Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make ore blocks?  (Read 1050 times)

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make ore blocks?
« on: June 03, 2022, 04:52:42 pm »

So I've got a lot of hematite going on, and i wanna make some dark red blocks for aesthetic purposes, however my mason workshops don't seem to recognize the ores next to them when I go into the details screen.

Do ores not count as workable stone to a mason?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make ore blocks?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 04:57:19 pm »

So I've got a lot of hematite going on, and i wanna make some dark red blocks for aesthetic purposes, however my mason workshops don't seem to recognize the ores next to them when I go into the details screen.

Do ores not count as workable stone to a mason?
You have to hit z and go into the Stones tab.  Ordinarily, metal ore is prohibited as a building material, but in that menu, you can scroll down to the stone you want and enable using it that way.  If you only specifically want a limited number of such items, you should turn it back off afterwards, to avoid ending up with 100 hematite blocks that can't be used for anything but building.

The main reason I do this is if a dwarf has a preference for an ore, I want to make things out of that ore, rather than the metal.

Another is for marble.  I believe flux stones are ordinarily disabled for building, but sometimes I have so much I might as well just build stuff out of it too.

Also just in general, if you run into these things, if you're trying to build something out of a stone (particularly ores and flux), and you know you have it, and can reach it, and have no burrow issues, and it is not designated forbidden, or being used in a task, or in a bin and suffering Armok knows which specific bin bug, but you still can't choose that material (or even see it in the menu), it is probably blocked in the Stones tab.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 05:02:27 pm by muldrake »