I'll take that as a no? So, since we came here looking for heresy, and there's no heresy here, I suppose we just turn around and go back."

Karsus the Mad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 12, 2022, 01:33:31 am »

"That's it?" Tallion questions the seer incredulously. "All this way just to turn around without even trying to figure out what this is and why it's here? I mean I may be no Seer but..." He points at the statue. "That statue looks like it's made of one large, carved, piece of Spirit Stone... For all we know, it could be the World Soul..." He looks from the seer to the statue and back again. "...or at least a piece of it. And we're just gonna leave? When we may have accidentally stumbled upon a clue that could lead us to why we came to this world in the first place?"

"Shouldn't we at least, I don't know, try harder to commune with it or figure out what it is and where it came from?" He adds, offering an alternate course of action. "If it wont talk, then maybe there's a clue or something in this cave that could help us... or at least make our trip worth the effort it took to get all the way out here."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 12, 2022, 01:46:52 am »

"Greedy."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 12, 2022, 06:47:29 am »

"If you were a seer, I'm sure that you would be familiar with the sunk-cost fallacy. Or else you would be a dead seer. You seek some reward for your efforts and time, but let me remind you that the universe doesn't work like that. Even if we were to fight, there's nothing to gain. We can't carry all of that stone out with the five of us, and if we were to fetch more manpower we may as well bring reinforcements."

Karsus the Mad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 12, 2022, 12:42:27 pm »

"Fight? Who said anything about fighting? Or greed? Or even carrying the stone out? I meant we look around the cave a bit more for any clues about what this is and how it got here..." He gestures between himself and Indaria. "While you, the seer, try to commune with, or study, it psychically. All we did was come here, verbally ask if it had anything it wanted to tell us, and suddenly we're done."

"Like I said, this could be a clue to the World Soul... The attacks we received coming here could just be it lashing out in fear because it doesn't recognize us. Or maybe it's a test of some form and we need to pass before it'll point us to the next marker. Or possibly it's a ward sealing some daemonic evil that needs to be protected. We don't actually know and should look deeper before we go. That's all I'm saying, since all we do know is that it looks to be made of Spirit Stone; which would make it an Aeldari relic... the type of thing we're on this mission to discover."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:04:06 pm by Karsus the Mad »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 12, 2022, 12:48:06 pm »

"Do I really have to tell you again that I am not a damned telepath? This is how I communicate. What, do you want me to slap the thing?"

Karsus the Mad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 12, 2022, 02:22:59 pm »

"I don't know!!! Meditate in front of it and see if it reaches out to you! Or maybe just study it closely with those psychic senses you Seers seem to all possess; there's a chance you'll learn something we don't already know! Or, instead, we could all search the chamber together for clues and information. Gods Above!!! I shouldn't have to come up with all the ideas. I'm just saying we shouldn't leave without at least trying to learn more."

He pauses for a moment in contemplation, taking a deep breath. Then in a voice much calmer, and less exasperated than he'd been just a second earlier, he adds. "But fine, if you wish to leave, have at it... I'll stay here, by myself, to see what I can find... Without any Seer ability or aid..."

Tallion begins quietly searching the chamber for anything other clue or relic that could lend more insight into the statue or the World Soul... alone if he has to

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 12, 2022, 02:27:19 pm »

"If you insist on getting yourself squished, then I shall stay a while and collect your soulstone."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 13, 2022, 01:11:37 pm »

His creation is the old man. Lying on the bed is no doubt the perfect image of the old man, even you who had spent time in his body could not find a single flaw. Every pore and every hair was exactly as it should be. Every hidden flaw was represented, every fingerprint carefully traced. A perfect copy beyond human creation. His head had been blown apart by an autopistol round to his brow, a wound at which the man is now carefully sculpting.

Now back in his body, Marco massages his brow and doesn't even try to waste brainpower to understand what is going on after what he's just experienced. One weird experience getting his consciousness meddled with was one too much already.

"So who or what are you?" he casually inquires as he runs his hands over his greatcoat to make sure it's still pristine.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 01:20:07 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 13, 2022, 04:51:43 pm »

"I don't know!!! Meditate in front of it and see if it reaches out to you! Or maybe just study it closely with those psychic senses you Seers seem to all possess; there's a chance you'll learn something we don't already know! Or, instead, we could all search the chamber together for clues and information. Gods Above!!! I shouldn't have to come up with all the ideas. I'm just saying we shouldn't leave without at least trying to learn more."

