Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 40582 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2022, 01:28:15 am »

What.

Maybe it's just an honest misunderstanding. Marco will try to pretend that is the case at least, in order to save some of his sanity. ++The information you might have about me is wrong, as I am not a mercenary. I'm a fellow Trader, and a Warrant holder myself.++
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2022, 11:37:15 am »

Symonne puts some thought into the matter, then gets to work through her connections with the Ecclesiarchy. (Peer and Favored of the Faithful)

++This conflict between traders threatens the safety and sanctity of all who dwell on Rook's Crown. All priests should be encouraged to decry the violence, and to get the combatants to lay down arms. The threat of losing the Emperor's blessing and having their souls damned might be enough to calm things down before innocent blood is shed.++

After that, she hits up the merchant guilds. (Peer again)

++The chartered Rogue Trader vessel Ark Royale is in urgent need of autogun ammunition in all calibers. I need the names and addresses of any merchants holding stockpiles of ammo in order to negotiate favorable purchase orders. Please respond with haste.++
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2022, 11:27:32 pm »

Eh, close enough. Leap onto the beast's back!

With your superior Eldar dexterity you leap gracefully on the dragon's back.

The dragon doesn't appreciate this. It does its best to buck you off. Your ride is roughly equivalent to when you run into a warp reef or a burst of cannon fire hits your ship, except the shaking keeps going and going and going with the clear intent to throw you to the ground. Still despite the creature's best efforts you remain roughly behind its front claws, though you're bouncing all over location wise.

I step forward to secure my catch and roar myself to startle and intimidate them so that they don't pay to much attention to the vulner- WHAT is Kedia doing?

You give out a mighty roar. Or the human(ish) equivalent. It isn't nearly as impressive as the Chief's beast but the remaining Raptors arn't impressive themselves. They back away while making themselves bigger, starting to run as that before mentioned dino follows up your roar.

Your bolas arn't going to hold much longer. The beast is desperately pulling at the powerful ropes with its jaws, and it is clearly loosening. You'll only have a moment to act. Maybe you should follow the Eldar's example?

What.

Maybe it's just an honest misunderstanding. Marco will try to pretend that is the case at least, in order to save some of his sanity. ++The information you might have about me is wrong, as I am not a mercenary. I'm a fellow Trader, and a Warrant holder myself.++

"Oh, my apologies. Thank you for your interest in contributing your assistance as an equal participant. We've had a lot of volunteers, but no Traders yet."

He seems happy to be acknowledged as an equal, judging from his voice.

Symonne puts some thought into the matter, then gets to work through her connections with the Ecclesiarchy. (Peer and Favored of the Faithful)

++This conflict between traders threatens the safety and sanctity of all who dwell on Rook's Crown. All priests should be encouraged to decry the violence, and to get the combatants to lay down arms. The threat of losing the Emperor's blessing and having their souls damned might be enough to calm things down before innocent blood is shed.++

After that, she hits up the merchant guilds. (Peer again)

++The chartered Rogue Trader vessel Ark Royale is in urgent need of autogun ammunition in all calibers. I need the names and addresses of any merchants holding stockpiles of ammo in order to negotiate favorable purchase orders. Please respond with haste.++

The Ecclesiarchy seemed ready to decry you as a borderline heretic when asked to decry violence and one contact hung up in disbelief when asked to ask them to lay down their arms.

++Master Cipio++ a fortress Abbot replies ++I am not aware of how things are done in the Void. Here the Emperor is a warlord. A warrior. A bulwark who fights for the Empire and everyone in it. A shining example of the perfect human killing machine. His peace is something only to be found in the next world. 'Fight for the Emperor!' is the most frequent sound in the ears of our flock, surpassing even the retort of their own weapons. How could we possibly even consider the possibility of asking them to stop fighting? The Governor-General has signed off on these training missions. We would sooner officiate an Eldar marriage then tell my men they'll be damned for fighting in a legally legitimate training mission.++

He sighs.

++Forgive me for any rudeness. This is something my heart burns brightly over. You are a good friend to the Ecclesiarchy and I have no cause to offend you. Perhaps your shipboard priest is the type to focus more on His Love of Humanity rather than his Hatred of Evil? These are really one in the same...++

The Abbot will continue to give a lecture for 30 minutes unless interrupted.

As a direct result of the rationing, the Quartermaster mentioned earlier is able to give you a list of all the shops authorized to sell autogun ammunition on the planet. Swiftly and without question. It is a long list in digital form, allowing you to easily sift through data based on whatever criteria you wish.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2022, 11:35:12 pm »

Draw my chainsword and rev it.

