Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Crispy Boys: The Inevitable Domination of Humanity by Gene-Edited Genius (Outs?)  (Read 1954 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I'm hopeful that I can offer some marginal help to future generations. Most of us only do a little bit, but it adds up, I figure.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So in the future everyone will be the Übermensch because everyone is genetically modified to be better than regular humans, but what do the Übermensch do with the regular non modified humans?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

In any case, this "WHAT IF AI?!" "WHAT IF GENE MODIFICATION?!" alarmism is silly because there's a more direct, imminent, and realistic threat to humanity: climate change. We, as a society, should at least try to get that under control before worrying about scenarios that are basically science fiction.

basically science fiction

Our lives are basically science fiction. We're living in an exponential technological change curve. You're wrong-headed.

Yeah. Assuming climate change or nuclear war doesn't kill us, human civilization has been through far worse.

Yes...

Looks around

but never in this context.

It's not a matter of our credentials. It's also not about 'established problems', because... exponential technological change curve. 20 years away is a long long way away. It's about crossing our fingers and finding our fortune.

Despite my WTF moment regarding this particular story

Realisticness check; Gene-editing is a edge. We need edges. People like edges.

You shouldn't be surprised.
1. Life doesn't work like in the movies. That was my point. Focusing on those issues is counterproductive because climate change is an imminent concern.
2. Word salad.
So in the future everyone will be the Übermensch because everyone is genetically modified to be better than regular humans, but what do the Übermensch do with the regular non modified humans?
Who knows. I hope it's not genocide or the like. Anything else I am content with.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 01:18:23 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who knows. I hope it's not genocide or the like. Anything else I am content with.
Even if they want to use us as slaves?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

2. Word salad.

Explicitly explain what isn't understood.

We ARE living in a time of exponential progress. That means exactly what it sounds like.

Grasp that the internet has a certain acceleration effect. The machines we build, only make it easier to build the next machine. It's not complicated.

In a nutshell man; it's not like it is in the movies, until it is and the elephants are charging you.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 02:45:46 am by Scoops Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even if they want to use us as slaves?
X to doubt.

2. Word salad.

Explicitly explain what isn't understood.

We ARE living in a time of exponential progress. That means exactly what it sounds like.

Grasp that the internet has a certain acceleration effect. The machines we build, only make it easier to build the next machine. It's not complicated.

In a nutshell man; it's not like it is in the movies, until it is and the elephants are charging you.
Exponential progress is indeed a thing, but climate change is a more imminent and certain concern. Until and unless it is solved, this is merely alarmist drivel. Life is indeed not like technophobic Hollywood movies.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

It's widely agreed that unmanageable climate change is a 20 year + problem, yes?

Gene-editing aside, does it look like our technological fears are 20 years away?

I dispute that you understand the implications of exponential progress if you think this. The main weakness of green movements is that they're smart enough to get climate change, but not smart enough to get this.
Reading a thinner book

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gene-editing aside, does it look like our technological fears are 20 years away?
Yes. Yes, it does. True AI is nowhere near, and I have serious doubts gene-editing is potentially an issue on the same scale as climate change AT ALL. And we will begin to feel the effects of climate change far earlier than in 20 years.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

It's widely agreed that unmanageable climate change is a 20 year + problem, yes?

uhhh buddy they said that 20 years ago.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Yes. Yes, it does. True AI is nowhere near, and I have serious doubts gene-editing is potentially an issue on the same scale as climate change AT ALL. And we will begin to feel the effects of climate change far earlier than in 20 years.

Robotics is blooming. "Mundane" gene-editing of viruses is certainly a 20 year problem. You don't need True AI to radically change people's lives. And this leaves out the main question of technological surprises.

Exponential change is fundamentally something that can go from a drip to a flood at a moments notice.
Reading a thinner book

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Robotics is blooming. "Mundane" gene-editing of viruses is certainly a 20 year problem. You don't need True AI to radically change people's lives. And this leaves out the main question of technological surprises.

Exponential change is fundamentally something that can go from a drip to a flood at a moments notice.
Hmmm yes, change the subject from genemodding humans to genemodding viruses. Anyways, I can see it being a problem if a terrorist organization creates a super-plague using it. I'll concede that.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gene modding anything is something any group could use to fuck over everyone if they do it right.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Hmmm yes, change the subject from genemodding humans to genemodding viruses. Anyways, I can see it being a problem if a terrorist organization creates a super-plague using it. I'll concede that.

To be fair Max, in my previous reply I did say "gene-editing aside" in this discussion about technology over climate change.
Reading a thinner book

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know I just realized the title says Crispy Boys and it got me wondering what makes them crispy are they deep fried, badly burnt, oven roasted, or something else?
Pages: 1 2 [3]