He pauses for a moment in contemplation, taking a deep breath. Then in a voice much calmer, and less exasperated than he'd been just a second earlier, he adds. "But fine, if you wish to leave, have at it... I'll stay here, by myself, to see what I can find... Without any Seer ability or aid..."

Tallion begins quietly searching the chamber for anything other clue or relic that could lend more insight into the statue or the World Soul... alone if he has to

As small as the chamber is there is little that can remain hidden. Unfortunately there is likewise little to hide. Aside from the statue, there is the crystal growth behind it and natural cave formations. The natural cave formations are only valuable to those who appreciate natural beauty. The waterfall of glowing crystals behind the statue seem to be psionically active but to not contain the souls of your fallen brethren as the statue does. In your uniformed opinion they could likely be crafted into some equipment fit for a psyker - such as a Force weapon - if you where to find someone capable of crafting with them. Such person is unlikely to exist on an especially pious human world but can likely be found among your Eldar contacts.

Otherwise the only source of information in the area is the statue itself. Will you attempt to commune with it in some way?

His creation is the old man. Lying on the bed is no doubt the perfect image of the old man, even you who had spent time in his body could not find a single flaw. Every pore and every hair was exactly as it should be. Every hidden flaw was represented, every fingerprint carefully traced. A perfect copy beyond human creation. His head had been blown apart by an autopistol round to his brow, a wound at which the man is now carefully sculpting.

Now back in his body, Marco massages his brow and doesn't even try to waste brainpower to understand what is going on after what he's just experienced. One weird experience getting his consciousness meddled with was one too much already.

"So who or what are you?" he casually inquires as he runs his hands over his greatcoat to make sure it's still pristine.

"Have you truly not pieced it together yet? I suppose I can not expect too much from a human."

His voice is deeper, befitting his new guise.

"I am an artist of the true rulers of this world. Long ago when the invaders came most where driven off or killed. But I am an artist, so I disguised myself as human. My skill is unmatched by your kind, even if human senses where not as dull as sand you would not be able to detect a single flaw in my creation. So I lived among the humans, and I would send information regarding their leadership, troop movements, and infrastructure to my brothers in the stars. As an exodite, such methods that rely only on only my skill and ingredients provided by the world are better for the soul than high-tech alternatives."

He continues working as he speaks, his body still apparently in a trance with its full concentration on his "art".

"But it is better to be safe than sorry. My voice and movements may give me away. So I tend to play a part that can not move freely, living my life bound to a chair pulled by a caretaker who speaks for me. This both handily hides my Aeldari origin and exempts me from military service that would pit me against my own kind if not expose me as a spy. That should explain everything, yes?"

Now complete, he steps away from his work.

"Even while rushed, I create nothing but perfection. Still you must order the body burned immediately. I had no time to detail the innards, an autopsy or funeral preparation will expose it for a fake. It should be fine to the touch, so long as nobody notices it is oddly cold for a fresh corpse."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 14, 2022, 01:15:29 pm »

While Lord-Captain Guerra cannot fault Regent Guilliman's decision to create a limited alliance with the Eldar, he still dearly wishes the xenos would be less obnoxious. Then again he's trying to judge the arrogance and excessive vanity of aliens while a brushfire war between two Traders rages in the world for no good reason.

"Is there an autopistol available anywhere nearby? The corpse's 'death' will seem quite suspicious otherwise." Marco points out as he lifts his sidearm—a plasma pistol.

"And as I will help you, I assume you will assist me in forging this hunting trophy so the Traders might stop quarreling."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Karsus the Mad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 14, 2022, 03:32:06 pm »

Finding precious little beyond more psyonically active, but empty, crystals... Tallion ponders for a moment. There wasn't much of immediate use here, though he might eventually have to return for the crystals; if only to ensure they stayed out on Mon'keigh hands permanently. Still, he guessed the statue itself, given it's design, was most likely of Exodite make... when there were still Exodites on this world.

He knew his people we innately psychic; though most were not skilled in it like the Seers, Warlocks or Bonesingers were. And that much of their technology was built around that fact. Such that even an unskilled Aeldari could manipulate the Wraithbone that made up a Craftworld, at least to a limited extent, or access doors and consoles with but a thought.