"You settle down, or I'm taking my bolas back along with your leg!"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2022, 11:46:59 pm »

Yep. Now's my chance. I mount up and get ready for a rough ride.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2022, 10:06:17 am »

"Oh, my apologies. Thank you for your interest in contributing your assistance as an equal participant. We've had a lot of volunteers, but no Traders yet."

So apparently it had been a misunderstanding. Good thing too, since Marco had been just about to contact the Governor again and ask if a peaceful solution is really necessary.

++Is there any reason for the Trader who brought you here not to have joined your cause? Have they left before the conflict began, perhaps?++

Be a good listener. He's totally a real Trader too. If he's too busy and/or it doesn't seem like there's any intel to be had, just have small talk, close off the comms and  deal with the matters of resupply until we can get the raptor corpse clone to bring both Traders to the negotiation table.

"First Officer, we'll need as much information on the other Traders as possible for future negotiations. Especially when it comes to Triggvaldr."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 11:37:50 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2022, 02:37:21 pm »

Symonne puts the Abbot on mute in the middle of a long recitation of scripture to update Marco with an eye-roll and a sigh.

"Ecclesiarchy is a bust, I'm afraid. According to him this little trade conflict is a perfectly legit, even holy, affair. So much for the safety of the greater flock."

After taking her licks from the Abbot and signing off, Symonne frowns at the Lord-Captain's request.

"Sir, with all due respect I'll be more useful if I know exactly what sort of information you want me to focus on. If I dig enough, I can probably get you Trader Triggvaldr's shoe size or preferred flavor of tooth cleanser or any other trivial tidbits. It'll take time I could be spending gathering more pertinent intelligence, but..." the seneschal's voice trailed off with a shrug.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2022, 05:32:36 pm »

Marco gives Symmone a stern look. "First Officer, if the order given allows you to exercise discretion, then it is exactly because I trust you to know better than to give me a shoe size unless you have found a way to leverage that information into an advantage during a negotiation."

"If you desire a starting point, see how the Governor's daughter fits into all of this and if there is any information about Triggvaldr having any sort of bodily alteration or improvement, or showing superhuman capabilites, as well as any offworld enemies and rivals he might have."
he adds with a sigh.

>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2022, 12:35:58 pm »

Symonne brightened up.

"There, see? Now I have fields to concentrate on."

First things first, what is up with this daughter of the Governor's? We need her history up to the moment she disappeared: known associates, scandals, everything we can get.

Second, do some digging into the medical history of the traders (particularly Triggvaldr, since the Lord-Captain asks). Look for signs of augmetic or genetic tampering in particular - even black market jobs will leave traces that some well-placed crowns or a surreptitious scan might uncover.

The last one might be trickier, but see if Trigg's got any known adversaries off-world. That torpedo destroyer of his may well be on some sector file for one violation or another. Make use of the ship astropaths.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2022, 11:35:07 pm »

Draw my chainsword and rev it.

"You settle down, or I'm taking my bolas back along with your leg!"

You somehow manage to maintain your position without getting knocked off. With your Eldar reflexes you also manage to equip your chainsword in one hand and rev it. The sound of an engine above its head has the opposite effect on the poor creature and it redoubles its efforts to get you off. It leaps into the air, crashes down, kicks back its legs, shakes like a wet dog...anything it can think of to get rid of you.

To no avail so far.

Yep. Now's my chance. I mount up and get ready for a rough ride.

You mount up the creature while it remains tied. It wiggles free almost as soon as you take your position. At least you have a head start compared to the Eldar, it wasn't able to buck you off while it was tied up. All it can manage for the time being is an ear piercing screech.

So apparently it had been a misunderstanding. Good thing too, since Marco had been just about to contact the Governor again and ask if a peaceful solution is really necessary.

++Is there any reason for the Trader who brought you here not to have joined your cause? Have they left before the conflict began, perhaps?++

Be a good listener. He's totally a real Trader too. If he's too busy and/or it doesn't seem like there's any intel to be had, just have small talk, close off the comms and  deal with the matters of resupply until we can get the raptor corpse clone to bring both Traders to the negotiation table.

"Oh, I'm not working with anyone at the moment. I just stayed behind here after finishing off my last gig for a little dignified recreation. Imagine it, out of all the dino hunts on all the planets in all the galaxy, he walks into mine."

