Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!(IC)  (Read 22184 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!(IC)
« Reply #270 on: June 20, 2022, 08:09:29 pm »

With the ceremony over, the soldiers unceremoniously part for their 12 hour leave. Many of the men quest forth to seek out the last drops of liquor in the town taverns. Others enjoy the hospitality of the civilians. Still the more diligent prepare for the next fight rather than enjoy their last hours of peace. Gilliam has set up an underground gambling ring in a now emptied bunker, hoping to make a profit from both the regiment's soldiers and the local PDF. Alrin takes his duty to keep an eye on Bahzil seriously and follows him around to make sure he doesn't spontaneously transform into a rift that summons a horde of demons to devour the world. Havir is participating in a local ballgame between your regiment and the PDF forces. It involves getting a ball through a hoop in a tree using nothing but your feet. The Knights tend to be more athletic than the conscript PDF, but the PDF know the game better giving them a clear edge (at least for now). The Prince and his retinue plan the path of attack and work to establish a better communication network with the locals.

Go requisition a proper autocannon for our siege tower, then.
The Multilas seemed to have performed admirably in perforating the tren, and Eltiazh doesn't have any opinion of heavy weapons, but that guy says it's a good idea and that other guy says that real bullets are better than lasers. And Eltiazh doesn't mind doing some paperwork.

Currently the Logistics office is setup in a Prefab on the edge of town. Anyone can tell at a glance that the building is foreign to this world, and gear is traveling back and forth through its doors at rush hour pace. You can see they have connected it to the local power grid to refuel the spent laser beams. Inside it is essentially a warehouse with shelves filled with Imperial Guard equipment. Manning the front desk is a young woman, from a world you are unfamiliar with sent here by the Department Munitorium. You wait in a single file line until your turn comes up.

She takes your Autocannon request and unceremoniously hits it with a rubber stamp and puts it in a pile. She then hands you a stub and has you wait in a second line.

At the end of this second line you turn your stub in, and a young local man brings you a 200 liter drum. "Be careful with that acid miss. This stuff will tear the hide off an Ork for sure."

If we're fighting at night, we might need to do something up close and sneaky.  And my carbine sucks for that.

Requisition a gun good for point-blank range.

(Dunno if a combat shotgun or an autopistol would be better.  Combat shotgun looks better, but there might be issues with weight or readying the weapon when needed.)

You wait in line trying with your half-finished requisition sheet wondering which gun is right for you. There are plenty of options after all.

Autopistols can be wielded one handed. So can your las-carbine with some difficulty. If you are in a fight you could potentially wield-or even fire-both at the same time. You would have a harder time hitting than normal but if you're planning on being at point-blank range it wouldn't matter anyway. Autopistols will have better damage potential at long ranges where the shotgun can't hit, and can be used to suppress enemies more effectively as an automatic weapon. As a pistol you can also use it in a melee fight, if you don't feel like using your bayonet. Still they have less ammunition and are less likely to get past the Ork's thick skin.

A combat shutgun can do some major damage if you stick it in an Ork's face and pull the trigger. You saw that the locals have shotguns too, so you can probably get your hands on some slugs for longer range shooting pretty easily. Since they had armor piercing ammunition they might have something more exotic for shotguns too. In the end they'll hit harder and be easier to hit with, but if an Ork survives and starts hitting you you'll have to switch to something melee to hit them back.

In the back of your mind you also ponder other options. Flamers can be very effective at close range both against Orks and vehicles, and you could potentially get an Exterminator cartridge to add to your weapon instead of getting a full flamer. You also remember that you're well trained with lasguns. If you switch your Carbine to Overloaded you'll do more damage than a shotgun and get more hits at anything further than point-blank range. You could always get an upgrade to it instead!

Hmm.

Requisition a Combat Shotgun

In the end you decide a Combat Shotgun is perfect for you and you finish the form. You hand it in, get it stamped, and get a stub as the Nurse had. After waiting through the second line you hand the stub in and get a crate. You open it up to great your new shotgun!

But instead facing you is a crate filled with 20 grenades. 5 are armor-pricing Krack, 5 are smoke grenades, 5 are fire bombs, and 5 are frag. Enough for the whole squad but not exactly a close-combat weapon.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 20, 2022, 08:45:48 pm »

"Glorious! The Department Munitorium has truly blessed us with a worthy weapon, then. For the Emperor!"

Hopefully I can borrow a handcart to move this with...

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 20, 2022, 08:56:32 pm »

I'll just pass out the grenades, one of each kind to each member.  Doubt we'll have trouble in inspection from that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2022, 10:06:20 pm »

((This is going well))

Requisition a bullpup lasgun
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2022, 10:27:38 pm »

"Glorious! The Department Munitorium has truly blessed us with a worthy weapon, then. For the Emperor!"

Hopefully I can borrow a handcart to move this with...

"For the Emperor!"

He leaves, taking the handcart with him.