Maybe, just maybe, if he meditated long enough and hard enough before the statue then he might be able to commune with it. To open his mind and attempt to reach out as best he could, despite his lack of training of skill. 'This would be so much easier if the Seer would help...' He thought to himself. He looked up into the statues eyes, opening himself up to it; hoping this both would work and wasn't a mistake.

Tallion meditates before the Statue and attempts to call upon the psionic abilities of all Eldar to reach out to whatever spirit dwells within. He will continue to do so until either a connection is made, the statue reaches out, or a clearer sign is given than a simple rumble of the cave.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 14, 2022, 10:37:01 pm »

While Lord-Captain Guerra cannot fault Regent Guilliman's decision to create a limited alliance with the Eldar, he still dearly wishes the xenos would be less obnoxious. Then again he's trying to judge the arrogance and excessive vanity of aliens while a brushfire war between two Traders rages in the world for no good reason.

"Is there an autopistol available anywhere nearby? The corpse's 'death' will seem quite suspicious otherwise." Marco points out as he lifts his sidearm—a plasma pistol.

"And as I will help you, I assume you will assist me in forging this hunting trophy so the Traders might stop quarreling."

The Eldar takes hold of the picter on the bed, fiddles with it briefly and removes a side. He puts his hand inside and pulls out an autopistol.

"You where out for some time. I could not rely on you awakening before they arrived. I have no wish to involve myself in petty human matters, but if that is what it takes to secure your cooperation I suppose I will lower myself to assisting you. I do think it is...naive to assume solving the issue of the trophy will end their feud. In all likelihood you will be forced to pick a side if you want to settle their conflict in the long term."

Finding precious little beyond more psyonically active, but empty, crystals... Tallion ponders for a moment. There wasn't much of immediate use here, though he might eventually have to return for the crystals; if only to ensure they stayed out on Mon'keigh hands permanently. Still, he guessed the statue itself, given it's design, was most likely of Exodite make... when there were still Exodites on this world.

He knew his people we innately psychic; though most were not skilled in it like the Seers, Warlocks or Bonesingers were. And that much of their technology was built around that fact. Such that even an unskilled Aeldari could manipulate the Wraithbone that made up a Craftworld, at least to a limited extent, or access doors and consoles with but a thought.

Maybe, just maybe, if he meditated long enough and hard enough before the statue then he might be able to commune with it. To open his mind and attempt to reach out as best he could, despite his lack of training of skill. 'This would be so much easier if the Seer would help...' He thought to himself. He looked up into the statues eyes, opening himself up to it; hoping this both would work and wasn't a mistake.

Tallion meditates before the Statue and attempts to call upon the psionic abilities of all Eldar to reach out to whatever spirit dwells within. He will continue to do so until either a connection is made, the statue reaches out, or a clearer sign is given than a simple rumble of the cave.

As soon as you attempt to make contact, you pass out. The catgirls are left with a steadily breathing Eldar body.

You find yourself in the Void, the light of the stars and sun of this world as a backdrop. Before you is a gestalt of souls. At first they seem chaotic, with spirits moving at random in a bright ball of light, but the longer the look the more you find a pattern emerge. You see a face appear, then a full head, composed of countless whirling souls. The end result looks something like an Eldar made from light pouring through mist, down to the shoulders.

A million voices begin to speak to you in your native tongue. Inconveniently they speak not as one, but each soul speaks with its own voice. Their message is the same with different wording. Some polite, some rude, some urgent, some relaxed, some worried, some calm, with the subtlety of the Eldar language allowing for a full spectrum of tone a human tongue could not hope to grasp. It takes a concentrated effort to tell what they are saying, but somehow you manage it.

"You are trespassing on sacred ground."
"You taint the hollowed cave with your presence."
"You really shouldn't be here, the Spirit does not like it."
"You have some balls to confront those slaughtered by humans while being their pet. Do you have a death wish?"
"Are you stupid? We sent all those things to warn you and you still dare to show your face before us?"
"Please leave. It is not safe here for you."
"Do you really think this is a good idea? Hey, its you're life."

And countless more all overlapping each other, not with sound but with thought. Your mind is racing with just the opening message. You do not feel like you can handle a long conversation - it may be best to be efficient with your questions.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 15, 2022, 12:56:22 am »

He got lucky if all it did was knock him unconsious.

Move the vulnerable Eldar away from the warpy stature before he gets turned into a raptor or something.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47