- 3 (11.5%)
Other (Mods or other)
- 2 (7.7%)
See results!
- 2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: July 12, 2022, 12:24:01 pm

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is your opinion for different races in dwarf fortress?  (Read 2565 times)

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile

I think that this topic has been already touched some years ago, i want to ask it again.

For example my opinion:

Dwarves are GIGA CHADS who don't mind dying.

My opinion for humans is differenced depending on its relations with me. Good Humans trade and respect, D**khead evil humans Launch sieges and try to kill me.

Elves are a Huge annoyance in any look of the game, trade, war, trees, wood trading...

Its just an example.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 12:27:23 pm by Fortressmaker »
Hello "Your name", i cant say i heard it before, the life is, in one word, Fortresses.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: What is your opinion for different races in dwarf fortress?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 02:53:37 pm »

Dwarves get strange moods and martial trances.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 02:56:19 pm »

Gotta respect dwarves for their madness, but kobolds are just hilariously dumb and adorable as a result.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 03:29:09 pm »

Nice choice 
Hello "Your name", i cant say i heard it before, the life is, in one word, Fortresses.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 03:08:03 am »

When it comes to the default game I prefer dwarves, but when it comes to mods I quite like the MLP ponies as I find it quite funny when they kill everything in sight in adventure mode.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 03:57:59 am »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) HAHAHAHA

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 06:59:56 am »

When it comes to the default game I prefer dwarves, but when it comes to mods I quite like the MLP ponies as I find it quite funny when they kill everything in sight in adventure mode.
Are they still like 400 pounds with huge stompy hooves that smash everything? Haven't looked at that mod in years but I seem to recall them being massively OP.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 10:57:26 am »

Like, the dwarves are obviously the most developed and interesting.  Everything else is rather (understandably) shallow.  Personally though, I think DF's version of goblins is interesting, with the way they are a free-willed race still restricted by their demonic society and leadership, and how goblins not needing to eat or drink is a more mechanics-/worldgen-driven decision that nontheless gives them a bit of engaging lore relating to what that implies about their roles and purpose (in the eyes of their demon overlords) and that it genuinely makes them very threatening on a world-wide scale.

I do wish animal people had a bit more going on.  Some day, I'm sure.  Right now they are really fun and interesting to play in Adventurer Mode but, Adventurer Mode isn't in a good enough place for that to mean much, as potentially not fitting any armor or clothing in the game, and having extra limbs (like wings) that, unprotected by clothing or armor, can be crippled by a scratch with no means of healing.

Really this will ALL change once the Myth & Magic release happens.  Probably some time around like, 2027 I'd bet?  Then we can all have threads being like "what procedurally-generated playable cryptid species is your favorite? mine is the taupe-skinned eight-handed dwelvin, which I like for their colorful sprays"

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 11:03:40 am »

It's true, I think too that the animal people could be more developed?... I don't know. But they're quite an interesting races. :)

sanpypr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 02:06:56 pm »

i'm chill with literally any race besides goblins, though i tend to like humans and dwarves the most

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 04:21:56 pm »

I like all of them.  Of course we play Dwarfs because we start with them, I like Goblins as they make good Mayors, and I like the Elves because they bring interesting fruits and animals.  I wish more Animal People would show up in Fortress mod and visit/join the Fortresses I create.  Flying military squads would be so cool!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 04:49:31 pm »

I wish more Animal People would show up in Fortress mod and visit/join the Fortresses I create.  Flying military squads would be so cool!

That would be sick.  Respond to a winged forgotten beast with a squad of flying spearmen... 

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 01:35:20 am »

Are they still like 400 pounds with huge stompy hooves that smash everything? Haven't looked at that mod in years but I seem to recall them being massively OP.
Possibly the version I have is pretty dang old, and it would explain how they're so good at kicking everything to death.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 07:21:12 pm »

"Sssssubterranean animal peoplesssss are the besssssst."
 - Serpent People possess a [LISP] token in their RAWs which makes them talk like this.

For real though, the subterranean animal people civ entity needs some much needed love.
Or maybe just adding new civ entity definition for various above ground animal people. People seem to love animal people showing up in game. And the only civs they seem to be able to form are criminal syndicates, which are not especially well documented or understood.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 06:51:22 am »

For real though, the subterranean animal people civ entity needs some much needed love.

Didn't Toady mention in a devlog/fotf reply that the subterranean animal people will have some kind of revamp for the Steam release? (Or maybe I'm just imagining?)
Pages: [1] 2