Fortunately the field hospital is right across from the Logistics Office. Some of the less-gravely injured soldiers you helped earlier notice your plight and offer to help carry your acid back to your Chimera (or wherever else in town you want it to go.)

I'll just pass out the grenades, one of each kind to each member.  Doubt we'll have trouble in inspection from that.

Everyone receives 1 Krack, 1 smoke, and 1 frag grenade in addition to a firebomb!

((This is going well))

Requisition a bullpup lasgun

Line 1: Hand in your form.
Line 2: Hand in your ticket

You receive: A Bullpup Lasgun!

"Take good care of her sir. You'll have to make do with your current amount of power packs, I hope that won't be a problem."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2022, 10:32:37 pm »

Bring it to the siege tower, we'll think of something to do with it later. The Emperor reveals the way.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2022, 09:58:10 am »

Bahzil looks around at his colleagues not getting the things they had asked for and nods absent-mindedly.

Uh… yes, of course. Thanks.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 22, 2022, 02:27:22 pm »

Since I have Trade: Chemist, perhaps I could read the label on my acid to figure out what exactly it is, or if there's no label use my equipment to test it?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 22, 2022, 03:21:44 pm »

((If I traded away my lascarbine, would that become a problem if I were to be inspected seeing as how I technically got a replacement with the bullpup Lasgun?))

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 22, 2022, 04:01:02 pm »

Having observed the results of his squadmates, Gunnar carefully requisitions "not a sniper rifle".

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 22, 2022, 06:26:57 pm »

Bring it to the siege tower, we'll think of something to do with it later. The Emperor reveals the way.

You bring it back to your siege tower. Workers are swarming over it like ants loudly slamming the metal plates back into place. Your team puts the acid in the back. It takes up enough space for one human, if that ever becomes relevant. The injured troops thank you again before going back to resting their various ailments.

Since I have Trade: Chemist, perhaps I could read the label on my acid to figure out what exactly it is, or if there's no label use my equipment to test it?

The label is a picture that appears to be meant for illiterate hiveworld drones showing the eating away at a bar of unknown material. While hardly informative it does add a sense of danger to your following tests. You lack the equipment to examine the acid in any meaningful way, your main form of diagnostics being your diagnostor, which is basically a gun that tells you everything that is wrong with someone and how to treat them. Which is immensely handy given you don't have an extensive medical background.

Scanning the acid with your only available tool suggests that it is in fact a bioacid of some kind. Likely a very powerful one.

((If I traded away my lascarbine, would that become a problem if I were to be inspected seeing as how I technically got a replacement with the bullpup Lasgun?))

To put it this way, if you joined the army and told your commanding officer you sold your issued gun away since you had a second one how do you think he would respond? Now instead of being in a modern army, you are in a grimdark future where they shoot people for cowardice?

On the other hand the lascarbine is part of your standard kit, so if you trade it away you will be issued a second one. Assuming you can get away with it. Which will be pretty hard with the no-lying thing. Really makes a life of crime difficult.

Having observed the results of his squadmates, Gunnar carefully requisitions "not a sniper rifle".

Years aboard a Rogue Trader ship have spoiled you. Now instead of being given a gun on a silver platter with a side of flowers, you have to wait in a long line like a peasant. And after all that waiting they give you what you specifically didn't ask for.

Your new sniper rifle is of a local design, a bolt-action slug thrower with jungle wood furniture and iron sights. It has a 20 round box magazine, somehow. It has several hooks for a sling but doesn't come with one (presumably because a sling is not not a sniper rifle).

The man who handed the weapon to you also hands you an extra magazine. You have 40 bullets altogether. "Your new piece takes the standard ammo on this world. If you need to requisition any in the field just look for bullets that are the same size as these. The bigger ones they use for the Heavy stubbers, they won't work. The little ones are made for handguns, they're too small. The ones that are this size are just right." he helpfully explains.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2022, 06:52:44 pm »

Gunnar softly snuggles his new gun while thanking the NPC for his help regarding the bullets. He certainly wouldn't have ever thought of getting bullets the right size on his own.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2022, 07:07:03 pm »

Go see what the local rations are like.  Maybe some local would be okay to trade one for one.

(Ready to go.)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2022, 07:24:17 pm »

Go see what the local rations are like.  Maybe some local would be okay to trade one for one.

(Ready to go.)

Local rations consist of canned salted meat, canned biscuits, canned nuts, and canned "soup" that is a solid for unknown reasons. They're mostly inoffensively salty in flavor (including the biscuits) but can easily be traded for your own inoffensively standard gruel. As you are in a habitated city there are more options especially for short-term. While the local food supply has been hampered by the war, the locals are still giving out free food to their saviors. Much of which consists of long-lasting chocolate candies. There is a Grox cookout among the surviving PDF. Grox are currently too militarily valuable as pack creatures to slaughter intentionally, but a few died in the last Ork attack making them fair game for eating.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2022, 07:38:35 pm »

"Well, it isn't fish.  That's good.  Although I swear these are the same biscuits."
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37