Symonne brightened up.

"There, see? Now I have fields to concentrate on."

First things first, what is up with this daughter of the Governor's? We need her history up to the moment she disappeared: known associates, scandals, everything we can get.

Second, do some digging into the medical history of the traders (particularly Triggvaldr, since the Lord-Captain asks). Look for signs of augmetic or genetic tampering in particular - even black market jobs will leave traces that some well-placed crowns or a surreptitious scan might uncover.

The last one might be trickier, but see if Trigg's got any known adversaries off-world. That torpedo destroyer of his may well be on some sector file for one violation or another. Make use of the ship astropaths.

His daughter is by all accounts an upstanding citizen. Thanks to her father's position she was able to enter the top military academy in the world, and with the help of additional tutors she was able to receive high marks across the board. She won gold in a mock combat as a commander during her final year and lesser accolades in personnel combat since starting her education. She had graduated just last year, though it is likely she remains in contact with some of her old friends from the academy. There are no particular scandals, and while all the publicly released information includes no small amount of propaganda there must be some truth to it. She was deployed as an enlisted woman on one of the airbases, but has since paid off her Public Defense tax and has been absent from public service. If there is anything negative it would likely be covered up for propaganda purposes. You have a class list and list of personnel assigned to the airbase at the time of her deployment.

You can't find any medical history on either of the traders. While this may be a testament to how tight-lipped doctors are even in comparison to the merchants, it is possibly more likely that each has medical professionals working for them on base.

It will take some time for the astropathic responses to come in, but you have a bad feeling this fishing expedition won't be particularly fruitful. You know he has a rival that is currently on world and shooting at him, who you know isn't the head of their house. Presumably the head of his house is also a rival, as is any extended family. Given the attempted fratricide rumor it can be assumed that they where not contacted for assistance in the current conflict.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2022, 12:53:34 am »

You want to make noise? Okay, lets make some noise. I roar back at it directly into its ear, but my focus is on maintaining a solid grip and staying mounted, because I know it's going to be trying to get me off of it soon.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2022, 07:23:17 am »

Well then, I guess let's just stay on.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2022, 09:56:36 am »

"With the Maw closed off, it was but bad fortune that both of you ended up in the same side of the passage. I have heard you are a talented pilot yourself; I steered the Ark Royal through the Warp myself this last trip, but I admit to not being a particularly talented pilot or helmsman. What about your recent accomplishments?"

Maybe the fact they were both pilots and the fact the Lord-Captain had just safely steered the cruiser through the lightless Warp would spark the desire to boast about his own achievements and adventures on Guest Rouri.

Other things:
1) Order more thorough (focused) auguries of the planet, avoiding the fortress complex itself for obvious etiquette. It's also a great excuse to scan the area indicated to us by the Eldar.
2) Spend free time watching the troop movements to learn about a bit more about combined arms warfare.
3) See if we can establish a private comms channel with Governor-General so we can talk about more sensitive things. Like whether his daughter is currently in danger.

As for Symonne, "Look into these talented locals the Traders have recruited, and/or see if any of the Traders have any close allies or lovers, old or new. The Governor's daughter might be disguised."
>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2022, 10:18:51 am »

As the Captain orders! Look into that talented swordfighter and skilled pilot that the two traders have hired, get identities and whatever can be found about their histories. Do a bit of probing into the traders' known associates both professional and personal.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2022, 06:06:41 pm »

You want to make noise? Okay, lets make some noise. I roar back at it directly into its ear, but my focus is on maintaining a solid grip and staying mounted, because I know it's going to be trying to get me off of it soon.

Following the Eldar's footsteps in intentionally antagonizing your mount, you scream in the poor beasts ear (or what you assume to be its ear. It is hard to tell with dinos). As with the Eldar this encourages it to buck you off. While you lack the grace of the Eldar you go for a more strength-based approach that is probably closer to what the locals do. Holding on for dear life your body crashes several times into the Raptor's back as it desperately hops around attempting to remove you. It goes into a spin as if chasing its own tail trying to get its mouth on you.

But for now you remain seated thanks to your death-grip.

Well then, I guess let's just stay on.

With a final splash of energy, the dragon makes swift erratic movements to get rid of you. With no rhyme or reason it twists around like a hurricane, destroying nearby plants with its claws as it does so. You continue to bounce with a sword in one hand, the sword often catching on the jungle's trees and the thicker undergrowth making the ride more difficult than it needs to be. It slumps to the ground exhausted. Breathing heavily, you now rise and fall with the steady motion of its lungs. You've successfully broken the dragon's will!

