Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Items in Adventure mode  (Read 1624 times)

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
Fortress Items in Adventure mode
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:50:00 am »

I know this has been done to death, but I'm about to make a quick dash for adamantine, make a full set of plate armor, shield and a sword and then abandon for my adventurer- mainly because of how hard it is to find good (or any, for that matter) weapons and armor.

Now, every version had a different way to save their location, I've heard some say leave them on a secluded z-level, some say there's nothing you can do, some tell me they need to be in a bin with an iron item.

What do I do? I plan to make the plot 2x2, so that should help.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Items in Adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

So far as I've heard, heavy bins don't get thrown around as far.

My recommendation is then to put the armor in a bin with a lot of heavy iron armor, so that it ends up weighing 40,000 and not moving.

Do make sure you don't release demons.  They like to eat adventurers.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

Yeah, I'll be savescumming until I strike the glowing pit once, rewall it and then get to work.

Also, is there some way I can forge something other than a short sword? Remove or add some tag in the .init file so they can make a greatsword or a scimitar.

And will dwarven made armor be usable by humans? Can I edit something to make it so?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

Dwarven armor is not wearable  by humans.  If you want it to be, you need to make dwarves the same size as humans.  This is possible, but I don't know if it will take effect until a new world is generated.

As for making different items, I KNOW that doesn't take effect until after a new world is generated.

For making dwarves the same size as humans, open up the creature_standard.txt file and find the dwarf entry.  Find the tag "[STOUT]" and remove it.  Then find the tag "[SIZE:6]" and change it to "[SIZE:7]".

Please note that, due to martial trances and natural body armor, once you make this change there will be absolutely no reason to play as a human, since the dwarves will be inherently better.  Even as it is now, dwarves have got it pretty good.

For getting more items, go into the entity_default.txt file and root around until you find stuff like "[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG]" in the non-dwarf profiles.  Then just copy and paste them into the dwarf profile.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

Wait, can't I just add [CIV CONTROLLABLE] to the entity file and then make a human settlement, make human armor/weaponry, abandon it and go grab it with my human?

That'd be pretty cool. Do I need to generate a new world to add Civ control? I kinda like the title I got (Seran Bladeking the Untamed Zephyr of Puzzles)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

Yeah, you can do that.  But yes, it'd need another world.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

Okay, this is strange. Nothing I do in the raw folder is showing up in game. I'm editing things (like the free adamantine cheat and civ controllable), generating new worlds, and nothing is changing.

I'm using a graphical interface. Does that have something to do with it?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

Graphical interface?  What, you mean like not opening up the files with a command prompt?  Or what?  I don't think anyone here opens the stuff through a prompt, except maybe some of the Linux boys who didn't go for the visuals.

Just checking, but you are editing the files inside of raw/objects and not data/objects, right?  The only other thing I can think of is that somehow the tags aren't being recognized.  Check the errorlog.txt file in your main DF directory.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

No, I mean I downloaded graphics because I didn't grow up playing Rogue and Adventure.

I don't see anything in the errorlog save for unrecognized creature tokens and pathfails.

And I'm definitely editing the raw texts.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Yeah, a graphic tileset will have absolutely no effect on anything except appearances.

What are the unrecognized creature tokens?

Also, make sure you label the new worlds you're generating (just rename the folder) so you can tell which one to go into...  I've gotten lost a few too many times before...

Are you editing stuff inside the preexisting files or adding new ones?  I doubt this is the problem, but it's worth asking about.

I'd like to see the parts that you changed, just to check for any problems.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

When you generate a new world, you need to delete all the stuff in your objects folder.

I have no idea what that would do to your existing worlds but it can't be good.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

Unless you add/remove/rename files from the raws, you don't need to delete the stuff in data.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

I seem to remember I had a hard time editing the raws when I had that problem with the sand.  I did a few things, and one of them must have worked, I just can't remember which one.
-The raws backed themselves up or something, and I had to keep my backup file in a different folder, and delete the autoback inside the raw/objects folder.
-I abandoned the fortress and reclaimed it.  Wasn't a hard choice for me, considering as it was on fire at the time.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

Whew, it's working. Deleted the /objects/ folder (backed it up, of course) and now it's fine. Awesome. Thanks.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

Oh, and while I'm blatantly cheating, is there some way to mess with artifact creation so that my metalsmith goes into a fey mood twice a day and makes lots of adamantine artifacts?
Pages: [1] 2