"With the Maw closed off, it was but bad fortune that both of you ended up in the same side of the passage. I have heard you are a talented pilot yourself; I steered the Ark Royal through the Warp myself this last trip, but I admit to not being a particularly talented pilot or helmsman. What about your recent accomplishments?"

Maybe the fact they were both pilots and the fact the Lord-Captain had just safely steered the cruiser through the lightless Warp would spark the desire to boast about his own achievements and adventures on Guest Rouri.

Other things:
1) Order more thorough (focused) auguries of the planet, avoiding the fortress complex itself for obvious etiquette. It's also a great excuse to scan the area indicated to us by the Eldar.
2) Spend free time watching the troop movements to learn about a bit more about combined arms warfare.
3) See if we can establish a private comms channel with Governor-General so we can talk about more sensitive things. Like whether his daughter is currently in danger.

As for Symonne, "Look into these talented locals the Traders have recruited, and/or see if any of the Traders have any close allies or lovers, old or new. The Governor's daughter might be disguised."

"I'm sure I'd be happy to tell you all about that when you arrive for your formal debriefing and integration with my forces. I don't want to get carried away with that topic when we should be discussing the terms of our coalition. For example, I can offer you ⅔ ownership of any spoil you take, with the rest going to the war chest."

I'm still not sure what else you're expecting to find. The area indicated by the Eldar is within the fortress complex, making this order impossible to carry out.

Presumably this means you're finally leaving the Genetor's landing zone and returning to the ship.

There is little troop movement you can see from space and just as little you can see from the air. Still the frequencies you where given earlier contain a good many military drama, historic documentaries, and apparently tactically accurate fiction. The historic documentaries are the most dry, but the most informative with the basics being explained like you where a small child. Probably because they're meant for small children. The military drama tend to be set in historic wars with some obvious liberties taken, unless the God Emperor physically showed up in the Governor-General's room and whispered the path to victory in his ear in reality. Still they are more entertaining then the documentaries while covering much of the same material, albeit in a way that assumes you're familiar with the local history and culture. You notice that some shows tend to be aimed at the fortress audience, while others tend be be aimed at the warriors. This isn't necessarily based on the content of the shows but rather the values of the characters.  It is particularly obvious when the content overlap. For example in the fortress version of a famous last stand where a group of soldiers held a gate against overwhelming firepower, they where motivated by a strong sense of duty on the orders of their superior officer. In the warrior version the officer died before giving the order and the soldiers are the ones who decide to hold out of bravery and honor. Spreading out further most fiction on the planet is violent or military in nature, as one would expect from a people who's lives revolve around the military. Even the children's shows have propaganda and tactics - for example the most popular local cartoon is about a clever little Dino who outsmarts bumbling Eldar invaders with strategies and traps that seem to be practically useful - though their wounds are comical rather than deadly.

Of course there is only so much you can gain by watching vids in your ship. Your seneschal has recently uncovered contacts for one the top military academy, if you truly want to learn about combined arms warfare that would be the likely place to go.

You set up communication with the Governor-General. Presumably well after you're done talking to the rogue trader.

As the Captain orders! Look into that talented swordfighter and skilled pilot that the two traders have hired, get identities and whatever can be found about their histories. Do a bit of probing into the traders' known associates both professional and personal.

The swordfighter goes by the name Swatzer, said to be a powerfully built man who wields a two handed chain sword. He was adopted by a Colonel after his parents died protecting that Colonel's life, and as a result ended up being apprenticed to a famous swordmaster. He learned well and was considered a peachkeeper candidate until his name was quietly removed from the candidate list for unknown reasons.

The pilot is named Barl, currently active duty in the PDF's aerospace force. Compared to the others he lived a relatively normal life as a Warrior in the colder portion of the planet. When he came of age he responded to the draft and it was determined he had the aptitude to be a pilot. So he was put through training and put in the sky. He clearly still has a warrior's heart despite being in a profession mostly filled with fortress dwellers, as can be attested by the fact he's fighting for the Trader despite still being technically employed by Rook's Crown. His own crowning achievement is likely his involvement in striking at the rival's ship.

Both traders have few known associates outside of the upper echelons they casually mingled with before the fighting broke out. They where simply here too short a time to make any meaningful connections outside of those who are currently supporting them directly, and there remains little way to get reliable information from off-world.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47